Travelers Checks

Babie

I've never used travelers checks before, so I need some advice. This is partially Princess related, that's why I asked here :)

Can I cash Travelers Checks onboard the ship? Is there a charge to cash them onbaord?

What incriments would you suggest I get the checks in? ($400-500 total) I'm assuming they come in $20, $50 and $100, but I couldn't find the infromation on American Express' website.

Thanx

LES!

We haven't used them in years. But, for the amount that you want to take, $50's are probably the best bet.

AAA Auto Club used to do them for free if you are a member. Also, the person signed on the original checks is the one who has to cash them. Some TC's have a 2 signature lines so that either of 2 people can cash them.

Charlie

I've found that over the years, I've needed to take fewer and fewer $$$ in traveler's checks. I now bring cash (and travelers checks to cash) for tipping to/from the cruise and incidental shopping while on shore. Most reputable places you shop in while in port will take a credit card. I even used mine in Egypt and Turkey!

If it's a long cruise, I bring a couple of $100 checks, a few $50s and several $20s. I've been on a cruise where the Pursar's Desk ran out of cash and didn't get more until two ports later so I always bring a few smaller denomination travelers checks in case I want to buy something onshore where they don't take credit cards. I don't like to carry the larger travelers checks with me onshore.

Every cruise for the past couple of years, I've brought travelers checks home uncashed.

Archived