Miami and kids

KathyF.

We have a few days before and after our cruise to entertain our 4 and 7 year old boys in Miami.

Looking at the Marriott Dorval for the Nickelodeon package if it's offered in January but not sure if I want to spend the money. Anyone try it?

Also looking at the Mai-Kai Polynesian show?

Wannado in Fort Lauderdale looks cools as does the children's museum. Not sure about Wonderworks?

What were your kids fav things to do in Miami?

My kids loved just shopping/walking on Lincoln Rd., walking/ankle-wading along the beach in South Beach, stopping along the way for ice cream or at the Ghirardelli store for a treat or at Pizza Rustica for some awesome (and cheap) eats. They also loved listening to the music at Bayside and having smoothies from the Daquiri stand.

Second on the zoo-- it will take up most of a day, you can walk or rent family bikes, lots of fun. My son, now 7, has been going to Parrot Jungle (it's more than birds!) for years and it never gets old for him-- you can make it a 3-hour thing or you can stretch it out longer if you feel like it, and it's right across from the port so you can get everyone excited/nostalgic for the cruise! But don't eat lunch there, it's really not good, and there are so many nice places to eat in South Beach. Monkey Jungle, in South Miami near the zoo, is also a lot of fun. Miami Beach has lots of great playgrounds, including a fantastic giant park a few blocks south of Lincoln Road (I think it's called Flamingo Park, but can't remember for sure) which also has a little-kid water park you can pay to use. Miami Children's Museum, right across from Parrot Jungle, was not a big hit with my son when he was little, but I would definitely take a look at it online to see if it looks appealing a few years later. In Ft. L. you have Wannadoo City, where the kids run a working city, which is always a big hit with everyone. Key Biscayne is great for walking or biking (you can rent them) and also has nice beaches. Lincoln Road is great for walking, dining and shopping, and has a few little kid things along the way... don't go too late because nighttime can bring out some sights that can be interesting to explain to kids, but during the day it's great! And of course, the beaches... I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Archived