Bringing duty free liquor / or wine on board???

Lumberton-Lady

Hi

How does Cunard/QM2 handle passengers that want to bring a bottle of run or some beer on board, to drink in their cabin...we have heard that this is not bothered with , however this has not been the case with other cruiselines??? Also how do they handle a bottle of wine crought on board for them to "uncork"/ serve at dinner....also what is the uncorking charge???Thanks!

We bought some gin in Quebec City. It went on the Xray belt like any other daybags, so I'm sure they knew what it ws but nothing was said.

We carried on a few bottles of wine when we boarded. Officially you're allowed one bottle per person but I've never read that Cunard has limited the amount you can bring.

Corkage is $15 per bottle in the restaurant. Others have said here that their wine waiter had waived the corkage fee but we didn't have that luck. Perhaps it works better if you buy an expensive bottle the first couple of nights and then bring your own to the dining room.

When you bring a bottle in you're served as though you had bought a bottle from the cellar - if it's a white they might offer to chill it before serving and place it in an ice bucket. I had brought a few interesting labels of reds and the wine waiter was very interested in discussing them with me.

The key is not to take liberties with them. A few bottles is normally no problem but a couple of cases will probably raise some eyebrows and might be confiscated until you disembark. The cases not your eyebrows. :eek: Remember; moderation in all things.

I have found that taking something on that they don't have is fine. As the Captain says, moderation in all things. You can understand them getting miffed if you never spend anything in the bars.

You can, of course, buy a bottle of gin (or whatever) for your cabin on board.

WD

Archived