Just how rough are the seas...??

Eventide331

on the Dawn to Alaska we hit a storm and 30 foot seas, all open decks were closed. The waves were coming over the bow. Lasted thru the night and part of the morning. On the other end LA to Mexico RT we had seas like glass. You would have thought we we on a lake with no wind.

Heading south down the West Coast is usually no problem, it's the cruising north against the current that causes the rockin' and rollin'...

i've only taken bonine once. I don't remember if it makes you drowsy or not. can someone tell me that? I intend to be on it daily if needed.

I returned from the Golden to Hawaii two weeks ago, I took Bonine from the day we left Los Angeles, when the Captain announced that there were rough seas and if you took seasick meds take them now. Took them every day until we returned, they worked great for me , I had the ear patches, but never needed them. We had rough to moderate seas about five of the fourteen days. We were on the Aloha deck mid-ship. The other days were moderate to smooth. Enjoyed the cruise and hope you do also.:)

How was the weather in Hawaii? Warm enough to swim? How about the 2nd 2 days at sea? Did it warm up to be outside at the pool?

The more I read about Hawaii and the temps and conditions to cruise there the more confused I get. I really wanted to try something more than the Caribbean but I do like to be outdoors on sea days and to sunbathe on the islands, or at least do a beach! We were thinking of Nov ish.

I returned from the Golden to Hawaii two weeks ago, I took Bonine from the day we left Los Angeles, when the Captain announced that there were rough seas and if you took seasick meds take them now. Took them every day until we returned, they worked great for me , I had the ear patches, but never needed them. We had rough to moderate seas about five of the fourteen days. We were on the Aloha deck mid-ship. The other days were moderate to smooth. Enjoyed the cruise and hope you do also.:)

Bonine never made me drowsy,supposed to be less drowsy than dramimine.

Even with a beer or two or martini;)

How was the weather in Hawaii? Warm enough to swim? How about the 2nd 2 days at sea? Did it warm up to be outside at the pool?

The more I read about Hawaii and the temps and conditions to cruise there the more confused I get. I really wanted to try something more than the Caribbean but I do like to be outdoors on sea days and to sunbathe on the islands, or at least do a beach! We were thinking of Nov ish.

We were there 11/10--11/24--Hilo was cool and it rained all day.

The other islands were dry and temps mid 70's to 80. Did not get to test the water or the beaches due too the tours we booked, looked like many people were out on the beaches we did see.

As far as the sea days, we had a balcony stateroom and I used the balcony almost every day. The pools and lounges had a lot of people using them and catching rays.

If you like it warm, the eight day Mexican Riviera cruises are just that. The beaches and the water are warm.

What ever you choose enjoy.

On our cruise five years ago, we did schedule a beach day in Kauai. When we got off the ship and went through the terminal, there were several store shuttles (Hilo Hatties, Walmart, etc.) waiting. We took the ABC Store one which took us to a little shopping center near the pier. We crossed over a little bridge and voila, we were at a beach (it's behind a hotel, but I can't remember if it's a Marriott, or used to be a Marriott). When we were ready to return, we went inside the ABC Store (it's only fair), bought a few trinkets, and got on their shuttle back.

That afternoon, we did the same for Hilo Hatties. Did a lot of shopping there and then walked down to the McD's so the girl can get a happy meal.

We were there 11/10--11/24--Hilo was cool and it rained all day.

I can't remember ever visiting Hilo (and we have been there probably 6 or more times in the past years), where it didn't rain at least half the day, and sometimes almost all day. It would be so nice to hit it just once where we had sunshine and no rain. ;)

It's almost like gambling.....it can be so calm,the ocean seems still or the rear of the ship can be sticking straight up in the air and waves can come over the promenade deck,but thankfully not very often!!:):eek::D

I can't remember ever visiting Hilo (and we have been there probably 6 or more times in the past years), where it didn't rain at least half the day, and sometimes almost all day. It would be so nice to hit it just once where we had sunshine and no rain. ;)

The one time we've been to Hilo, it did not rain one drop. In fact, every port we went to on that cruise, no rain. Found out when we returned to LA, that they had rain the week before, and on New Years Day no less.

Archived