Grand Cayman which is better, Eden Rock and Sunset House?

abatlin

We are looking to do some shore diving and snorkling in Grand Cayman. Which is better for rental, Eden Rock or Sunset House? Which has better shore diving? How far are each from where we tender in from the cruise ships?

better? define better:

Eden is closer, Sunset is almost exactly 1 mile down the road.

Eden can be crowded altho last time I was in CG it was not. Sunset is rarely crowded .... in fact cruise folks are seldom seen at Sunset.

Being so close together you'll probably experience almost identical conditions at the two locations and similar dive profiles: good shore dives at depths around the 40 to 50 foot level. ER has the Grotto; Sunset has the statue and the wreck and if you want to go deeper you could swim all the way to the wall.....

For beginners Sunset has the sea pool and for post dive My Bar.

I prefer Sunset but primary reason I've taken dedicated dive vacations there since the mid 80's and they are very very nice folks.

We did a shore dive at Sunset House last week. There were about 4 other divers off the cruiseships there when we were. I've never rented from either but have been scuba diving at both locations and prefer Sunset House. The depth out at the small wreck is 65 ft--the Mermaid statue about 50ft. There's another place just short of Eden Rock--never used them. A small advantage of Eden is that they have steps cut in the ironshore to access the water--easy. As the good Captain mentioned, Eden has the grotto--easy and shallow snorkeling--for scuba, I would do Sunset House!!

A small advantage of Eden is that they have steps cut in the ironshore to access the water--easy.

Not intended as argumentative ..

but Sunset has the Sea Pool (see their website) which IMHO offers an even easier entry for those uncomfortable at first: a very protected enclosure to get settled, check your bou'y etc, then venture out the opening to the sea . . .

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

• 1 month later...

We just returned from the Crown Princess and I had booked a discover scuba trip with Sunset House. They were very friendly and prompt in responding to emails and when we arrived our instructor, Roger was phenominal! I can't say enough good things about this place or Roger. There were only 4 of us in the class and after class, we started out in the diving pool. I was pleasantly surprised at how many fish there were in the pool. Once the instructor was assured we were comfortable, did he take us out to dive further. One of the ladies with us was having trouble so he stayed with her the entire time and let the rest of us dive and explore, though we were never out of his sight. My wife and I are hooked now and want to get our certifications now! Also had lunch at My Bar which was very good.

Archived