RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Speaking of Glade plug ins. (I posted that hint!)

We just got off a 12 nighter on the Explorer. We were showing our cabin for a cabin crawl (9328 Jr. Suite on the Hump). When everyone came into our room they all went "Ahhhhh, it smells so nice in here!" just like in the glade commercials! Once I told them they all said... "What a good idea!" It was funny. Even our cabin steward complimented. Nothing fancy, not fruity or perfumey, just smells clean & fresh! It's the "Fresh Waters" scent.

I'll be in this cabin in January, 2012. Can you tell me about the cabin and balcony, including the bathroom amenities and the balcony furniture? Robes? Thanks!

Sureeee P.

Well the room is on the starboard side of the ship. Your closest bank of elevators are the aft & starboard side (pink carpet.) During our sailing we were mostly facing the islands so it was nice to see everything, but we don't know who else will be in port during your sailing. Although the cabin is just off the elevator bank you do not hear anything from the stairwell or elevators. The concierge lounge is there also, so there is a bit of foot traffic there, but not any noise. Your muster station is convenient. B13 is a small stroll out on deck 4. You are also just 2 flights down from the windjammer (take the stairs!) and a short elevator or 4 flights down to my time dining.

If you are Platinum or above there should be robes waiting for you in the room. If they aren't, just ask your steward. Her name is Marica from the Philippines. She is so sweet.

The room is well sized. Probably like the size of a standard hotel King room. There are 2 beds, a large couch, two upholstered chairs, a coffee table, 2 nightstands, drawers, storage cabinets, vanity mirror w/ hair dryer in the drawer & 2 desks... YES, 2 desks. The vanity at the first desk has TWO outlets for charging electronics etc. My parents were in 9614 and the 2nd desk was omitted in their room because that's where their connecting door was. However 9328 is not a connecting rm. We took the liberty of moving the two chairs (they were opposite from the couch) & putting them against the sliding balcony doors & turned the coffee table lengthwise along the couch so we had a direct unobstructed route to the balcony.

Our TV was not working so they replaced the flat screen with a new one. There is a safe, coffee maker, mugs, stocked minibar, ice bucket, tongs & glasses.

The restroom is standard, but roomy. There is a full size bath tub with standard annoying cloth shower curtain. There is a clothesline in the bathtub, but its a bit worn. There is showerwash/shampoo in a dispenser in the tub. There are toiletry amenities in the bathroom, including a personal kit with an emery board, cottonballs & Qtips. The tub walls are perfect for a bath, however they are a little HIGH, so if your knees give you issues, be careful getting in & out. If needed you can request Marica to bring you a bath tub mat so you won't slip. There is plenty of storage space in the compartments around the bathroom mirror as well as an outlet for intl voltage on the top of the mirror. There are also lots of hooks & bars to hang wet swimsuits etc. The cool thing is that RCI's bath towels now have tiny loops on the end of them that make hanging them on the door hooks so much easier & they don't fall down!!! Small idea, but BIG DEAL! I LOVE THIS!

The balcony is a bit angled, not as big as on Freedom class ships, but large enough to fit 3 chairs & a small coffee table. My parents had a lounge chair, chair & table. Because it is on the hump the balcony is shaped like a a trapezoid. It is very adequate.

The gem of this cabin is the CLOSET! You have 3 racks to hang items. The two are higher & the 3rd is low but it folds up so you can store all your luggage there. On the adjacent wall are two bookcase size ceiling to floor shelving units. About 6 shelves on each side! You can put all your stuff in the closet & still use it as a full changing room if need be. We didn't have to use any drawers!!!! There is also a rack for hanging ties & belts.

Marica will have your ice bucket filled daily, plus there are Evian bottles there if you need to dig into them on your desk/vanity. It's a lovely cabin. I would def. book it again! Actually I will be on the port side on next Feb's cruise because this one was taken!

The cabin's soft lines are quite comfortable. The comforter is full & cozy. The mattress thick & plush. Everything was cleaned to the T. My only apparent observation is the carpet is worn. By 2012, its possible that it may be replaced by then. My parents balcony was painted mid cruise because of chipped paint patches. We later found out at the Captain's Q & A corner that the ship was not originally designed to go from such cold to hot extremes & the metal expansion & contraction makes it hard for paint to adhere without bubbling. Either way, they do make every effort to keep the ship looking its best & being safe. And that's a great thing!

You will enjoy the cabin very much. I will post photos tomorrow after I download them from my camera if you like.

Enjoy your day!

Edited by Cruise718

Sureeee P.

Well the room is on the starboard side of the ship. Your closest bank of elevators are the port & starboard side (pink carpet.) During our sailing we parked on mostly our side of the ship so it was nice to see everything, but we don't know who else will be in port during your sailing. The port side also has only 3 elevators so you are already ahead of the game. Although the cabin is just off the elevator bank you do not hear anything from the stairwell or elevators. The concierge lounge is there also, so there is a bit of foot traffic there, but not any noise.

OK if you are Platinum or above there should be robes waiting for you in the room. If there aren't then just ask your steward. Her name is Marica from the Phillipines.

The room is well sized. Probably like the size of a standard land based King room. There are 2 beds, a large couch, two upholstered chairs, a coffee table, 2 nightstands, drawers, storage cabinets & 2 desks... YES, 2 desks. My parents were in 9614 and the 2nd desk was omitted in their room because that's where their connecting door was. However 9328 is not a connecting rm. We also took the liberty of moving the two chairs & putting them against the sliding balcony doors & turned the coffee table lengthwise along the couch so we had a direct unobstructed route to the balcony.

Also, your muster station is convenient. B13 is a small stroll out on deck 4.

Our TV was not working so they replaced the flat screen with a new one. There is a safe, coffee maker, mugs, stocked minibar, ice butcket, tongs & glasses. The vanity at the first desk has TWO outlets for charging electronics etc.

The restroom is standard, but roomy. There is a full size bath tub with the typical annoying cloth shower curtain. There is a clothesline in the bathtub, but its a bit worn. There is showerwash/shampoo in a dispenser in the tub. There are toiletry amenities in the bathroom, including a personal kit with an emery board, cottonballs & Qtips. It is a little HIGH, so if your knees give you issues, just be careful getting in & out. If needed you can request Marica to bring you a bath tub mat so you wont slip. There is plenty of storage space in the mirrored compartments around the bathroom mirror as well as an outlet for intl voltage on the top of the mirror. There are also lots of hooks & bars to hang wet swimsuits etc. The cool thing is that RCI's bath towels now have tiny loops on the end of them that make hanging them on the door hooks so much easier & they don't fall down!!! Small idea, but BIG DEAL! I LOVE THIS!

The balcony is a bit angled, not huge as on Freedom ships, but rather large enough to fit 3 chairs & a small coffee table. My parents had a lounge chair, chair & table. Because it is on the hump the balcony is shaped like a a trapezoid. It is very adequate.

The gem of this cabin is the CLOSET! You have 3 racks to hang items. The two are higher & the 3rd is low but it folds up so you can actually store your luggage there. On the adjacent wall are two bookcase sized shelving units. About 6 shelves on each side! You can put all your stuff in the closet & still use it as a full changing room if need be. We didnt have to use any drawers!!!! There is also a rack for hanging ties & belts.

Marica will have your ice bucket filled daily, plus there are Evian bottles there if you need to dig into them on your desk/vanity. It's a lovely cabin. I would def. book it again! Actually I will be on the port side on next Feb's cruise because this one was taken!

The basic upkeep was great. The comforter is so comfy, the mattress think & plush. Everything was cleaned to the T. My only apparent observation is the carpet in the cabin is worn. By 2012, its possible that it may be replaced by then. My parents balcony was painted mid cruise because of chipped paint patches. We later found out at the Captains Q & A corner that the ship was not originally designed to go from such cold to hot extremes & the metal expansion & contraction makes it hard for paint to adhere without bubbling. Either way, they do make great efforts with the upkeep! And that's a great thing!

You will enjoy the cabin very much. I will post photos tomorrow after I download them from my camera if you like.

Enjoy your day!

Thank you thank you thank you for taking so much of your time to type me this response! You're a mensch! This will be my third cruise but my first on RCCL and as far as I'm concerned, you just gave me THE most important info to print out as I plan. The other two cruises were on NCL out of Manhattan, so even leaving from Jersey will be different. I'm looking forward to experiencing the EOS.

So, on a crowded ship, the elevators get a little crazy....

Tip 1:

When you want to travel several floors without picking up extra folk along the way, hold your floor selection button and the "door close" button at the same time until the doors close. Then you'll travel in "priority" mode.

Interesting tip, bet I would get some stares from others who also get on at the same time as me. I can't recall getting onto to an empty elevator to try this. But good to know just in case of an emergency.

Thank you thank you thank you for taking so much of your time to type me this response! You're a mensch! This will be my third cruise but my first on RCCL and as far as I'm concerned, you just gave me THE most important info to print out as I plan. The other two cruises were on NCL out of Manhattan, so even leaving from Jersey will be different. I'm looking forward to experiencing the EOS.

We've had 9628 three times on Voyager class ships. It's a twin to 9328, but on the Port side. Just another choice when 9328 is not available.

Rick and Deirdra

P -- Some clarification. RCI does not place robes in every cabin. If you are traveling with them for the first time they will not provide them in your room.

There are many apparent differences you will see betw. RCI & NCL. You sound very passionate about it, as I am too! If you like, I have a slew of info & will send it to you. My email address is cruise718@yahoo.com let me know what email address to send it to.

-Ria

P -- Some clarification. RCI does not place robes in every cabin. If you are traveling with them for the first time they will not provide them in your room.

There are many apparent differences you will see betw. RCI & NCL. You sound very passionate about it, as I am too! If you like, I have a slew of info & will send it to you. My email address is cruise718@yahoo.com let me know what email address to send it to.

-Ria

Hi, Ria~~

I will email you; how nice of you to offer. I found some info on JS that said tea and coffee ensuite and robes for use on board, but I can always tip my steward to find me a robe to use if none are in the cabin. Anything I can do to not pack what I don't have to, I do, because I am an overpacker if there ever was one!

I scanned through the pages and don't think I saw these tips so here goes. We always take at least one (two if the kids are with) pop up hamper. They fold flat for packing and weigh almost nothing. When it fills up with dirty clothes I pack them away in one of the suitcases. It helps keep the room organized and makes less work the last day of the cruise when you have to have your bags out.

My other tip is to make sure you have a swimsuit either on or in your carry-on so you can enjoy the pools and hot tubs on embark day. It is the only time the pools and hot tubs are almost empty. Just make sure to have flip-flops or sandals, I forgot mine once and had my running shoes on, I almost burned my feet on the hot pool deck getting into the pool.

We also take the plug-in air freshener, we also take a small can of febreeze we spray the curtains, couches etc. and sometimes have to spray the hallway to clear the air from others.

Does anyone know if they give out drink cups when you purchase a soda plan on Oasis? Two years ago on Freedom, they gave us cooler cups with lids when we purchased the drink plans. I don't want to bring one along if they give them to you.

Does anyone know if they give out drink cups when you purchase a soda plan on Oasis? Two years ago on Freedom, they gave us cooler cups with lids when we purchased the drink plans. I don't want to bring one along if they give them to you.

Yes they do. We were on the Navigator in Dec and they did then at least. We now have 6 of them. But are huge pop drinkers so it pays for itself.

This is Christina & Eddie:

Is anyone out there cruising November 26, 2011 on Brilliance of the Seas?

You should click on the board for that ROLL CALL. You will find a slew of people on that sailing! They will have lots of ideas & info. In most cases Rolla calls also have activities planned, and gather people for group tours & such!

BTW, you do not need to carry the "official" cup around with you. Just show your card and they will give you one in a regular glass.

Didn't see these in the compilation lists so will add a few more. May be Radiance class specific and some are definitely specific to handicap situations and accessible staterooms.

• When leaving MDR to go to theater the route is often through the shops area which can become very jammed. Instead exit to the outside and walk all the way to the entrance by the theater. Much faster - and often nicer.
  • In the theater on the main floor level there is a row of seats that are movable chairs that can acocmodate parking a wheelchair. Above these seats on the wall are little blue wheelchair symbols. Sitting there without a wheelchair is OK but you might be asked so move if someone does needs the spot.
  • From deck 4 there is a hallway behind a "Crew Only" door (at end of cabin doors going forward) that goes to the main floor of the theater right in front of the stage. If able to transfer from a wheelchair the first several rows are ramped (not steps) and the wheelchair can be parked beneath the big stairway that goes to the balcony levels. Go at least a half hour before show time.
  • Tipping bar service people beyond the included amount (dollar a drink) seems to definitely get more attentive service and "rocks" drinks seemed to get larger as the servers got to know us.
  • The electric outlet inside the mirror cabinet in the bathroom is a multi-function type that is not real intuitive but will accomodate US style flat blade plugs. Note...this outlet only functions when bathroom light is on so not useful for charging things.
  • The hairdrier is in the one of the top drawers on the vanity and works only at the vanity outlets - not in the bathroom.
  • In accessible rooms there is an emergency "help" button next to the light on the wall. Be careful - in the dark it can be hit when trying to turn the light on. To turn off go into bathroom and reset there.
  • Accessible rooms have automatic door openers. Don't try to insert card and then use door handle - it will take you hand right off. :eek: Also on the end of the opener (way up high) there is a three setting switch to hold the door open.
  • Accessible bathroom toilets are same height as all other bathrooms - too high. Men - if you're not at least 6 foot something forget about using the urinals in the public restrooms.
  • If you want to see yourself on the Cruise in Review video that it available to purchase then be involved in anything the Cruise Director is involved in. The camera follows only elective activities and not "private" time.
  • Sushi is available in Windjammer only in evening but if doing MDR late it's good for an appetizer. Similarly Champaign Bar has appetizers for awhile before the MDR opens.
  • Take disposable plastic sandwich containers and on night before port days get sandwiches at SeaView Cafe (or room service) and store in room refrig. Next day put in collapable cooler and take to beach (or wherever).
  • Some ports beer is more expensive than on the ship (believe it or not!) and they never check bags going OFF the ship so take your own to beach.
  • Port specific tip.... St. Kitts: Don't let the guys with monkeys get anywhere near you. Big scam. Just head the other way.

The Cruise Line charges $68 for the 2 stop snorkle trip in Casa Maya. We took the taxi ($3) to the fishing village (can't spell it), walked to the beach (1 block) and found a boat that was going on a 2 stop snorkel trip and paid $60 for us both. The reef fartherest south from the ship is the best reef and it was awesome. Not too many fish but a few of each type we have seen in the past but the reef was gorgeous. Any boat leaving directly from Costa Maya will not go to this reef because it takes longer.

Edited by getupgo

-Ria

Ria, I emailed you.

No rush. Whenever you have time, I'll be happy to receive any of your "slew of info". If for some reason you didn't get my email, let me know and I'll resend. Thanks again for your time.

The P

SCREEN NAME UPDATE

It's still me, Ria but no longer Cruise718. I put in a request to change my screenname & its been approved. Hi, I'm Pack My Bags, pleased to meet you!

The P - Yes I did get it but have many docs & pix saved on work computer... Will send it tomorrow.

SCREEN NAME UPDATE

It's still me, Ria but no longer Cruise718. I put in a request to change my screenname & its been approved. Hi, I'm Pack My Bags, pleased to meet you!

The P - Yes I did get it but have many docs & pix saved on work computer... Will send it tomorrow.

Well, Pack My Bags, you have a very apropos name for this site, because we all wish we were doing that in anticipation of a cruise leaving sooner than later!

Have spent the last 4 hours browsing boards & reviews. It never ceases to baffle me how people cannot be happy unless they are complaining & miserable!!?! The sense of entitlement is nauseating & courtesy has gone out the window.

It's a cruise! You lifted your luggage once, you're getting fed every 2 hours, they clean up after you, serve you & sort your garbage. You get entertainment & participate in as much or as little activities as you like & they take you to nice places!! I don't know about you but it sure beats work, meetings, cooking, cleaning practice and shoveling!!!

This lady had the best TIP I have ever read.. EVER!!!!

"For people on these boards who complain constantly about food, service, or the attention you didn't get, I highly suggest you shell out $25,000 for a cruise on Crystal Cruises where I'm sure you'll get all your nose hairs trimmed evenly and your belly rubbed nightly to ease digestion."

AMEN! I work in retail and sometimes I just wanna say "Is that the best you can come up with to complain about?"