cayman shore snorkel vs Tabyana Roatan

margincall

We are basically beginning snorklers who want to go either on the cayman shore snorkel excursion or the Tabyana beach break in Roatan and would like to know which is better for novice snorklers and if you just wanted to relax on the beach while someone else snorkeled-also in the Cayman excursion is there a place just to swim without snorkeling-well i know that sounds like a trick question:rolleyes: but i meant just to get wet without going under?

Snorkeling from the shore would most likely be best at Tabayana...and the beach there is gorgeous! You can park yourself on a lounge and just take a dip if you don't want to snorkel. But the snorkeling is supposed to be fantastic from there:) In Cayman, you could go on the cheap and just take a cab or bus up to 7 Mile Beach...or choose a different excursion (swimming with the rays is alot of fun!).

We are basically beginning snorklers who want to go either on the cayman shore snorkel excursion or the Tabyana beach break in Roatan and would like to know which is better for novice snorklers and if you just wanted to relax on the beach while someone else snorkeled-also in the Cayman excursion is there a place just to swim without snorkeling-well i know that sounds like a trick question:rolleyes: but i meant just to get wet without going under?

We are going to Grand Cayman on Princess in February....have never snorkeled before either......we have booked (through Princess) the Reef and Wreck Snorkeling excursion......they say it is a good one for beginners.....they go to the Cali wreck and then to a reef.....

There is no doubt that Roatan is "the" place you want to snorkel. Cayman has great beaches and swimming but if it's a little wavy the visability will be limited. Also there are no real reefs off the beach compared to Roatan.

We were in Roatan a few weeks ago and the water was calm and clear with things to see everywhere. Do bring bug spray. Out of 5 of us I was the only one that got bitten and wish I had thought about it. We have been there 4 times before however and never had a problem, so who knows?

My vote is for Tabayana; did the Beach Break excursion with RC Voyager; amazing snorkeling; wonderful beach; great music (we tipped well); lunch was okay, but that wasn't what we were there for; I would highly recommend this beach

We snorkeled in Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Roatan. Tabayana was my favorite. They provided a guide at Tabayana and led us through the reef and took us out to the drop off. There are also staff in kayaks to help anyone who has trouble. At Tabayana you can also get a massage on the beach for $25 per half hour.

However, others told me they preferred Cayman, I thought the sea was rougher there. We did the stingray city snorkel tour. Chankanaab in Cozumel was also nice and you can snorkel right off the beach.

I've snorkeled numerous times in different places at all the islands mentioned and the is no comparison doubt that Tabyana is the best.. In fact, for snorkeling from shore, it is one of the best locations in the Caribbean.

We had a private driver back on New Year's 2007 and asked him to take us somewhere to snorkel. He took us to Half Moon Bay, and it was fabulous. My wife spent a little while in the water, then took to a lounger for shrimp, fries, and a nap. I got so caught up in taking pictures (bought an underwater housing for my "advanced consumer" camera just for the trip) that I didn't notice I had drifted out of the bay and around the point to a sandy beach area. Since I wasn't entirely certain which direction I had drifted, I just walked up to a boat rental place and told them where I was supposed to be. They ran me back to the right place in a little boat, for which the driver received a nice tip. This is the same reef that makes Cozumel a great place to snorkel. it's second in size to the Great Barrier Reef. (This driver was provided by a orphanage we were bringing supplies to - you'd need to check the Roatan board for other options.)

RoatanHalfMoonBay013.jpg

RoatanHalfMoonBay060.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived