PVP Pricing always seems more

raymond673

I need some advice. It seems that every time I call my PVP for cruise pricing, the PVP price is more than what I see on the Carnival website.

Why is this?

Also, it seems that our PVP does not give us any breaks, deals, ship dollars, perks, nothing.

I have even talked to another Carnival PVP and it is the same, no deals, perks, and prices are higher than the website.

I read all the posts here about deals, perks, ship dollars, ect and it seems that I just don't know what to ask for or play the "get the best cruise deal" game.

What am I missing here?

Ray

Tx Hill Country

Nothing is free. TAs are not allowed to discount, and are limited to $25 in perks to get your booking.

The price should be the same, .. no matter who you talk to. Are you sure you are adding in the taxes and fees?

What rate are you looking at ... there is no reason the PVP rate would be higher than on the Carnival site. When you have them on the phone .. why dont you quiz them and say I see so and so rate .. and your quote seems higher, please explain it.

PS to get those sale rates that include OBC .. Carnival pumps up the price. You cant mix and match rates. If you want the rate that includes OBC than you cannot book the cheapest rate, you have to pay the rate for that offer. Maybe thats what you are seeing? That if you elect to take the perks, that the rate is higher .. thats true.

People also buy fun dollars for themselves. .. again not free.

Everyone hopes to book at the lowest price possible .. and then they will say, hey I got a deal .. but it is the listed price.

I need some advice. It seems that every time I call my PVP for cruise pricing, the PVP price is more than what I see on the Carnival website.

Why is this?

Also, it seems that our PVP does not give us any breaks, deals, ship dollars, perks, nothing.

I have even talked to another Carnival PVP and it is the same, no deals, perks, and prices are higher than the website.

I read all the posts here about deals, perks, ship dollars, ect and it seems that I just don't know what to ask for or play the "get the best cruise deal" game.

What am I missing here?

Ray

Tx Hill Country

You must have the PVP we've used in the past --- I called one day about a price cut I saw on the Carnival site - she told me it did not apply to us. I filled out the form anyway - and got an email from the group that handles those - not only did we get a price cut - but it was for MORE than I thought it would be - he found another avenue for us ------needless to say - we will not be using a PVP when we plan our next Carnival cruise!!

Pvps and the website have the same pricing.. except the website now breaks it down to an average if you have more than 2 people in the cabin. Plus, if you didn't tell the PVP what you qualify for it's hard to give you the best pricing although they should ask you. There are a few promotions like military and others that are only available at the call centers (PVP's and 1800 #) though.

Discounts are a thing of the past... even TA's can't discount much of anything any more. You should be keeping an eye out for the sales that Carnival comes out with or book early because those are the only discounts you really see lately.

My PVP always quotes me the same price as the website; however, the last time I booked, my PVP kept trying to get me to book a different category and rate at a higher price. It all depends on the type of booking you are making and what you are eligible for, and you have to tell your PVP what those are.

As far as OBC and such, there are lots of ways to get them, that are not included in the booking, ie: credit card points, future cruise certificates and in the past perks from TA's, to name a few. Like Firefly said, when Carnival offers free OBC with a cruise, the price is usually jacked up to compensate.

The best way is to research the exact cruise you want and ask questions. If you book ES, check prices frequently.

Good luck.

You must have the PVP we've used in the past --- I called one day about a price cut I saw on the Carnival site - she told me it did not apply to us. I filled out the form anyway - and got an email from the group that handles those - not only did we get a price cut - but it was for MORE than I thought it would be - he found another avenue for us ------needless to say - we will not be using a PVP when we plan our next Carnival cruise!!

Just becauase your pvp was incompetent does not mean they all are.

I like using my PVP, he breaks everything down for me upfront and makes sure I get what I want for the price I want, that way we both end up happy. One he is sure I understand the rates/fees/policies, then I give him my deposit. He does not pressure me to book a suite when I am happy with a balcony. I buy my own Funship Dollars to use. I check the website and then if the price drops I submit the price match form. Last time since I had already paid in full, I could have had an upgrade or OBC, I took the OBC as I was happy with the balcony cabin that I had booked. I guess it depends who you talk to.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is this?

What am I missing here?

Ray

Tx Hill Country

Hi, Ray and howdy, neighbor!!

The PVPs are simply looking at their side of the mirror and giving you the pricing that they see on their screen. They are not permitted to discount cruises and, for that matter, neither are travel agents. The MOST a travel agent can offer you is 5% of the value of the cruise or $25, whichever is the lower amount.

Now, you may see some pricing on web sites that appears lower but that's often because the taxes and fees aren't included. If you continue the booking process to the end those adds will pop up.

Also, prices often change quickly. Carnivals pricing software does an update every three hours so what you saw this morning may be quite different from what you see this afternoon. Folks who closely follow pricing looking for drops to submit under Early Saver will do a screen shot of the lower price to submit with their request because the pricing may have changed before their request is reviewed.

:)

A pvp has remarkably little authority to do anything. Just an order taker and can ask other dept's to help out his passengers.

Ours will help us get a credit for shareholders credit and make a suggestion as to cabin location but he has absolutely no authority regarding pricing.

What he sees is what he can sell it for.

Archived