Thanksgiving Cruise on the Conquest

dfmeeks

Tess & Anna had wanted to parasail in GC but the boat wasn't running properly. Fortunately, while looking through the stores on the pier, we found someone who could take them once we returned from our ATV ride. We gave them a $50 deposit & headed to Margaritaville to meet our guide. The girls are not quite 16 yet so I had emailed the vendor to see if their permits would suffice for them to be able to drive. I was told to bring their permits & I'd be required to sign a form indicating I was releasing the vendor from any responsibility if they got injured. They never asked us for the permits but we did sign the releases. I highly recommend the ATV tour. We drove through mud in the jungle for about 2 hours. We stopped to jump in a cenote & again to explore a cave. But, prepare to get covered in mud!

1000792.jpg

1000791.jpg

1000809.jpg

1000793.jpg

1000792.jpg

After rinsing off with their hose, we raced back to the pier so the girls could parasail. Dave & I had parasailed in Cancun many years ago & the view was breath-taking. The water was so clear that we were able to see stingrays underneath the surface. However, for some reason, there wasn't that clarity this time. It definitely didn't effect their enjoyment of the experience!

1000811.jpg

1000812.jpg

1000822.jpg

1000821.jpg

1000814.jpg

Once they were done, we still had some time to shop before getting back to the ship. If you like tequila, there's a small shop that offers tastes of the various flavors. We bought a bottle of the pomagranite. It's delicious & doesn't need to be mixed with anything. Otherwise, the area shops basically are all the same tourist type stuff.

Our last day was a sea day & spent like all of the others. I had contacted the maitre d & requested that the waiters surprise Anna with a happy birthday song that evening. Strangely, instead of surprising her, our waiter approached her & told her he was going to sing. Who cares? It was still fun.

1000836.jpg

1000837.jpg

The next morning, I awoke & sat on my balcony in anticipation of seeing Galveston. We silently glided through the dark & I can see the distant lights getting closer & closer. I was most definitely sad to end our trip but excited to get home to my furry family members.

1000838.jpg

Debarkation was a snap. We did the self-assist & were on our way back to Stillwater in no time.

I really enjoyed the cruise &, the day after we returned, I was looking at cruises for next Thanksgiving. Though I'd love a cove balcony on the Magic, I might look at RCCL just to compare price.

I brought 3 items with me that I would definitely bring again. The first was a shoe holder (I don't know what it's really called) that hooked over the bathroom door & held all of our meds & toiletries so that our counter wasn't a crowded mess. Second, I brought insulated bubba kegs so that I could grab hot coffee in the morning from the buffet area & drink it on our balcony. Third, I brought binoculars in case I saw anything that required closer viewing. I used them when we were sailing into port, to just randomly look out on the ocean, & to more closely examine a white speck I saw in the distance when we had left GC. It was a boat that wasn't moving & seemed deserted. I watched as the Coast Guard, or whatever GC's equivalent is, moved toward it to investigate. Unfortunately, I lost sight before they reached it.

Anyway, thank you to everyone on Cruise Critic. This is a fabulous site where I was able to get tons of info & advice, enabling my family to get the most from our cruise. Mach, I'd like to particularly thank you. You are a wealth of info & you share it with great expertise & humor.

Archived