Live from Caribbean Princess 12/5-12

cdamion

I would have to agree bonaire for snorkeling is amazing, we got a taxi to Windsock beach, near the airport, ships snorkel tour was just around the bend, but we had the beach area to ourselves, we used our own snorkel gear and was amazed by the coral, fish and sourroundings. we ended up walking back as it was only about a half hour walk back.

Beautiful island

I agree 100%, I'm on my lunch break and look forward to reading your next review. It's like waiting a week to see the continuation of your favorite show. Keep it coming and best regards to your fiance and her mother! Hope all is well. I am cruising on the Caribbean Princess in Feb.! Much needed! LOL

Did you see his other thread that has more info and pics? Wonderful pictures and a continuation on his thoughts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1322488

I am now going to change my excursions, and perhaps buy my own snorkel equipment. I want to spend time with my dad/wife. but also want my kids to have fun.

I brought my own snorkel equipment, it takes up a little space, but it's worth it to me to have it so I dont have to rely on the excursions or finding somebody to rent it from if I snorkel on my own.

If you get the ferry to St. John, there is snorkeling at Trunk Bay, which is also an extremely nice beach. Meagan's bay is a nice beach on St. Thomas, but it is solely a sandy bottom, so the snorkeling is not good. Also on St. Thomas you could go to Coki Beach, which has a mix of snorkel areas to the side (fish - no reef) and sandy beach.

If you could find time on Dominica, I would head to Champagne Reef too. Very rocky entry though.

Thanks for a very comprehensive "Live from..." We'll be there in January, b2b and I have a question for you, if you choose to accept the challenge.

In retrospect, what would you have changed or done differently on your cruise? See, I like to learn from other people's experiences, positive and negative.

TIA. Best to you and your lovely lady.

Thanks for a very comprehensive "Live from..." We'll be there in January, b2b and I have a question for you, if you choose to accept the challenge.

In retrospect, what would you have changed or done differently on your cruise? See, I like to learn from other people's experiences, positive and negative.

TIA. Best to you and your lovely lady.

I thought about this quite a bit. There is not a whole lot I would do differently being by myself, so let me answer in 2 ways. First what I would do different if traveling solo:

1) Not be apprehensive about traveling solo.

2) Make sure to request an 8-top table ahead of time (I did, but didn't get it, so I had to see the Maitre D)

3) Taken a taxi tour of Aruba before heading to the beach. Also in Aruba, I would have taken the public bus to get to the beach instead of paying way too much for a taxi.

4) Booked the snorkel excursion on Woodwind in Bonaire much earlier (I did the ship tour because Woodwind was full by the time I contacted them). By the way, I am glad I did Seacow. Next time we will do the Woodwind.

5) A little less walking around St. Georges in Grenada so I could relax at Grand Anse Beach a bit (but then wouldn't have some pictures I really liked)

6) Braved the cold water at Ti Tou Gorge (a guide's thermometer said the water was 57 degrees).

7) Worn water shoes on the very rocky beach at Champagne reef.

8) Skipped Charlotte Amalie and gotten the earlier ferry to St. John and spend time at Trunk or Caneel Bay.

9) Try more local drinks. Each island has a specialty drink they are known for. I only drank my tried and true Painkiller.

If I was with K, I would have spent way less time running around in ports and more time just relaxing with her. For example, in the 7am-2pm Bonaire call, I did the a.m. snorkel trip, then an island tour, then shopping. I was worn out by the time I got back to the ship. Snorkeling/shopping/relaxing would have been fine.

Most of all, if I could have managed to be gone longer, BOOKED THE 2nd WEEK!

Archived