Explosive Ocean Entry Lava video Big on the Island Oct 2010

diverearl

Here are a few videos of molten Lava pouring into the Pacific Ocean on the Big Island Hawaii October 13 & 14, 2010.

We walked out to the ocean entry sight just after dark with a guide on the 13th then went back out on the 14th for a different perspective of daylight, transition to dark then again in the total darkness. The first night there was lava slowly moving away from the entry area but there was a ledge close to the edge where you could see back under the shelf to film the molten lava pouring into the surf.

As a wave would break into the lava tube it would drag some of the red hot liquid rock back into the ocean with it. The lava still on fire would trail out 20 feet into the surf then cool and disappear from view. When a wave would break into the lava it would get so dark the video would loose focus taking a few seconds to recover once the lava became visible again.

If you are ever on the Big Island I highly recommend making an effort to view this beautiful act of nature. Many people told us you couldn't get closer than the Hwy 130 viewing sight which is about 3/4 of a mile from the ocean entry, but as you can see we got a little closer than that by about 3/4 of a mile.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is going to the Big Island and is interested in trying to see the lava flow up close you can get really good up to date information on what is happening by going to these web sights.

This blog is the best sight I know of to find out almost daily updates ( he is on vacation for another week as I write this) about Lava activity on the Big Island. http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/ Leigh Hilbert is a resident of Hawaii and maintains a booth at the public viewing area where the lava has covered Hwy 130. If you want to get closer than this you need to get with one of the locals who also have booths in the same area.

The sight to find out the updates on whats happening as far as the lava outbreaks and flows http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html (click on the pictures for larger images).

The National Park Service web sight for Volcano National Park is http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm where you can get a lot of information about things to do and see around the volcano itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are a few videos of molten Lava pouring into the Pacific Ocean on the Big Island Hawaii October 13 & 14, 2010.

We walked out to the ocean entry sight just after dark with a guide on the 13th then went back out on the 14th for a different perspective of daylight, transition to dark then again in the total darkness. The first night there was lava slowly moving away from the entry area but there was a ledge close to the edge where you could see back under the shelf to film the molten lava pouring into the surf.

As a wave would break into the lava tube it would drag some of the red hot liquid rock back into the ocean with it. The lava still on fire would trail out 20 feet into the surf then cool and disappear from view. When a wave would break into the lava it would get so dark the video would loose focus taking a few seconds to recover once the lava became visible again.

If you are ever on the Big Island I highly recommend making an effort to view this beautiful act of nature. Many people told us you couldn't get closer than the Hwy 130 viewing sight which is about 3/4 of a mile from the ocean entry, but as you can see we got a little closer than that by about 3/4 of a mile.

WOW! these videos are amazing - how lucky you were to be able to view this!!! We will be on the POA cruise so I hope to see anything at all from the sail-by -- but won't hold my breath to be as lucky as you! Thank you so much for sharing.

I have a question about your 'black lava' photos -- you gave me some great info on another thread -- so I will just ask my question here -- I saw you posted the HNVP sign and then photos of the molten lava - so this is the spot you go to walk on that? It looks like another planet. :) I am so excited!

Great photos - thank you for sharing with us all!

WOW! these videos are amazing - how lucky you were to be able to view this!!! We will be on the POA cruise so I hope to see anything at all from the sail-by -- but won't hold my breath to be as lucky as you! Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed the videos, I felt really lucky to have seen and filmed the event. As of January 6 2011 a new ocean entry has began so you might get quite a show, it just depends on "Pele" I guess.

I have a question about your 'black lava' photos -- you gave me some great info on another thread -- so I will just ask my question here -- I saw you posted the HNVP sign and then photos of the molten lava - so this is the spot you go to walk on that? It looks like another planet. :) I am so excited!

Great photos - thank you for sharing with us all!

Right now there is Red Hot Lava at the end of Hwy 130 where you can walk out to the FREE public viewing area. You just take Hwy 11 to Hwy 130 in Kea'au and drive to the end of the road about 20 miles. On the way you will start to see the smoke plume from the ocean entry lava if it is active when you are on the Island. You can't miss the public viewing area because lava has covered the road stopping any farther access. When you come to a sign that tells you the road is closed it will become a one lane road for about a quarter mile then you park at the free parking area and just walk out another 1/2 mile to the end on the old highway. Easy walking or even wheelchair accessible.

There is currently red hot molten lava just 10 feet from where you will be standing so bring a long stick and you might get to poke it into the Hot Lava. Be sure to click on this guys Blog . . . . . http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/ . . . . . for almost daily updates about the Lava's activity. It really helped me to know what I could expect on our trip and I still watch it almost daily to get my own little Lava fix :D.

There are several vendors at the parking area that sell pictures, water and Leigh (the guy with the blog) also has a booth selling his stuff. Interesting guy but his pictures and paintings were extremely expensive so we just talked a little while then moved on. The tour my wife and I walked out to the ocean entry spot with also has a booth set up at the public viewing area. By far the best $50.00 I've ever spent on a tour while on vacation (holiday ;)).

Good luck with your trip and be sure to let us know what you see and think of the islands and the Lava.

Archived