School Supplies Or Clothing Donations: How & Where?

kicker

Doing a cruise to San Juan, St. Maarten & St. Kitts. Usually we like to bring items to donate to locals (either school supplies or children's clothing).

San Juan & St. Maarten don't strike me as "poor" areas (at least not near the ports). I've done a little research on St Kitts, and its not as poor as many Caribbean islands, but there are problems in outlying areas.

My question: does anyone know of a good and effective way of donating items in St. Kitts? Has anyone done this - any contact info?

$20 worth of school supplies or clothing isn't much to us, but might be a treasure to a young child or school. Any info will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought up on my cruise thread the idea of donating items - several want proof the teacher is legit (understandable). I tried to post on the forum above - you need to be approved before posting. I put in my info a week ago - every time I check it still says "awaiting approval".

• 2 years later...

Here is a local mission that works with Children on the Island. They are from Indiana and moved to St Kitts.

Information from Website: (Brandon & Wendi)

We know what you’re thinking. Who wouldn’t want to be called by God to a beautiful, remote island in the Caribbean? But there is more to St. Kitts than great weather and sandy beaches. Ever since our original mission trip there in 2007, we have been especially burdened for the Kittitians. We went to serve them, but they also served us in so many special ways. Even after returning home, the hospita...ble people of St. Kitts always stuck in our minds as being extraordinary. There was and innocence about the people but you could tell that it was changing quickly. That is when the Lord started tugging at Brandon’s heart.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Mission-St-Kitts/153971801300476?fref=ts

One thing to keep in mind is that there are customs rules that apply.. and generally.. there are no customs officers to greet you.. so you have to go to the office to clear your donations and do the paperwork.

There is a process for doing this.. you need to check each country for it's own policy and do the paperwork in advance so that customs can approve.

Archived