Re-boarding ship.

It can vary but 30 mins before departure time is common. If not on a ships excursion it is wise to allow plenty of time as the ship will NOT wait if you are late. In the Canaries last year a whole shipload of us showed no sympathy to the couple who were running down the dock in a vain attempt to catch the departing ship. If you are on a ships excursion they will wait because it is their responsibility to get you back aboard.

There will be a board at the gangway showing the times for crew to be back on board by, passengers to be back on board by, and sailing time. Make a note of them as you go off. There are usually some shops or bars in walking distance of the cruise terminal, so if we are going off independently we aim to be back in good time (a couple of hours before) and have a potter round these.

Carol x

Thanks for your help. We will be visiting Venice, and are planning to catch Vaparetto back from St. Marco, along the Grand Canal. I will make sure that we leave early enough to allow plenty of time. Don,t want to be late :o getting back.

Hi Solostar,

You don't say when you will be traveling to Venice. If it's the height of the tourist season you may need to allow a bit more time to get back to the ship. Don't forget, it's not just the vaparetto travel that you must take into consideration. Depending on where you dock, you must allow time to walk out of port and to the people carrier. If you have not done so as yet, search other threads concerning venice for more details.

Our last cruise in September called at Venice. I can remember thinking that traveling back towards the city port via the Grand Canal on no. 1 service took longer than we anticipated. There are vaparetto services that provide a more 'express' service, with limited stops. This may be more suitable should you find yourself running short on time.

You may wish to have a look at the following link, if required, you could always try to email the contact.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3916708-Vaparetto_Venice-Venice_Veneto.html

Venice is easily done on your own. You will enjoy the day.

Thanks for that link, is the "people Mover" far from the dock? I thought it was quite close, I know they make quite freqent journeys. Perhaps I would be better getting Vaparetto first, then making my way back to P. Roma. I will check out the express service.Ship leaves at 5 so the day will soon go! I can see that you have just been on the same cruise, any info would be very welcome. We will be there next September.

Thanks for that link, is the "people Mover" far from the dock? I thought it was quite close, I know they make quite freqent journeys. Perhaps I would be better getting Vaparetto first, then making my way back to P. Roma. I will check out the express service.Ship leaves at 5 so the day will soon go! I can see that you have just been on the same cruise, any info would be very welcome. We will be there next September.

We had the most wonderful 2 week break. Week 1 was the Adriatic Explorer & Week 2 Pearl of the Aegean.

The people mover sits just outside to port entrance. I'm a bit of a pokey walker (bad feet) and it took us roughly 20 min. to walk there. Stepping off the ship we got a bit confused as to which direction to head. As long as you head towards the port's exit you will be fine. There may not be a sign but if in doubt- ask. You will see the structure for the people mover as you exit the port, aim slightly towards the right. It's worth mentioning that the ship may be docked slightly closer to the port exit when you go.

We have travelled to Venice before so our return was a chance to soak up the atmosphere,not revisit popular attractions. We were amongst the first to disembark the Spirit. Having walked to the people carrier, buy a 12 hr vaparetto ticket at P. Roma,and catch the no. 1 vaparetto, we found the ourselves standing in St. Mark's Square just after 9am. Not bad timing.

The no. 1 up the Grand Canal will give you a memorable introduction to the magic of Venice and would suggest that doing this on you arrival will be more enjoyable as you are not yet concerned with getting back to the ship on time. Unfortuinately, one day in Venice isn't enough so it's good to have a plan. Buying a vaparetto pass will give you the freedom to island hop as you please. Do make time to wander the back streets, this is where you get the true flavour of Venice. It's so easy, no maps required. Venice is made for exploring on foot. You could consider taking the Vaparetto to St. Marks square and then just walk your way back towards the ship.

Will you be traveling to Dubrovnik? In our planning we were determined that we would go to the city walls of Dubrovnik. It wasn't until we went to the ship's excursion presentation that we were presented with a new idea. At the last minute we decided to go on what was called the Elaphite Islands with Music tour. I can not recommend this excursion high enough. Numbers are limited. A converted fishing boat will give you the most wonderful tour of Dubrovnik's city walls from the sea, you will then sail to several small islands . On board you are given a wonderful lunch of fresh fish and salad while listening to a live music. It was such a wonderful relaxing day, much better than battling the crowds within the old town.

The only other thought that I will leave you with is this - if you are calling at Koto, Montenegro, You must get up early enough to watch the ship sail into port. Fantastic. You are going to have a wonderful time I am sure.

Thankyou so much for all those ideas. We will be going to Dubrovnic and Kotor,but we are doing "Pearls" cruise first. I think I will do what you suggest in Venice, and get to St. Marc early in the day and then make our way back to P.Roma. We don,t dock in Kotor until13.00 so we won,t have to get up too early. did you do a review of your cruise?

Archived