Cabanas on Nieuv Amsterdam

sandiego1

There is absoutely NO Smoking in the Retreat Cabana area or in the Cabana's period..I would not have rented one if there was..

Actually as you come out of the door by the elevators there is a railing ashtray there for smokers. I discovered this while setting up our M&G on the 1st of December and wanted a smoke. One of the Officers took me out and showed me where it was.

I took a glance around to make sure no one else was around and had a quick smoke as I did not wish to disturb those that did not smoke.

Joanie

I also have breathing problems when around smokers so I e-mailed HAL as I have a cabana booked for 14 days. I got the following e-mail this afternoon:

Smoking is not permitted in any of the cabanas onboard the ship.

This is true HOWEVER.... There is smoking as soon as you exit the elevators onto the deck where the entry for the Cabana Club is. So technically the statement from HAL is correct. But in actuality....

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you and Kind regards,

Brad

Brad Lyman I Holland America Line I Ship ServicesI P:1-800-541-1576

We can breathe easy when at the cabanas.:)

Joanie

Here's the email I just received from Brad at HAL. I sent him a follow-up email questioning smoking in the Cabana Club area as well as if there are pro-rated refunds for unusable cabanas due to bad weather. I'll post his reply when I get it.

Smoking is not permitted in any of the Cabanas onboard the ship. There are four loungers in the family Retreat Cabana. I have attached a sample picture to this email for you to view.

The Cabana Club area will be restricted to those who have reserved a cabana for their voyage.

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us. We are available by telephone Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm PDT at 1-800-541-1576.

Brad

There is a lot of misinformation about the Cabana Club..there is NO SMOKING in the cabana, or in the private area surrounding the cabana.. You can get a refund if the weather does not allow you to use the Cabana.. here are the answers to some questions I asked directly from HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam Ship Coordinator..

Susanne,

Please see the below questions / answers and the attached lunch menu from the Beverage Manager onboard.

We would like to entertain friends we might meet on the ship. I thought it was a classy way to entertain rather than just on our balcony or in our cabin. Is this allowed?

Answer

Family cabanas are for 4 adults and 2 children under 18 only. Since it is only you and your daughter as long as the number of adults does not exceed the max there is no problem.

Also if I do entertain can drinks be charged separately? Or will they go on my account since I have the cabana?

The beverages for cabana occupants are charged to the “registered” on board account.

If I purchased liquor on the ship, for our own use, for example vodka and mixer can I bring that up there?

You may order Liquors via in room dining for in room consumption only.

Can we bring wine up there? Yes, any wine that is not provided by HAL and brought to a public area is subject to a $18 corkage fee per bottle. If purchased onboard no corkage fee is charged.

What if it is raining? Can you still use them or is it too slippery up there?

If it’s a light rain it’s still usable, if cabanas are unusable due to rain any unused portion of the day is refunded.

Thank you for your patience while I got the answers for you and if you have any more questions please feel free to contact me again.

Kind regards,

Ship Coordinator: ms Nieuw Amsterdam You may phone ship services and ask her name.

Cruzin Suzin - how did you find out that there was no smoking? Is it posted on the HAL site somewhere? i'd like to bring a copy of the policy w/ me in case we run into trouble. I have asthma so I try to avoid smoke as much as possible. When I am on an open deck, I try to sit away from anyone that has an ashtray in front of them. If someone starts to smoke, I go into the pool or take a walk while they are smoking. A cabana where smoking is restricted, would be perfect for me. I don't care what it costs!!

You can phone ship services, and then ask to speak to the NA ships coordinator..as for her email address and then speak to her directly, she is in contact with the ship and coordinates the requests, and information directly from/with the people who are responsible ON the ship.. She has asked me not to post her name here but it's easy to get this information one phone call to ships services will be enough..but get an email from her in reference to NO SMOKING any where in this area then you have something to show the stewarts attending that area and they can take it up with their manager, and any people who are smoking..

This area is meant to be a retreat area with special spa menus etc..you can take it too the bank that if anyone is smoking in this area when I am on it they will do something about it or I will get a refund..I don't care where else any one smokes as I am not paying extra for any other area on the ship..they are public..this happens to be private, like a country club and even a country club has rules..

Hope I have answer your question without rattling on..

Here's the latest reply I got from Brad confirming the no smoking in the Cabana area (not just in the actual cabanas). And like Cruisin Suzin, I will make a big stink (pun intended) if someone is smoking there. I will bring a print-out of Brad's email to show the steward that is caring for the area.

If smoking is permitted in an area and I'm in it, well then too bad for me. I don't like it but they have every right to be there. So I will leave the area until the smoking is done. If smoking is not permitted in an area and I'm in it, then I will complain until the rules are enforced.

There is no smoking allowed in the Cabana area. Also, refunds for the cabanas are on a case by case basis. You would have to ask the staff onboard the ship if this situation were to happen

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us. We are available by telephone Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm PDT at 1-800-541-1576.

Brad

Here's the latest reply I got from Brad confirming the no smoking in the Cabana area (not just in the actual cabanas). And like Cruisin Suzin, I will make a big stink (pun intended) if someone is smoking there. I will bring a print-out of Brad's email to show the steward that is caring for the area.

If smoking is permitted in an area and I'm in it, well then too bad for me. I don't like it but they have every right to be there. So I will leave the area until the smoking is done. If smoking is not permitted in an area and I'm in it, then I will complain until the rules are enforced.

There is no smoking allowed in the Cabana area. Also, refunds for the cabanas are on a case by case basis. You would have to ask the staff onboard the ship if this situation were to happen

Brad

Thank you for the info.

As I posted earlier, i was on the NA, Nov 28 Western Caribbean cruise, and twice during my visit to the Cabana Club, there was a couple smoking in their cabana. Obviously, no one complained, because I didn't see the attendants doing anything about it. If I had known it was a no smoking area, I would have said something.

For sure, if it happens again on a future cruise, I will say something.

Archived