Things to do with 18 mos old in Bahamas?

mlprahl

We're cruising on the Carnival Pride Jan 30-Feb 7. We'll be in Nassau 11am-10pm on Thursday and Freeport 7am-2pm on Friday. We have a bunch of family going but my question relates only to my immediate family of me, my wife, and our then-18 month old son. I've looked around the family cruise boards and the Bahamas board but still can't figure out if there's anything worth doing in those ports. Because of cost, we probably wouldn't do anything Atlantis related.

But I figured I would see if there were any specific things to do or not do in those ports. If anyone has any suggestions to excursions or specific vendors (or even those to avoid), please let me know! We're pretty much open to anything, though ideally we wouldn't be up for those things that cost more than $100pp.

Thanks in advance!

I'll be there the week after you and I have the same question. Our son is 3 and still in swimmy diapers. I know he can't swim on board the ship, but is there a cost effective place to go for him to swim/play in Nassau? Is the Aquaventure too much $ for what a 3 yr old can do? I have thought about just taking him to the aquarium at Atlantis and then having some lunch on the beach and heading back to the ship. Thoughts?

I've read mixed reviews about the aquarium at Atlantis on both this site and another "advising" site for "trips." :) The criticism seems to be more about getting your money's worth and many don't feel that's the case with anything involving Atlantis.

With going on the Pride, we're leaning towards going to the National Aquarium in Baltimore the Saturday before we leave on the Pride. I believe it's cheaper than Atlantis and supposedly one of the best in the country.

The Astradia (sp?) Gardens is a small-ish zoo in Nassau that we're thinking about for that stop. Still no clue as to what to do in Freeport.

I'll be there the week after you and I have the same question. Our son is 3 and still in swimmy diapers. I know he can't swim on board the ship, but is there a cost effective place to go for him to swim/play in Nassau? Is the Aquaventure too much $ for what a 3 yr old can do? I have thought about just taking him to the aquarium at Atlantis and then having some lunch on the beach and heading back to the ship. Thoughts?

You might consider either British Colonial Hilton (small and close to port)

$55pp with $30 lunch voucher. Small children are free.

or Sheraton Cable Beach $25pp. kids are free

As for atlantis, the aquarium is $39 for adults (not sure about kids, bur you won't be able to have some lunch even near the beach or outside on the grounds.. It's off limites unless you buy a day pass.

You could eat at Johnny Rockets, the Deli or Pizza place at Marina Village, but not on the Atlantis grounds.

Ardastra Gardens and zoo might be a good spot (www.ardastra.com)

Freeport take a Taxi/Van to Our Lucya ($5 / person each way) You will have to hold child on lap but should not have to pay for child. There is shopping..........Beautiful Beach w/ calm/clear water etc...

Nassau you can do a walking tour around town.....straw market......etc...

also could take Taxi or Water Taxi to Atlantis/Paradise Is. Water Taxi is $3/ person each way and they will give a talk about the island. once there you can walk around the hotel and see a good bit of it for free. I think you can still see some of the Aquarium for free and there are plenty of good photo ops around as well.

on Paradise Is. there is also Cabbage Beach which is free public beach. Beautiful water but Beware the Wvaes can be rough right on the beach. Once you get out past the breakers it can be calmer.

also take an umbrella stroller this will help alot on the ship and on the islands!

Good luck and Enjoy!!!

My DS had just turned 2 the last time we stopped in Nassau. After reading lots of reviews and scouring these boards for advice we opted to spend the day at the British Colonial Hilton. For us it was just perfect. It's just a short walk from the ship - easy to head back at nap time if needed. The beach itself is small but was uncrowded and so relaxing. They even had a small assortment of beach toys for DS to play with.

I believe we paid $60. per adult and DS was free. We then received 2 $30. food and beverage vouchers which we used for lunch for three of us at the poolside bar. (plus a pina colada or two)

We will be back in Nassau on the Pride in February and are hoping the weather is nice enough to make this an option for us.

HTH - have a wonderful trip.

Archived