My "DUH" moment & carseat storage ?

nrs377

I was fretting over how to do what we would like to in Cozumel (renting a car and going to the east side then spending the rest of our time at a beachclub on the west side) still keep the kids safe (2yr & 3yr) and doing it fairly easily. I've been going to bed at night and these things just keep going through my head. Then last night just as I had gotten in bed, dreading how my mind was going to start racing trying to figure out what to do...the light bulb went off (you know, the one that lights up above your head when you have an idea). Anyhow, I was afraid that if we took their carseats, we would be lugging them onboard, through the ship, then disembarking w/ them through crowds of people. This is where the "DUH" part happens....I just have them checked and delivered w/ the rest of the luggage!!! I could use the luggage straps to tie them to our suitcase and transfer from the car to the ship, they're checked & delivered to our cabin, then do the opposite at the end of the cruise. We can get the straps that let us carry them like a backpack on the pier, straight to the rental car. The only thing is I would wait a bit before getting off and back on ship in Cozumel so we don't hold up the other passengers by lugging these bulky seats, trying to keep up w/ 2 toddlers, and all those little things you have to take along. Now I have to request a rental w/ working seatbelts. Now that I'm done babbling I have a question for those who have taken carseats along in port. Where do you store them if you go to the beach? Would the beachclub put them behind the desk for you? I can't imagine dragging them onto the beach. Thanks

I can appreciate how much car seats can be a pain to transport! They are necessary, but they are sure heavy!

For general transport, I can suggest something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=car+seat+bag&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zYB&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivs&resnum=1&biw=1280&bih=630&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5429395993334702238&ei=u_TnTMnwE8WAlAfKhODOCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CGwQ8wIwAA# We had something similar from Eddie Bauer and it's been a lifesaver. We've been able to fit two carseats into it and it's saved them from a lot of damage.

As for your port excursion, if you know you are going to need them, you'll have to carry them off the pier and to your rental car (is this just for the day, or for a period of time after your cruise?). Can you carry your kid/s in a back carrier and put your car seats on a stroller to help carry them?

Now that we have two car seats to worry about, this does impact what kind of excursions we decide on... I try to find something that doesn't involve a lot of transport! Oh well, only a few more years until they are both in booster seats... they weigh a lot less! (can your 3 year old fit in a booster yet?)

And yes... definately check that the rental car has the right seatbelts!

Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for an option Seraphine. We'll most likely get those carseat carriers, each one of us will wear one and stroll a child in an umbrella stroller. My kids are pretty heavy, so I'd rather carry the car seat on my back rather than one of kids :)

Is your 3yo heavy enough for a backless booster? My DD is 3 and we plan on taking a Harmony backless booster for her. She weighs about 34 lbs. I researched it and it has a high safety rating fron the Insurance Institute for Highway safety. http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr090810.html

Many backless boosters have a minimum weight requirement of 40 lbs. The Harmony has a 30 lb minimum. I bought a bag for it online here: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=352757&cmSource=Search

The bag and booster are very light-weight. We plan on checking the booster through as luggage. Keep in mind that you do not have to pay for your car seat to be checked as long as it is the only thing in the bag. It is considered to be necessary equipment. I have never paid for checking our carseat. I use a CARES restraint onboard the aircraft.

I am sure that this option is not as safe as our Britax. When we travel I usually take our Sunshine Kids Radian 80. It folds and fits in its own bag but is very heavy. We feel that for our needs, the Harmony will work well and she will be reasonably protected. It would not work if she were younger and lighter. I will also make sure that any vehicle that she is in has shoulder-belt seatbelts. That is the only way that a backless booster is safe.

Good luck and have a nice cruise!

Is your 3yo heavy enough for a backless booster? My DD is 3 and we plan on taking a Harmony backless booster for her. She weighs about 34 lbs. I researched it and it has a high safety rating fron the Insurance Institute for Highway safety. http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr090810.html

Many backless boosters have a minimum weight requirement of 40 lbs. The Harmony has a 30 lb minimum. I bought a bag for it online here: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=352757&cmSource=Search

The bag and booster are very light-weight. We plan on checking the booster through as luggage. Keep in mind that you do not have to pay for your car seat to be checked as long as it is the only thing in the bag. It is considered to be necessary equipment. I have never paid for checking our carseat. I use a CARES restraint onboard the aircraft.

I am sure that this option is not as safe as our Britax. When we travel I usually take our Sunshine Kids Radian 80. It folds and fits in its own bag but is very heavy. We feel that for our needs, the Harmony will work well and she will be reasonably protected. It would not work if she were younger and lighter. I will also make sure that any vehicle that she is in has shoulder-belt seatbelts. That is the only way that a backless booster is safe.

Good luck and have a nice cruise!

I know in Canada the reason for the 40lb limit is that seatbelt emergency locking retractors (ELR) engage unless the child is at least 40 lbs. From your post it sounds like US seatbelts may be different...thus why you can use a booster with a 30 lbs limit.

I know a lot about Canadian car seats and seatbelts, I really know nothing about the US ones. Honestly I assumed (yes, I know...) that since most vehicles are made for both countries with minor modifications that the seatbelts would have the same ELR limits.

I know in Canada the reason for the 40lb limit is that seatbelt emergency locking retractors (ELR) engage unless the child is at least 40 lbs. From your post it sounds like US seatbelts may be different...thus why you can use a booster with a 30 lbs limit.

I know a lot about Canadian car seats and seatbelts' date=' I really know nothing about the US ones. Honestly I assumed (yes, I know...) that since most vehicles are made for both countries with minor modifications that the seatbelts would have the same ELR limits.[/quote']

I don't know how Harmony gets around the 40 lb thing. I even went to their website to double-check this. All I know is that, from my research online, I only read good things about this booster seat. DD is probably going to weight about 35 lbs by the time we go. She is growing fast! I really struggled with this decision. We just have SO MUCH STUFF to take since we are traveling as a family of 5. We are not going on excursions that require a lot of driving. I also can't imagine lugging our big car-seat onto the beach!

Compared to most Moms that I know, I am a car-seat safety nut. My now teenaged 2 DS's were in boosters until they were 60 lbs. They HATED it. I was genuinely SHOCKED at how many of my kid's friends were in a lap belt with no booster at 3-4 years old! We plan to leave DD in a 5 point harness for as long as possible.

I'll add one thing...our kids are now in booster seats but when they were still in car seats, we checked the seats in our Eddie Bauer car seat bags. If we found that one of our bags were overweight (over 50lbs) when checking our bags in, we always took a portion from the suitcase and threw it in the car seat bag with the car seat. It saved us a few times and nobody at check-in ever questioned us adding weight to the car seat bag. We usually fly Delta/Northwest and Spirit. :)

I don't know how Harmony gets around the 40 lb thing. I even went to their website to double-check this. All I know is that, from my research online, I only read good things about this booster seat. DD is probably going to weight about 35 lbs by the time we go. She is growing fast! I really struggled with this decision. We just have SO MUCH STUFF to take since we are traveling as a family of 5. We are not going on excursions that require a lot of driving. I also can't imagine lugging our big car-seat onto the beach!

Compared to most Moms that I know, I am a car-seat safety nut. My now teenaged 2 DS's were in boosters until they were 60 lbs. They HATED it. I was genuinely SHOCKED at how many of my kid's friends were in a lap belt with no booster at 3-4 years old! We plan to leave DD in a 5 point harness for as long as possible.

I too am a car-seat nut...that's why I took the course and became a car seat tech :) DS1 was harnessed in a Britax Frontier until he was 5.5 yrs and that's only because he outgrew the top harness slot and there are no taller harnessed seats in Canada. Poor DS2 is much shorter and will be harnessed until he's 8 at this rate lol!

I'll see if I can find out more about the Harmony booster, but likely not because all my contacts are Canadian.

ETA The reason is that the US minimum for using a booster is 30lbs, in Canada it is 40lbs. My source didn't have a reason, but according to Consumer Reports (I know, not the best source of info but the only thing I could find on a Sunday night!) it has to do with different regulations in Canada versus US. So bottom line you are using the seat as it is designed to be used, so it should be fine. Just make sure to start coaching your DD on how to sit properly in the seat (no wiggling around, un-doing the seatbelt etc) and it should be fine. Personally I still worry about the ports, but I can't find anything on-line about the car seat regulations in St Thomas :)

I don't mean to sound stupid but...if it's ok to put a 30lb. child in a booster seat that only uses the cars seatbelt...why do we use carseats after the child has reached 30lbs.? Are carseats much safer than the boosters? Maybe I'm just too tired right now to know this sounds like a dumb question.

I don't mean to sound stupid but...if it's ok to put a 30lb. child in a booster seat that only uses the cars seatbelt...why do we use carseats after the child has reached 30lbs.? Are carseats much safer than the boosters? Maybe I'm just too tired right now to know this sounds like a dumb question.

I'm pretty sure that it has to do with how the seatbelt straps fit across the child. The booster lifts them up so that the shoulder belt goes across the shoulder and does not lay across the neck. The lap belt also needs to go across the hips and not come across the belly. If it does not fit properly, they can get serious abdominal injuries. A small child's liver extends into the abdominal cavity and, if injured, can cause a child to bleed to death quickly. The child can also slip though an adult seatbelt in a violent accident and be expelled from the car. When the child reaches a certain height and weight, it is safe for them to travel with no booster. The safest way for a child to travel in a car is with a 5-point harness. These include car seats, convertable car seats, and convertable booster seats. They hold the child more securely and distribute their weight in an accident. There are seats available today that have 5 point harnesses for children up to 80 lbs or more.

I'm pretty sure that it has to do with how the seatbelt straps fit across the child. The booster lifts them up so that the shoulder belt goes across the shoulder and does not lay across the neck. The lap belt also needs to go across the hips and not come across the belly. If it does not fit properly, they can get serious abdominal injuries. A small child's liver extends into the abdominal cavity and, if injured, can cause a child to bleed to death quickly. The child can also slip though an adult seatbelt in a violent accident and be expelled from the car. When the child reaches a certain height and weight, it is safe for them to travel with no booster. The safest way for a child to travel in a car is with a 5-point harness. These include car seats, convertable car seats, and convertable booster seats. They hold the child more securely and distribute their weight in an accident. There are seats available today that have 5 point harnesses for children up to 80 lbs or more.

It also has to do with head excursion, which is how far forward the head travels in a frontal collision. Less is better, and a child will have less head excursion in a 5 point harness and top tethered car seat. This can prevent spinal cord injuries. It also has to do with the situation where the seatbelt fails. The 40lb+ child has less chance of serious injury and/or being ejected from the vehicle than a 30lb child. Even with a car seat installed with a seat belt, if the belt fails the top tether will keep the child in the car...which is the minimum protection that can be offered in the situation. Ejection is far worse.

The other bit about using a seat belt versus 5 point harness is the age and maturity of a child. My just-3yo son is 32 lbs and could not sit properly in a seatbelt - he would undo it while we were moving, and would definitely have his head hanging forward while sleeping. One of the criteria for a child moving to a booster seat is being able to stay properly positioned in the seatbelt at all times, including if they fall asleep. Some kids hit 30 lbs by their second birthday...definitely not ready for a booster. The 40lb limit in Canada somewhat gets around this, although I've seen 3 yr olds hit 40 lbs and their parents have them in a booster when really they should be harnessed.

In Canada we only have seats that harness to 65 lbs, but apparently the higher weight limits are coming...which is a good thing!

I'll add one thing...our kids are now in booster seats but when they were still in car seats, we checked the seats in our Eddie Bauer car seat bags. If we found that one of our bags were overweight (over 50lbs) when checking our bags in, we always took a portion from the suitcase and threw it in the car seat bag with the car seat. It saved us a few times and nobody at check-in ever questioned us adding weight to the car seat bag. We usually fly Delta/Northwest and Spirit. :)

We used to do this all the time, but some of the airlines are tightening their belts on this. Even when my son was a lap baby, I always got to carry the carseat bag and my stroller on for free, in addition to a bag for him. Now, a lap baby is given a small weight allowance (our last two flights were 10kg) and the choice of EITHER a stroller or a carseat.

What I've done is combined both my kids' clothes into one bag which uses up my son's allowance (20kg). Then my infant daughter's allowance gets used on the carseat bag (I can fit a booster and a lightweight seat in the bag and it's usually under 10kg) and then I can still take the stroller. But it was a shock when I had to figure it all out the first time after spending so many years travelling without having to pay for baby gear.

** although... I know I've been overweight a few times with my bags, but I think the sight of me travelling with two small children must instill some sympathy in the desk agents as I haven't been charged yet. But I don't do it intentionally and I don't try to push my luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Love this carsesat thread, thanks for starting it!

I have a q about carseats too....we are sailing out of Port Canaveral, and flying into Orlando, which means we would have to bring our 4 yo's car seat with us. Do I just check it as normal at the airport, and then at the port?

We were in Ottawa last night watching (err, crying) at the Sens game...

Is your 4yo in a car seat (harness) or booster? If in a car seat, consider bringing it on the plane. I much prefer having my boys in their car seats rather than the plane seat, they know what's expected of them (sit quietly, fall asleep...) and it's safer in the event of an emergency. IMHO I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers to exert the caution required to ensure the seat is not damaged. If in a booster, consider packing it in your luggage. I recently bought a low-back with belt positioner for DS1 (5.5 yrs) and it fits in our regular luggage, so I can grab it once we land in Orlando.

Transport Canada has some great links on travelling with kids, I like Air Canada's site too. We're flying out of Syracuse for the first time with US Air, which is a new adventure :)

We were in Ottawa last night watching (err' date=' crying) at the Sens game...

Is your 4yo in a car seat (harness) or booster? If in a car seat, consider bringing it on the plane. I much prefer having my boys in their car seats rather than the plane seat, they know what's expected of them (sit quietly, fall asleep...) and it's safer in the event of an emergency. IMHO I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers to exert the caution required to ensure the seat is not damaged. If in a booster, consider packing it in your luggage. I recently bought a low-back with belt positioner for DS1 (5.5 yrs) and it fits in our regular luggage, so I can grab it once we land in Orlando.

Transport Canada has some great links on travelling with kids, I like Air Canada's site too. We're flying out of Syracuse for the first time with US Air, which is a new adventure :)[/quote']

HA! Glad to know we were crying together last night in Ottawa over the crappy game. HA! Our 4 yo right now is in a harness but likely by next October will be at the 40lb max (even though I'd like to keep her as long as possible in a harness). Thanks for the info on what you do, that helps. Funny you mention Syracuse, we are likely going to do the same thing, the flights with US Air out of SYR seem so much cheaper than out of Ottawa or Montreal this time around. :)

HA! Glad to know we were crying together last night in Ottawa over the crappy game. HA! Our 4 yo right now is in a harness but likely by next October will be at the 40lb max (even though I'd like to keep her as long as possible in a harness). Thanks for the info on what you do, that helps. Funny you mention Syracuse, we are likely going to do the same thing, the flights with US Air out of SYR seem so much cheaper than out of Ottawa or Montreal this time around. :)

He he he, we almost considered a cruise with Barbados as a port so we could go to Bert`s Bar with our Sens jerseys! Die hards...

We are booked on US Air out of SYR :) I have aeroplan points with Air Canada but the deal with US Air was still better...about half of what it was to fly out of Montreal or Toronto. I don`t even bother looking at Ottawa anymore because it`s so expensive and options are so limited.

I can post how it went when we get back mid January. We`re one of the school boards with the Dec 24-Jan 10 holiday this year, which makes for excellent cruise opportunities!

Archived