Space Saving ideas in Balcony Cabin on Arcadia World Cruise

Merseyside Lass

We have booked to go on the Arcadia's 2012 World Cruise. We have cruised many times before, including this ship. Due to the length of the cruise we would like some feedback on ways of space saving in the cabin.

Is is correct that cabin stewards will take your cases away and put them in a luggage locker? If this is so, is it possible to get cases back to stow 'finished with clothing' ?

We are thinking about taking plastic shoe racks and underbed storage and even a clothes airer for the balcony/bathroom as we know the laundrettes are limited on Arcadia.

I don't think the clothes airer on the balcony would go down well with P&O. It would be fine for airing clothes in the cabin maybe.

Some underbed trays might be a good idea . If you keep your suitcases (or even one suitcase) under the bed then it would be more convenient for you to fill.

Yes, your cabin steward will take away any luggage that does not fit under the bed.

However, luggage that DOES fit under the bed is a good idea.

That way you can have your, not often used clothes, your extra toiletries and very much more, at hand, when needed.

I believe from our experience on many long cruises, including a world cruise, that luggage stored by your cabin steward needs to be empty. I don't know how kindly they would be about to-ing and fro-ing with luggage, as and when when you required it.

The clothes airer is a no no, IMO. Items dry overnight on the rail in the bathroom and there is also laundry service available. Surely on a world cruise there will be availablity at some times, even in the limited self service laundry facilities available on Arcadia.

The newer balcony cabins towards the back of the ship do not have a drawer under the sofa. I found washing did not dry overnight in the bathroom - it took several days and we had to put up with the "Chinese laundry" until it was dry. Very little room in the bathroom for an airer, maybe keep it in the bath and move it into the living area when you are out all day. The cabin steward might find this a bit awkward for cleaning though.

We took some plastic space saving hangers that drop down to hold about 4 or 5 short items on additional hangers in the space of one long garment. These really worked. I got mine from QVC but believe you can get them from Kleeneze or Betterware type catalogues.

How about keeping a suitcase under each side of the bed as a "finished with" recepticle? I know this has already been mentioned, but, ours are fat cases so we have to push them under the bed opened. Hey presto, two sections for storage, one for spare items, toiletries, occasional stuff etc, the other for "finished with" stuff.

On the Arcadia, we took note of other forum members who had mentioned the shelving in the wardrobes. We set it up as we wanted it, no screwdriver or alum key required. Chose one wardrobe for all the longer clothes and used the shelves beneath the shorter clothes in the other ones. Worked a treat. We also moved the life jackets from the wardrobe and stored them under the bed then used the life jacket shelf for more clothes. Fortunately, my husband is 6 foot 2 to my 5 foot one, so he got the higher shelves. No drawer space to speak of, just a narrow drawer in each bedside table and a corner cupboard in the mirror, TV, fridge unit. Not agreat deal of storage space and you are doing the right thing in planning this in advance. Maybe others will have more ideas.

Pat

I always take one of those plastic rings with a couple of dozen pegs attached. I can hang smalls on this in the bathroom to dry, and it is quick and easy to move it when you want to use the shower. If you have a bath with a long retractable line over it you could take two or three of these rings.

Carol x

Hi Merseyside lass,

We are on the world with Arcadia and some good tips on this thread. There is also a Arcadia Jan 2011 thread which is getting quite interesing now it is only 6 weeks away.:eek:

Join that thread as we will ry and do a CC get together on the trip.

REALLY looking fwd to it :D

John and Carol

Again, thanks to all of you who have answered my questions re space saving ideas. Lots of great advice.

For Flyer1948 - I have read the Arcadia 2011 thread and thanks for pointing me in that direction. I see you are booked for this cruise so hope you have a fantastic time.

Archived