TV connections for external devices

DougK

Every now and then there's a post from somebody wanting to connect an external device (e.g., MP3 player, camcorder) to a TV onboard. I thought I should share my latest experience as one more data point:

I was in a Sky Suite -- oops, meant to say Club Continent Suite :) -- a couple of weeks ago on the Journey, and I wanted to connect my MP3 player so I could use the TV as speakers. Here's what the setup was: flat screen TV, with easy to reach side AV2 inputs, and a variety of difficult to reach back inputs (since TV was wall mounted). DVD player, connected to TV via HDMI cable. Normal ship TV channels connected to TV via coax. And finally, the ship's interactive system (PPV, room service, account review, etc.) connected to TV via both component and RCA. Three remotes provided: one to control the DVD player, one for the interactive TV, and one for other TV functions. This last remote also included a button to change the TV input source.

What I hoped would be the easy solution -- plugging into the side RCA connecters and switching input via the remote -- turned out not to work. The TV was a model that insists on finding valid video input; in my case, the MP3 player didn't provide video, so the TV simply said "no signal detected" and didn't activate audio either. If you're using a camcorder, however, this might work for you. My second thought was to plug into the DVD, or even replace the DVD input to the TV with the MP3 player input instead (which is what I did on the Quest several years ago) -- but since they were using an HDMI connection, I couldn't do that. I had not thought about the interactive TV system, but eventually realized it was as I described above, connected to the TV via both component and AV2 RCA. Strangely enough, only the video was connected through AV2, not audio -- the interactive remote automatically switched the TV to component input, so there was no reason for the AV2 connection at all. Except to help out people like me. With a little contortion (and scraping of my hand) I was able to find the AV2 inputs on the back of the TV and connect RCA cables to my MP3 player, even while it was still wall mounted. For the rest of the trip, I was able to switch the TV input to AV2, and listen to music from my MP3 player. While looking at the interactive TV menus. :) Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

YMMV, especially in a cabin without a DVD player, if there's no remote to switch TV inputs. Or if the TV wall mount is 1/2" closer to the wall...

It would be nice if they would simply enable the side inputs and provide a remote to switch TV inputs. Especially since the current TV system does not have any music channels whatever -- I could have sworn they used to have two or three music channels, but perhaps I'm getting confused with another cruise line.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Like you, we appreciate listening to our choice of music in our cabin. We got tired of trying to hook up our Ipod to ship's TVs, playing them through the laptop's speakers or hauling a set of external speakers.

Once on an Air France flight, we noticed a compact speaker system in the on-board duty free sales. Dubiously, we purchased for it 35€ and were really surprised about the wonderful quality of the product. Don't expect Bose sound but you get really great performance for a "hold in the hand" product that only weighs a few ounces. On our return flight we bought a second one! It charges via a usb connector so you would really need your notebook or laptop ..... (I'm sure that Azamara would find a solution to charge it if you are "computerless") A charge lasts for about 9 hours...... no scraped fingers or AV configuration.

Although they said that the product was a "duty-free exclusive" I found a website with the product information.

http://www.lifetrons.ch/Products/Products-LT8006E1.htm

Hope that this is helpful for you and many others who decide to listen to Sorkocevic as they arrive in Dubrovnik........ La Traviata in Venice .... or Lady Gaga on a sailaway from New York :D

All the best

Brian & Tony

• 3 weeks later...

@Doug -

"YMMV" - yep OMDV (Our mileage did vary). I had downloaded the first season of "Nurse Jackie" from iTunes, since we had not seen it. Couldn't get it to 'play nice' with the TV on the Journey. So we watched in our iPod touch. It was very cozy, the two of us sitting on the sofa, plugged in with a Y-splitter, 6 inches from the screen. Well, two feet, maybe.

@bandt -

About the need for a USB outlet: How about using the Apple Universal charger? I use it on all our trips, in Europe with a 220 to 110V adapter. See picture below.

882471357_iPodtouch-s.jpg.dd4f191124e4a3aa6cdff921dd24bc62.jpg

1179857393_iPodonGermantrain-1.jpg.9a9a306707fe2bd226aada78dfcdbb3f.jpg

Archived