10-Day Eastern Carib on Gem from NYC - February = Bad Idea?

canuckcruiser00

Sorry if this sounds like a "dumb" question - but I was looking at the 10 day Eastern Caribbean from NYC (on the Gem or Jewel...same price/iternary).

Is cruising from NYC in January/February a bad idea weather wise? I don't know much about cruising (only been on one from Miami), but do you guys think it would be a bit non-enjoyable given that the weather won't be the best in NYC/along much of the eastern coast during February?

Sorry if this sounds like a "dumb" question - but I was looking at the 10 day Eastern Caribbean from NYC (on the Gem or Jewel...same price/iternary).

Is cruising from NYC in January/February a bad idea weather wise? I don't know much about cruising (only been on one from Miami), but do you guys think it would be a bit non-enjoyable given that the weather won't be the best in NYC/along much of the eastern coast during February?

Its not a dumb question. I love escaping the winter with a Caribbean Cruise. I cruised from NYC in January this year and the weather was excellent and I had such a good time that I'm doing it again next year. Actually a couple of us who were on 2010 cruise are on the Jan.2011. It was a bit rocky going out but it got better and by the second day the weather was very nice. If you go into the Roll Call for the Jewel 1/23/11 you can have some of your questions answered about this itinerary.:) They will all be glad to help you with your decision.

for the $ it worth a little rocking and rolling< have meds for seasickness the first night and chilly the second day too but a good chance to learn the ship and activities< by 4pm the 2nd day you'll be able to go outside. Done it three times and think its worth it.Barb:D

We went on the Jewel on 11/7 and we won't cruise again out of NYC after mid October. It was pretty chilly until the next night around 7:30 so everyone stayed inside. Also, the days are too short...sun down by 5PM. On the way back we had VERY rough seas...we ended up spending more than half the day in bed because it was so rocky. It was sooooo windy and rocky that all the chairs were tied down and the pools were drained. Now this may not be normal for November but it sure convinced me that I'll stick to my late Sept-early Oct sailings!

We went on the Jewel on 11/7 and we won't cruise again out of NYC after mid October. It was pretty chilly until the next night around 7:30 so everyone stayed inside. Also, the days are too short...sun down by 5PM. On the way back we had VERY rough seas...we ended up spending more than half the day in bed because it was so rocky. It was sooooo windy and rocky that all the chairs were tied down and the pools were drained. Now this may not be normal for November but it sure convinced me that I'll stick to my late Sept-early Oct sailings!

Yeah...so, O/P as you see..January-February is better for going to the Caribbean!!:) Not mid October to the Bahamas and Florida :D

Its not a dumb question. I love escaping the winter with a Caribbean Cruise. I cruised from NYC in January this year and the weather was excellent and I had such a good time that I'm doing it again next year. Actually a couple of us who were on 2010 cruise are on the Jan.2011. It was a bit rocky going out but it got better and by the second day the weather was very nice. If you go into the Roll Call for the Jewel 1/23/11 you can have some of your questions answered about this itinerary.:) They will all be glad to help you with your decision.

22258_1296734911062_1611054680_747912_7660721_n.jpg.d10e2b86ffa0aefa4671e19b8664c2c3.jpg ( January 24, 2010) 10 day Eastern Caribbean R/T NYC. Next day after leaving NYC..we were 'not' freezing and uncomfortable eating breakfast outside..It was breezy, but nice.. We were dressed for the weather. I had on a two piece sweatsuit capri outfit with short sleeve shirt underneath.(Barbara)

[ATTACH]176404[/ATTACH] ( January 24, 2010) 10 day Eastern Caribbean R/T NYC. Next day after leaving NYC..we were 'not' freezing and uncomfortable eating breakfast outside..It was breezy, but nice.. We were dressed for the weather. I had on a two piece sweatsuit capri outfit with short sleeve shirt underneath.(Barbara)

2nd day:

357773735_familycruise.jpg.25d4ce42ce212d4dcb0a67d276985453.jpg

Have sailed from NYC in December and February and are doing January 2011. Yes, it is cooler than going from Florida (usually) but if you are used to cold weather the NYC weather can seem almost balmy. Sometimes it is rough, sometimes not. We found that by the second day it is significantly warmer. We do it cause we can drive to the port (5 hrs) and not have to deal with flying. It sounds like you are from Canada, and if so, it will certainly be warmer than home.:)

[ATTACH]176404[/ATTACH] ( January 24, 2010) 10 day Eastern Caribbean R/T NYC. Next day after leaving NYC..we were 'not' freezing and uncomfortable eating breakfast outside..It was breezy, but nice.. We were dressed for the weather. I had on a two piece sweatsuit capri outfit with short sleeve shirt underneath.(Barbara)

Hey thank you VERY much for your guys' input - at least I won't hesitate (too much) to consider these cruises (trying to narrow them down between a few).

P.S. Karaokelady - you all look so happy in your pics!! :D

Archived