Goff's Caye....anyone been lately?

ReeRee47

We've been to Belize several times and we've always took a snorkel tour where we had to jump from a boat. This time however we would like to snorkel from shore. There have been mixed reviews about Goff's caye. Can anyone share their experience or recommend a better alternative. Thanks

We were there in February and had a wonderful time. It was beautiful. You could choose to jump boat and swim to shore, or just dock and swim out with the guide. It was very windy that day so we chose swim from shore. I got Catmando (my DH) to upload his pics to photo bucket, so here goes

Goff's Caye

DSCN1426_0033.jpg

And from the ship when we were leaving the channel

DSCN1432_0028.jpg

Very remote. Enjoy!

We were there in February and had a wonderful time. It was beautiful. You could choose to jump boat and swim to shore, or just dock and swim out with the guide. It was very windy that day so we chose swim from shore. I got Catmando (my DH) to upload his pics to photo bucket, so here goes

Goff's Caye

DSCN1426_0033.jpg

And from the ship when we were leaving the channel

DSCN1432_0028.jpg

Very remote. Enjoy!

JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks for the pictures, looks heavenly. How was the snorkeling from shore?

I posted about the Goff's Caye tour with Carnival in my Carnival Dream review if you're interested. There's ton of pictures.

There was some really good snorkeling from shore. You did a lot of swimming though, so sometimes it was hard to just relax and get to look at the coral and the fish. You swim part way around the island and then you swim back.

After we were done with the snorkeling tour, we had a bit of a beach break so we used our snorkeling gear to snorkel in the shallow area. There were some really nice coral and tons of fish closer to the shore too.

If you are looking at Catmando's picture, we set out from the left side of the dock, and swam out over the coral reef. They told us the water was not over our heads. Well I'm 5 foot 3 and it was. After we got back we ordered a lobster shish ka bob, and then we swam and snorkeled on our own to the right of the pier. Beautiful sandy bottom.

If you are looking at Catmando's picture, we set out from the left side of the dock, and swam out over the coral reef. They told us the water was not over our heads. Well I'm 5 foot 3 and it was. After we got back we ordered a lobster shish ka bob, and then we swam and snorkeled on our own to the right of the pier. Beautiful sandy bottom.

Thank you for the info. Do you remember what the food prices were, and were you given the option of just snorkeling from the pier? Was the water as clear as it looks on the photos? Thanks again

There is a cement port a potty, no beach chairs. You can always bring you beach towel from the ship and lay out. N either of us can remember the cost of the lobster ka bob, I'm thinking 9 dollars. The wooden hand carved dish cost 20.00 but I love it!

WE had a choice of swimming from shore or from the boat. If you chose the boat they took the boat out past the reef (very narrow there) and you can swim back to the beach, or you can swim out to the reef, with a guide and then back to the shore.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have an opinion on how the snorkling at Goffs compares to the reef near Caye Calker?

Goffs looks like a nice spot to snorkle, but what makes this most attractive to me is that the boat to Goffs can pick us up right from the ship. (Carnival Glory). This seems like a big advantage over booking a trip with Coral Breeze to Caye Calker where we'd have to first tender to shore.

With that said, I don't know how the snorkling compares.(?) Any input/suggestions on this?

Does anyone have an opinion on how the snorkling at Goffs compares to the reef near Caye Calker?

Goffs looks like a nice spot to snorkle, but what makes this most attractive to me is that the boat to Goffs can pick us up right from the ship. (Carnival Glory). This seems like a big advantage over booking a trip with Coral Breeze to Caye Calker where we'd have to first tender to shore.

With that said, I don't know how the snorkling compares.(?) Any input/suggestions on this?

We did the Caye Caulker excursion last year and really enjoyed it. The tender ride isn't that bad. We waited a little while at the pier while they got the equipment sorted - two different excursions - I remember one lady got quite upset about having to wait 15 minutes or so, but it's "Belize time" no one there is in any sort of hurry. The ride out to where you snorkel was fun and the guides passed around books of fish that we would be looking at. After snorkeling for quite a while at the reef, you are taken to Shark/Ray alley and played with the rays. We saw a nurse shark and a dolphin too. Then it's off to Caye Caulker for lunch. If you didn't prepay for lunch - we hadn't - you are given the option to on the boat, which we ended up doing. It was a great day and at the end, all that was asked of us was to spread the word if you had a good time. We still gave a tip! Got back in time to do a little shopping at the pier and then tendered back to the ship.

We did the Caye Caulker excursion last year and really enjoyed it. The tender ride isn't that bad. We waited a little while at the pier while they got the equipment sorted - two different excursions - I remember one lady got quite upset about having to wait 15 minutes or so, but it's "Belize time" no one there is in any sort of hurry. The ride out to where you snorkel was fun and the guides passed around books of fish that we would be looking at. After snorkeling for quite a while at the reef, you are taken to Shark/Ray alley and played with the rays. We saw a nurse shark and a dolphin too. Then it's off to Caye Caulker for lunch. If you didn't prepay for lunch - we hadn't - you are given the option to on the boat, which we ended up doing. It was a great day and at the end, all that was asked of us was to spread the word if you had a good time. We still gave a tip! Got back in time to do a little shopping at the pier and then tendered back to the ship.

Archived