Extra Tips - How Much Do You Leave?

megmno

If you usually leave additional tip money for your cabin steward or waiters, how much do you leave? (This would be in addition to the auto tips.)

On our last cruise we've gave the steward an additional $20 per cabin (two cabins for a family of four) and the waiters $40 for the family. We had excellent service from them all.

Just curious what other people leave.

(PS -- I'm not interested in restarting the perennial auto-tips debate!!)

If you usually leave additional tip money for your cabin steward or waiters, how much do you leave? (This would be in addition to the auto tips.)

On our last cruise we've gave the steward an additional $20 per cabin (two cabins for a family of four) and the waiters $40 for the family. We had excellent service from them all.

Sounds about right ;). I do tip the bar staff a twenty as well.

Just to excel the service and better drinks :D

On our last cruise our room steward had taken such good care of us that I slipped her a $20 on the last night. The next day after we had disembarked DW informed me that she had left a $20 in her make up drawer (because of the great service). Neither of us had known what the other had done. We just laughed. She certainly earned the $40 extra.

Have never left anything extra. All they expect is the autotip, which is pretty much the recommendations when you were left to do it yourself.

I never touch my auto-tip...

but I like the personal knowledge that the server can know that I PERSONALLY appreciate their job...

I leave $10 to the waiter, asst, steward and asst steward. We normally leave our $10 in the hands of the last towell animals we received. I would like to believe they smile when the see that monkey holding a $10, and a little note of thanks.

I leave $10 to the waiter, asst, steward and asst steward. We normally leave our $10 in the hands of the last towell animals we received. I would like to believe they smile when the see that monkey holding a $10, and a little note of thanks.

What a GREAT idea JaBee! I always leave a $10 in our cabin with a note. I will borrow your idea in February on the Victory! Thanks!

We leave an extra $20.00 for our Room Steward, Waiter, and asst. Waiter.

We don't eat in the MDR every night, but they still deserve every penny!!:rolleyes:

My DH and I keep our Cabin clean, but they still make the beds, replenish the Ice bucket, toilet paper, make towel animals, clean the bathroom, and give us new towels. They also remember you by name, with a smile!!:D

CAN'T BEAT THAT!!

They deserve extra!

Last Cruise, I slipped him a $20 when I asked for him to fill up our little cooler with ice, and it was fulled to capacity every time he came to service the room. The service was impeccable, even with bringing our laundry out, and servicing the room, even on the days when we where lazy and slept in till lunch. Really exceptional service. We left him another $20 when we left with a little thank you note.

Our favorite bar tender (from our first cruise) happened to be on our last ship, and he remembered us. Him and his assistant got tipped exceptionally well.

(side note: an extra buck tip for each drink will get you REALLY good service after the first day or two :-P)

We usually don't eat in the MDR much, so we didn't tip the wait staff (we where only there one night the whole time).. but of course we didn't touch our auto tip.

We usually don't eat in the MDR much, so we didn't tip the wait staff (we where only there one night the whole time).. but of course we didn't touch our auto tip.

We only ate in the dining room one night. Didn't touch the auto tip, but didn't tip extra either. The room steward ended up with $40 extra. $20 from me and $20 from DH. (4 night cruise)

Should the service warrant (and it generally does...) I tip my cabin steward $20 and $10 for the assistant. The same hold true for my MDR waiter and assistant.

I can only recall not tipping additional once and that was my cabin steward. I never saw him or her. Typically, they'll have a checklist with them and ask for a signature to verify that the cabin is up to standards for the passenger... not that time.

:)

I usually tip the cabin steward an extra 20 (when we first meet him or her). While tipping I will ask for him or her to pay particular attention to my ice bucket. I also give waiters (if the service warrants) a little extra for thier hard word on occasion.

On my last cruise- I asked the waiter to sing Happy birthday to a good friend. I then promptly forgot to tip for the service. Needless to say, when my wife asked me if I had tipped them, I felt like a heel. they work hard for their money (as most of us do) and deserve a little extra here and there. Now I will have to book another cruise on that ship and make sure the wait staff gets a little extra. LOL.

Sounds like Mach has it about right - an extra 20 for the waiter and the steward, 10 each for the two assistants if they've done a particularly good job. On my most recent trip they all knew my name, used it when they spoke to me, gave me better-than-expected service, and were really pleasant people to be around. And I tipped the steward and assistant an extra 10 for the extraordinary job they did cleaning an almighty load of sand out of my cabin following an unsettled day at the beach in St. John - worth every penny.

No, MrPete & others similarly situated, they don't expect more than the auto-tip. But $10/day - the Carnival auto-tip - is a pitifully small amount for the work they do. In a lot of stateside restaurants, the cost of the meal my companion and I eat in the MDR for dinner would justify close to a $10 tip by itself.....and that's before your cabin gets cleaned (twice a day) and before the service staff handles other meals.

I'm grateful when I get service that's better than it has to be, and I show my gratitude with a little extra cash for that person.

I've cruised 3 times already and each time $20 per room was tipped to the room steward at the beginning of the week as we have found if you do that you get extra better service than normal. At the end of the week depending on how many were there (have cruised with 5, 13, and then 3 people) so for the 3 of us I tipped $20 at the end of the week to our waiter.

I've cruised 3 times already and each time $20 per room was tipped to the room steward at the beginning of the week as we have found if you do that you get extra better service than normal. At the end of the week depending on how many were there (have cruised with 5, 13, and then 3 people) so for the 3 of us I tipped $20 at the end of the week to our waiter.

Ya' know... I've done it both ways and have yet to see a lick of difference whether I tip at the beginning of the voyage or at the end.

The vast majority of the staff members who interact with the passengers are fantastic and would do their jobs regardless... witness how they performed on the Splendor.

:)

$20 each for room steward, waiter and asst. waiter

Same here, plus 20$ to an another assistant waiter from who I got the wine package on the first day and even if she wasn't part ou our wait staff, she came to our table every single night to inquire about how was our day, the cruise, etc. She was awesome! So instead of tipping to Maitre D', I tipped her.

Archived