Broome and Camels

lynsteve

• 2 weeks later...

We have friends that have recently returned from a cruise that stopped there...Sun Princess by memory. They did the camel ride, booked through the ship. Said it was awesome, however friends DH was disappointed as he neglected to wear his glasses whilst on the camel ride.....and missed out on the sights when the camels strolled through the nudist beach...lol. Said they would do this again, glad they did, also not a great deal in town for an aussie to see, but liked the town regardless.

Jen

I have not ridden on Cable beach, but I have been on a 1 hour camel ride on a beach and at the end my butt and thighs were killing me!! The camel saddle had a snug U shaped seat for one person and my husband sat in that and then a flatter seat behind which I ended up with and you had to hold on tight with your legs to stop sliding back and forth and when your thighs got too tired to hold on, you just had to slide up and down!! I was so glad to get off that camel - but I am glad that I have done it once!! I took a cool photo of the shadows of the camels on the sand and our shadows waving!

We have done the camel rides on the beach in Broome. There are about 3 companies that do them and they are there in the afternoon and evening and maybe in the morning too. You just walk up to where they are and book your ride. Don't need to do any ships tours as it is very easy to do yourself.

We enjoyed the camel ride and yes, you will probably pass by the nudies area which was not a particularly pretty sight as most were the wrong side of 60. The kids thought it was quite hilarious though.

you will probably pass by the nudies area which was not a particularly pretty sight as most were the wrong side of 60. The kids thought it was quite hilarious though.

Humps,lumps and bumps everywhere then....:D:D:D

stevo

• 3 weeks later...

Shirley and I were on Sun Princess April 2009 and stopped at Broome during our Northern Explorer cruise.

We pre booked a tour with a private operator and were well pleased. We not only did a tour of Broome (Pearls, luggers and a great brewery/Pub) but they arranged our camel ride on Cable beach.

It is something you really should do, no matter what your age - and we had all types on our "string". The operators do a fantastic job and will even take photos and videos for you using your camera.

Something to remember; The tide differences at Broome are extreme and for us, and as I understand it quite frequently, the cruise ships arrive at about 11.am and then don't depart until 11.pm. This means:

1. There is no rush doing the camel ride at sunset

2. You get a very rare opportunity to see (and photograph) your ship from the shore at night with all the lights etc ablaze !:)

cheers

Archived