We took the Sea Taxi over to Caye Caulker

Canada Rocks

Hey Wade, is the Tiki God still at the Lizard? They brought him out when I was there a few years ago to help celebrate my Bd,...I slammed the cover back over him and broke off his sticky out part! (edited for the prudish). It was hilarious! We had a blast there and loved the place and the people. I want to go there again on my cruise in November.:D After all, it will be my bd again!

We went here during our Carnival Miracle Cruise New Years 2005.

It was freezing and it poured rain.

I am sure it would be nice in the sun. Nothing was open except the restaurant where the dock was.

Not impressed for $99. each -- we were a family of 4. Still nothing was open -- nothing to purchase -- it just rained and rained and rained -- nothing to do but freeze.

We have not traveled at that time of the year since.

we prefer the Feb Presidents week. Feb 2012 we will be in Belize again -- not sure what we will do-- but the water taxi sounds interesting -- not expensive -- and you can change your mind and not go if the weather is not good. Unlike the cruise line.

Hey Wade, is the Tiki God still at the Lizard? They brought him out when I was there a few years ago to help celebrate my Bd,...I slammed the cover back over him and broke off his sticky out part! (edited for the prudish). It was hilarious! We had a blast there and loved the place and the people. I want to go there again on my cruise in November.:D After all, it will be my bd again!

Never heard of that. I will ask on my next visit.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a fee to be at Caye Caulker? What costs are involved? Just the taxi and food/drink/snorkel, etc?

Thanks!--CeleBrat

No fee. It's an island that has a few restaurants and bars. People live there. The roads are not paved. You pay for whatever you eat/drink/do. We rented a golf cart (no cars), had lunch and a few drinks. We had a good day.

Kathy

i DIDN'T see a response to the question re: safe to be alone n Belize? We're 2 females traveling alone and wonder about renting the golf cart to travel the island by ourselves? Any other suggestions? thx.

We've been to Caye Caulker several times. We have always used Coral Breeze - either included in an excursion or just as the transportation. When we did just the transportation, they dropped us off, we rented a golf cart, ate lunch, drank Belikins and drove around the entire little island. We had a wonderful time.

www.coralbreezetours.com

Kathy

i DIDN'T see a response to the question re: safe to be alone n Belize? We're 2 females traveling alone and wonder about renting the golf cart to travel the island by ourselves? Any other suggestions? thx.

I think Caye Caulker is safe to rent a golf cart and ride around for 2 women. I don't know about using the water taxi versus a vendor that would ensure your return timely. (not for safety - for time and dependability)

We've only ventured out twice from the Tourism Village (versus using Coral Breeze to do water trips for snorkeling, Caye Caulker, Bannister Island). First time was because it was too rough to snorkel and Coral Breeze canceled the trip and refunded 100% money and 2nd time was to do the cave tubing.

I really was not comfortable outside the gates of the tourism village at first. Many people trying to get you to do their tour or buy things from them.

Kathy

Appreciate the response and suggestions. enjoy ur cruise too.

=jkloni;27828663]I think Caye Caulker is safe to rent a golf cart and ride around for 2 women. I don't know about using the water taxi versus a vendor that would ensure your return timely. (not for safety - for time and dependability)

We've only ventured out twice from the Tourism Village (versus using Coral Breeze to do water trips for snorkeling, Caye Caulker, Bannister Island). First time was because it was too rough to snorkel and Coral Breeze canceled the trip and refunded 100% money and 2nd time was to do the cave tubing.

I really was not comfortable outside the gates of the tourism village at first. Many people trying to get you to do their tour or buy things from them.

Kathy

We've been to Caye Caulker several times. We have always used Coral Breeze - either included in an excursion or just as the transportation. When we did just the transportation, they dropped us off, we rented a golf cart, ate lunch, drank Belikins and drove around the entire little island. We had a wonderful time.

www.coralbreezetours.com

Kathy

How much is it to rent a golf cart?

• 1 month later...
Here are 2 pages of photos I took at Caye Caulker - 80 photos in total. I took pictures of everything, buildings, roads, beaches, hotels, etc - so you should be able to get a real good feel of what it looks like:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/caye_caulker

Thanks for the great pix. I think I have now finally made up my mind about what to do in Belize.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Here are 2 pages of photos I took at Caye Caulker - 80 photos in total. I took pictures of everything, buildings, roads, beaches, hotels, etc - so you should be able to get a real good feel of what it looks like:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/caye_caulker

Now completely sold on 'going slow' in Caye Caulker...must try Luis' seafood kabobs on my way to the Split and the Lazy Lizard for frosty libation..does anyone know what time the BBQ grill gets going?

• 1 year later...

Great pictures - took me back to our day on Caye Caulker on our Legend cruise in '09. Will be back there in October again on the Legend, and "go slow" for sure. Last time we used the water taxi service and didn't have a problem. This time we are going through Coral Breeze because the water taxi schedule/timing. Loved hanging out at the split and the Lazy Lizard.

To sparty1 - We were two women and my son (16) and we never felt unsafe on the island.

• 1 month later...

The water taxi is really the way to go! It is so much cheaper than the tours, and you get to spend the day doing what you want!

I was really nervous that we wouldn't get back in time, but the people at the water taxi was awesome.

They do have a new website that you can get info, and even buy your tickets online. Its http://www.belizewatertaxi.com

Have fun in Belize!

:)

Archived