Fog in Tampa

jmps

We have an 11:15 flight out from Tampa on January 9th off the Ryndam. I have been reading more about fog being an issue sometimes that time of year. Should I be concerened? We went out of Tampa once before in March and had fog but I didn't think January would have the problem.

We have an 11:15 flight out from Tampa on January 9th off the Ryndam. I have been reading more about fog being an issue sometimes that time of year. Should I be concerened? We went out of Tampa once before in March and had fog but I didn't think January would have the problem.

We do have fog from time-to-time, but I don't ever recall it being a problem to the point that planes couldn't take off. Besides, by 11:15 am the fog would be burned off! ;) Happy sailing!

There is certainly the potential for fog issues in January (your concern would not be "will my plane take off" but "will the fog be bad when the ship gets back, such that it can't make it through the channel & to the pier"). The Skyway tragedy happened in late January 1980.

It can happen any time in the winter; it's not common for it to be so bad that the ships can't get in, but it does indeed happen. In general I'd suggest a later flight in the wintertime, but if you've already booked it I don't think I'd kill myself trying to change.

Valid point... the chances of the ship being delayed by fog in the wee hours of the morning are far greater than a flight leaving in mid-morning, but it still rarely happens. Even if your ship arrives a couple of hours late to harbor, you may still make an 11:15 am flight out of Tampa. Happy sailing! (BTW ~ a noteable correction: the Skyway tragedy actually happened in May of 1980.)

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was thinking about the ship not making it up through the bay in time to make the flight. We got stuck over night in Tampa a few years ago because of fog for this reason.

I am glad to hear it is rare in January. Thanks.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was thinking about the ship not making it up through the bay in time to make the flight. We got stuck over night in Tampa a few years ago because of fog for this reason.

I am glad to hear it is rare in January. Thanks.

No apology necessary, at all! My "bad" for not realizing what you were asking! ;) Winter is the more likely time for the fog to affect the ships coming into Port of Tampa... but I don't recall many cruise ships in the news for extended "fog delays". Let's hope the last time was just a fluke! :) Happy cruising!

Archived