Alaska cruise end of May information

Hi all, we have just done our first cruise and were very thrilled with the experience. Now we are looking at an Alaskan cruise. Here are some questions that I am hoping you can help me with.

We had a balcony room on our last cruise, we used the balcony quite a bit to get away from the crowd of people. (we live in the country and enjoy our space). If we to take a cruise in May would we use the balcony as much as we did when in the Carbibean.

What kind of weather can we expect in May?

Were there deer flies, black flies you get the idea?

I am wondering if it would be better to take an ocean view for this cruise instead of a balcony.... weather, bugs.

Still trying to figure out if May would be good month to go and if I can really afford to cruise in May or if i should stall this trip off for another year.

If I book now for May i can just squeeze in for early saver. If using early saver did anyone realy get to actually use early saver and get any reduction?

thanks all

You might try the Alaska board for more information. We are sailing 5/4/11 which is the first sailing from Vancouver for the 2011 season. We did book a balcony, but I've read both ways. Not much talk of bugs bothering you on the balcony, but it won't be warm so you'll want to pack accordingly. May has less rain than September according to my Alaska information. Hope you find what will suit you.

I have gotten one price reduction so far on Early Saver, but on my last cruise during the summer I had over $500 OBC between two rooms. Not sure this will happen with Alaska, but I check on a regular basis.

We have sailed Alaska twice. This past August on the Carnival Spirit and 3 years ago in May on Princess. Both times we had a balcony and loved it. In May it wasn't warm/hot like the Caribbean, but certainly worth it to us. Neither time were we ever bothered by any bugs or flies.

Whenever you cruise to Alaska, I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Clair

I cruised on May 13th and Loved the fact the that there were no crowds. temps between 60s and low 70s. while a fleece or sweatshirt were adequate for comfort on open decks, the crowds were less congested and the ports very comfortable, not at all difficult. Should I chose Alaska again (and am considering it) Mid to late May would be my choice of time. Yes, I had a balconey, and never once was I uncomfortable (I l ive in So Texas, and it was a very comfortable & enjoyable cruise. One tip - GET A BALCONY!!!!

Hi all, we have just done our first cruise and were very thrilled with the experience. Now we are looking at an Alaskan cruise. Here are some questions that I am hoping you can help me with.

We had a balcony room on our last cruise, we used the balcony quite a bit to get away from the crowd of people. (we live in the country and enjoy our space). If we to take a cruise in May would we use the balcony as much as we did when in the Carbibean.

What kind of weather can we expect in May? cool, 50's and 60's. You never know about rain. Pack layers, including a water repellent jacket. It might start out cool and warm up considerably during the day.

Were there deer flies, black flies you get the idea?Had no problem with bugs, even when we went to the interior (although we carried bug repellent).

I am wondering if it would be better to take an ocean view for this cruise instead of a balcony.... weather, bugs.

Still trying to figure out if May would be good month to go and if I can really afford to cruise in May or if i should stall this trip off for another year.

If I book now for May i can just squeeze in for early saver. If using early saver did anyone realy get to actually use early saver and get any reduction?

thanks all

We have sailed in late June twice. Both times, we chose an exterior cabin although we always choose a balcony in the Caribbean. See comments in red above.

Archived