Major Tom Cave Tubing

Abi Angela

He runs a nice operation with funny congenial guides. I'd recommend him. As a matter of overview, there were 4 ships in Belize last Wednesday (a lot) so the caves park was quite busy and we saw many operators. Truth be told, they all appear to run in a nearly identical way. Major Tom has been at it since the beginning. He was a bit 'jaded' about the growth in popularity and the proliferation of tubing operators. A snippet of his comments, "We've been here for years making suggestions to the authorities about how they'd best regulate the activity. They ignored us... Then a couple years ago there was an (avoidable) 'incident' and they reacted with a slew of rules... many are redicules. They are even talking about requiring helmuts. But if the water is so high that you actually need a helmut then you shouldn't be in there at all! So they are talking about a redicules full time rule that only would have benefit if you were unabidding another reasonable rule!"

Some operators have their customers in helmuts, but having gone - I'd feel pretty silly wearing one. It simply isn't a risky activity. We went and the water was 'high' but high water still means knee deep 80% of the time - yet you wear a life vest in addition to the tube.

As I said, the operators are pretty standardized. Major Tom is experienced congenial and price competitive.

Archived