Loved Epic, would we be disappointed with Pearl?

Endaar

Hi All,

My wife and I are recently back from our Epic cruise, which was great. This was our third cruise, with the first two being on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas, which I believe at this point is their third-largest class of ship. We found we did not like sailing twice on the same ship, so another Epic cruise is out at this point.

We're looking to plan our next trip (probably late 2011) and I'm considering a couple of options, among them being the Pearl and RCCL's Allure of the Seas. Itinerary is irrelevent, so we're just talking about the ships. I'm sure Allure is amazing, so I really have no concerns there. But I can't ignore the fact that for a few hundred dollars more than we'd pay for a balcony on Allure we could have a Penthouse (SF) on the Pearl. Or we could get a mini-suite for $600 less than the standard balcony on Allure.

My concern basically is that our only NCL experience was on the Epic, and obviously with that being their flagship, any other ship is a step back in a sense. I'm not suggesting the other ships are sub-par, but rather they wouldn't have some of the things we really enjoyed on Epic, such as the Irish pub, the water slides, etc. Of course, we also chatted with a few people on the Epic that hated the ship and said the Pearl was the best they've been on.

Anyway, I'd just love some opinions. Do we go for the next ship in the progression of cruise lines trying to top each other, or should we look more seriously at the Pearl?

Thanks!

I second the thought of going with the Pearl. I just spent 2 nights on the Allure and while she is a beautiful ship, I also found that I felt like I was in a hotel or shopping mall more than on a ship. I have been on the Epic, took a tour in September, and am actually taking a 1 week cruise on her tomorrow and very much looking forward to it.

We really enjoyed the Pearl, but I just don't think you can compare the Allure to it. Just not the same ship, just as you can't compare the epic to it. I would think if you love the "large" ships you may want to go with the Allure. If you go in open minded to a much small ship then try the Pearl. In my mind you can't go wrong on a cruise! I always love that someone else is cooking and making my bed! Big decision!!!!!

I loved the Pearl - it is a great ship, I don;t think she would be a disappointment after the Epic...of course I haven;t been on the Epic yet, but even if I had, I would sail the Pearl again in a heartbeat..

Some of my friends just got off the Pearl last Saturday and they had a wonderful time...

Hi All,

My wife and I are recently back from our Epic cruise, which was great. This was our third cruise, with the first two being on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas, which I believe at this point is their third-largest class of ship. We found we did not like sailing twice on the same ship, so another Epic cruise is out at this point.

We're looking to plan our next trip (probably late 2011) and I'm considering a couple of options, among them being the Pearl and RCCL's Allure of the Seas. Itinerary is irrelevent, so we're just talking about the ships. I'm sure Allure is amazing, so I really have no concerns there. But I can't ignore the fact that for a few hundred dollars more than we'd pay for a balcony on Allure we could have a Penthouse (SF) on the Pearl. Or we could get a mini-suite for $600 less than the standard balcony on Allure.

My concern basically is that our only NCL experience was on the Epic, and obviously with that being their flagship, any other ship is a step back in a sense. I'm not suggesting the other ships are sub-par, but rather they wouldn't have some of the things we really enjoyed on Epic, such as the Irish pub, the water slides, etc. Of course, we also chatted with a few people on the Epic that hated the ship and said the Pearl was the best they've been on.

Anyway, I'd just love some opinions. Do we go for the next ship in the progression of cruise lines trying to top each other, or should we look more seriously at the Pearl?

Thanks!

I have been on the Pearl 4 times and the Epic once. I need to know more about "the Etc." you like in order to answer to your question. For now, the Pearl has the Blue Lagoon and one water slide. Going to the Pearl will not be a step back unless you are talking not having Blue man group, legends, cirque dreams, howl at the moon, water park, spice H20, rapelling wall, or Euro bounce. On the Pearl you will find similar restaurants, similar freestyle, similar cruise staff shows, smaller spa, smaller gym, bowling, bliss Nightclub, a walking promenade that goes all the way around, a jogging track on the upper decks, and a wonderful outdoors cafe at the stern, and suites that have bow forward balconies, and similar concept with the courtyard villas where you have private everything. Freestyle is the same on both ships. Oh...the Pearl has a Tex/Mex restaurant too.

Hope this helps with your decision! You may also want to check out the pictures on the NCL website to get a feel of the Pearl's decor.

coka

Thank you all for the comments, they are very helpful.

As for the etc...We'd miss the pub but that seems somewhat made up for by Blue Lagoon. I really enjoyed Howl at the Moon, but as long as there's good entertainment - and enough of it - I'm not too worried about the particulars. The pool area on the Pearl does seem a bit campy, but it looks pretty large for the size ship. The rest of the differences don't seem all that important.

I think my real problem is I'm having trouble justifying the price premium for the Allure, especially since we really enjoyed the freestyle aspect of NCL. But there is the appeal of a brand-new ship.

Of course I'm now making things more complicated for myself by looking at the 11-night cruise on the Dawn. Sigh. NCL has a lot more options than RCCL, which is obviously good and bad.

Thanks again!

I've sailed the Dawn 4 times too. Ask away! The Dawn's layout is a bit different than the Pearl but has a nice atrium. Again, freestyle, restaurants, are similar. You can take your food from Blue Lagoon out to the promenade on the Dawn. the Dawn does not have aft outdoor cafe. She has very nice hot tub quiet area forward ship. Dawn has excellent entertainment as well (again, not like the Epic, but similar to Pearl). Ooooooh, I would love to go longer than 7 days! Some day I will!

Good luck with your choice!

coka

The dawn is wonderful too! It is hard to compare a "new" ship to one that has been around for a couple years. I usually go by price and NCL wins hands down. I agree to go with your gut, but a 10 day cruise is amazing!!!!!!!! Have fun whichever you choose!

I suggest you sail on her before you judge.

Not in a million years! Don't plan to ever waste my money taking a trip on that ship. I know all I need to know by looking at her deckplans, photos, and reading the reviews.

Thankfully NCL doesn't appear to be planning to make the same mistakes with the new builds.

Not in a million years! Don't plan to ever waste my money taking a trip on that ship. I know all I need to know by looking at her deckplans, photos, and reading the reviews.

Thankfully NCL doesn't appear to be planning to make the same mistakes with the new builds.

I agree with you and was surprised to read Mike's reply. I wonder if we are miss-inturpting him? Mike has often posted how much he liked the EPIC, but also notes how much cheaper the Epic was vs RCL.

OP,

I will be honest, I have never been on the Epic and probably will not, but I won't say never. The only reason I say this< I don't think I was to sail a ship quite that contempory or large. It is not my personality, but this certainly isn't saying anything negative as I don't think if you haven't experienced something you can honestly be a fair judge.

Now, I will say, we loved the Pearl, but it is very much typical NCL so not the same atmosphere as the Epic I am guessing. The Dawn is older, a little smaller and the cruise ship more NCL loyalists return to than any other. That should tell you something.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Nita

Op,

Booking a suite on the Pearl might just be the difference and the Ahhh of your next cruise. Sailing in a penthouse on NCL is an amazing experience. I'm not sure you had a penthouse on the Epic, so sailing on the Pearl in a penthouse could put your cruise experience as something new and different. As long as you keep in mind that the Pearl is a more traditional cruise, especially with entertainment, I don't think you can go wrong.

We were in an aft-balcony (BA) on the Epic, which honestly we didn't like because of the engine noise. The Penthouses are apparently on the stern of the Pearl/Dawn, so I don't know how I feel about that, but as you note I think the PH would be a really nice upgrade.

As long as you keep in mind that the Pearl is a more traditional cruise, especially with entertainment

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

Thanks,

James

We were in an aft-balcony (BA) on the Epic, which honestly we didn't like because of the engine noise. The Penthouses are apparently on the stern of the Pearl/Dawn, so I don't know how I feel about that, but as you note I think the PH would be a really nice upgrade.

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

Thanks,

James

I would suggest the Pearl for your next trip and absolutely the AE or Ad on the stern. We have sailed in an AE on the the Pearl and fell in love with it. The only noise that we ever noticed was the sound of the wake (no engine noise) and no vibrations when pulling into and out of port that I see Epic cruisers talk about on the stern cabins.

I haven't been on the Dawn yet but will be on her in a couple weeks but I think that going from Epic to the Pearl would be a good transition for you. I happen to love the Pearl as she is a beautiful ship with a great crew both times that we were on her. A friend tried to warn me that the Dawn is an older ship so not to expect the same things. I do know that it will be different and maybe not as sparkly but I know I will still have a wonderful time. How can you not have a wonderful time? :rolleyes: Oh, ok... maybe if the power goes out for days... I might not be thrilled. Or if there were really rough seas and I got sick... but other than that nothing would spoil a cruise for me. Even our last trip in January on the Pearl I hurt my neck (2 days before embarkation) and had to wear a neck brace and go down to the ship's infirmary to get a shot for pain every day I still had a good time. By the way... if you ever need to go to the infirmary rest assured that they are all very nice and helpful to making sure you enjoy as much of the trip as possible. Yes, they do have to charge you but I don't think what they charged was a whole lot more than if I were to go to a doctor at home. Luckily I got reimbursed for everything as the injury was due to a work incident.

I haven't been on other cruise lines but that is my choice as we are "freestyle" people so I can't give you any advise regarding the other ship. But from what all I have read and have experienced the "sweet suite" life on NCL is above and beyond wonderful.

So far the Pearl is my favorite and I think will always be first in my heart but I can't wait to see what the Dawn will bring as I have heard so much good about her. Although we will be on her pre-dry dock I know it will still be good and since you will be post dry dock you will see her at her all sparkled up if you decide to go this route. :D

No matter what if as someone said you go with an open mind you will have a great cruise.

I can add more. In my experiences of sleeping on a cruise ship, the Pearl definitely wins hands down. My sister and I were in a handicapped cabin at the stern and we never felt the vibration or movement. Any of the beds I ever slept in on the Pearl during my four cruises on her all had the pillow top mattresses and an additional mattress topper. I also stayed in a penthouse suite on the bow (9500) and it was fantastic. Keep in mind if you select a penthouse, you do not get access to the courtyard private area (you have to get a courtyard villa, garden villa, or owners suites for that access). My 9500 balcony was gigantic! You do get a concierge/butler/VIP embarkation/debarkation/other perks.

Regarding entertainment, you will get three of the JAR shows throughout the week on both Dawn and Pearl. The Dawn has an excellent dance band, Next Stage, comedien Dave Heenan, and great duo performers (Fire and Ice, Jose and Patti). The Pearl has Oh What A Night (tribute to Frankie Vally and 4 seasons), David Naster comedien, and show dancers with the longest legs I've ever seen! The Pearl has bowling and Bliss. The DAwn does not (yet late night dancing occurs in two lounges).

Good luck with your choice again!

coka

Although we have not yet been on the Epic...(January perhaps), we loved the Pearl! Great service, small ship, but nicely appointed. It won't be as over-the-top as the Epic, but a nice selection of restaurants, both premium and otherwise....

I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you realize that it's not to the scale of Epic....

I really appreciate all the replies. Between them and reading way too many reviews, it's given me a lot to think about with respect to exactly what we want for our next trip. One strike against NCL though is their cancellation policy. For various reasons there's a decent chance we'd have to cancel, and with NCL we'd be out our deposit no matter how far out we were. RCL will do a full refund so long as it's 90 days prior to sail date. Just one more factor to consider.

Thanks again!

I was just in the same boat (so to speak), having cruised RCCL Oasis OTS just two months before the Norwegian Gem. I was worried Gem would be a "downgrade" of sorts, being a smaller and older ship. I needn't have worried - it never felt significantly smaller to me, and there was always stuff to do. We had a blast on the Gem and I would definitely cruise a Pearl/Gem-sized ship again.

That said, if money was not an object, Oasis is my favorite ship by far and I'd sail her again or Allure in a heartbeat. But I don't think you'd be disappointed with Pearl just because she's a smaller or older ship than Epic/Allure - if Gem is any indication, there will still be plenty to keep you busy!

Archived