"Must Have" items when cruising/travelling with kids

mom2two2

I agree with the PPs that mentioned an umbrella stroller - if your child is stroller-sized, it is so helpful to have one! A sun-shade, saddle-bags, and rugged-terrain wheels are features that I love about our old Jeep umbrella stroller.

Another must-have for us: as many individually-wrapped Germ-X wipes as I can stuff into my luggage!:D

100ct.jpg

I also always take my Presto Bucket with us. It folds up into its own stuff-sack for packing! The girls (4 and 8) use it as a beach bucket, we hang it over the stroller handle to carry stuff in, etc. It's great!

GW-1008-2T.jpg

Also, each of my DDs has a messenger-style bag that they get to fill with toys to take with them. We take a trip to the dollar store a few days before the cruise and I let them each pick out a set number of items to put in their "cruise bag". Then they add a few of their toys from home, too. Once it's packed, they are not allowed to open the bag until we are on the trip. The anticipation helps make those little dollar-store items exciting.:)

Edited to add: I just remembered something else - My (very petite) 4-yr-old can't reach the potty without a step-stool. I forgot to take one on our cruise last November. We asked the room steward if they had anything onboard that we could use. No luck. We had to run to the mall at our first stop in Port Canaveral to buy one. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if we didn't have one at all, but DH or I would have had to assist her each time on and off the toilet. It was easier for all with the stool. :)

one more addition to the first aid kit: small individual Gatorade packets for stomach flu or diarrhea... it tastes better than pedialyte, and they're so small- just stick a few of the "sticks" you add to individual water bottles right into the first aid kit.

-Med Kit (tylenol, motrin, benadryl, bandaids etc)

-Favorite blankie, lovey, bedtime stories, etc and like others have said - put it somewhere safe when leaving the cabin!

-disposable bibs

-sippy cups or other sports type of cup - easier to travel around the ship with

-if you have a binkie lover - brings lots of extras!

-baby wipes, even if they're out of diapers they come in handy to clean hands and faces

-powder is great at removing sand

-Ziploc bags aren't just for nasty diapers - great for wet bathing suits and to keep clean clothes dry and sand-free. For smelly diapers, we used scented diaper bags. Our room steward appreciated these!

-sand toys

-sun hats and sunglasses

-life jacket for small swimmers and for the tender boats (I felt better knowing he was safe), or swimmies. We also brought a baby spring float when he was young for the beaches (it folds up flat):

NCLGreatStirrupCay3-29-08_23.jpg

We also brought a foldable tent for the beaches:

NCLSamana3-25-08_16.jpg

And we used a blow up bathtub on the balcony:

NCLDayatSea3-24-08_11.jpg

I'm sure there's lots more. Most important - lots of patience, a sense of humor, and a sizable memory card for the camera! I actually forgot my camera on one trip!!!

Archived