Safety or just pushy

In2why

If we leave the port area and go into Belize on our own is it a safety issue or just a problem with pushy vendors?

I looked at a map of the Belize area and it looks simple enough to walk to the lighthouse and park and I think I would like to hunt for the Fleamarket outside of the part area. But I don't want to have to worry about being mugged in broad daylight or worse either.

Just pushy. When the ships are in there is always extra police everywhere. Just be firm and aware of your belongings and your surroundings. Do not flash cash or Rolexes. Drink inside the village. Have Fun!!!

I have lived in San Pedro Belize for almost three years and I still get it from the pushy vendors in the city.

I was hoping you would respond since I read that you lived there. It seems so silly to me that people keep writing that they wouldn't leave the port, and how it is so horrible that they only go with a tour. Yet every now and then I see others who venture into the city and have a great time.

I think based on the map that the Fort Flea market and the lighthouse are pretty close to the port area and an easy walk. Is there anything else within walking distance that might be worth checking out? I am not looking for Bars or stores, there is enough of that inside the port area, and I figure the flea market should have some things native to the area. Isn't it wooden items that are made there?

Thanks for your help!

Frommer's has walking tour ideas. I spend my time in the city shopping and thats about it. I'm in and out fast. You can take a taxi most places in Belize for under $10us, It should be closer to $5 with two people.

And please dont think that the City is all thaat Belize is. There is so much more.

It is a very easy and pleasant walk, we did it a couple of months ago and had no problems at all, only a bit of friendly interest in DH's mobility scooter (although we did leave it until about lunchtime so most of the guides & taxis had probably got clients or given up by then). There are 2 gates to the port and the flea market is between the 2 gates on the opposite side of the road. Turn left out of either gate and wander along for maybe 10 minutes most and you will see the swing bridge on your left, cross that and you are in town. We followed the main street down to the Anglican Catherdral which is about 10 minutes walk past the end of the shops. It's more like an English parish church but quite a nice atmosphere and we even got to meet the bishop, who was delighted to chat to tourists.

Archived