7am - 2pm St. Maarten; What did you do?

T.O.cruisers

Last season, the port stop in St Maarten was longer--until just after sunset.

That being said, though, you would likely still have time for both of those things. You can get off the ship quite early if you want.

If the weather is iffy (or too hot!) and you don't want to taxi all the way up to Orient, just walk the road out of the port and follow it around to the left. Maybe 10 minutes later, you'll find shops and also a small-ish beach of sorts (many crew and pax do go there).

Here's a really nice website that talks all about the island, and at the bottom, you can find many reviews of things that people did there:

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/StMaarten.htm#Reviews

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been there as well but many years ago, but my cruisemate hasn't and he has heard all about Orient beach and wants to go there. I can't remember how far away it is from the dock. But I want some time to browse the shops; good shopping there.

I wasn't happy with the short port time in St Maarten. I think there were three other ships in port with us, and I was afraid of going to Orient Beach ( I seem to recall it's a pretty good cab ride..) and afraid I would not return in time, as you have to be on board by 1:30. I am not an early riser, nor do I want to get to a beach at 8AM. I just did a little walking around the port.

If you are looking for something a bit different to do, you could consider the 2 hour trail ride and beach swim (on horseback) that Lucky Stables do. They organise trail rides for beginers up to experienced riders. They have Western tack, so very comfy ride and easy to hang on if you are not that confident. It is aonly a short taxi ride from the port (I think about 20 mins). They have a little outside bar where you can have a cold drink whilst you wait for your taxi to return for you (they will organise one for you). You can find out more via their website http://www.luckystables.shoreadventures.net/

I really enjoyed the experience, the scenery was lovely and it was nice to escape the crowds.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been there as well but many years ago, but my cruisemate hasn't and he has heard all about Orient beach and wants to go there. I can't remember how far away it is from the dock. But I want some time to browse the shops; good shopping there.

Orient Beach isn't that far away, only about 10 miles north of where you dock. On this map, Poesia will be right where the lower gold star is, just above Great Bay.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/caribb/stmartin.htm

There will be shopping all around the port and near the beach, too, so you should be all right.

It could be better to set out for the beach first since there'll be less traffic and it'll be less crowded. Also, in case the rains come in, in the afternoon ...

Here's an older thread with a little info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=970770

It does look like Poesia DID leave on time today, though--could be it's more important than otherwise, in case of unpredictable weather in the Bermuda Triangle, and with Nassau being an even shorter port stop:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=10&mmsi=355931000&centerx=-63.05524800&centery=18.00480100

Thank you Satincruz.

I guess the inexpensive price of the MSC cruise results in shorter port times. I'm glad I've already visited the ports and will just enjoy the week away and the sea days (if I can get up early enough to get a lounge chair).

Thank you Satincruz.

I guess the inexpensive price of the MSC cruise results in shorter port times. I'm glad I've already visited the ports and will just enjoy the week away and the sea days (if I can get up early enough to get a lounge chair).

You're welcome, T.O.cruisers.

I don't think that's exactly the reason the port times are shorter. What I just read this week is that Poesia has a slower max speed than many other ships, so that may be a factor. Although one good thing is that this seems to make for a much smoother ride.

Don't worry, though, you can still have a great cruise. And you can always find a lounge chair somewhere, if you don't need to be right in the middle of the pool games. Generally the higher up you go, and the further to either the front or the back of the ship--there are a few "secret" areas that usually have open loungers :)

Archived