Snorkeling on our own?

Geocat

We are headed to Cozumel on Freedom of the Seas in January. Is there a beach that has good snorkeling that we could go to on our own for a few hours? I see alot of post about Mr Sanchos, Nachum and others but they all have entrance fee's and options that we just won't use.

You're on a cruise, you'll need to shell out some add'l money. Just spend wisely. I was in Cozumel this past weekend on a cruise and went to chankanaab (probably spelled it wrong). It was about a five minute cab ride from port (not the downtown port, the other one) and cab ride cost was $10 total for 1-4 people. Entrance fee to park is $19 pp w/ coupon printed from their website. They lease snorkel equipment for $10 pp, just don't rent from the first hut you come to. Walk another 30 yards to the second hut or else you'll pay $15 pp. I spent about 2.5 hours there and it was perfect for avoiding a ship sponsored excursion. The ship excursions also go there, but they charge double and stop at a mexican museum, how exciting. Order the $8 drink in the coconut (comes w/ a refill) and $3 chips and salsa -- you'll be set.

We are headed to Cozumel on Freedom of the Seas in January. Is there a beach that has good snorkeling that we could go to on our own for a few hours? I see alot of post about Mr Sanchos, Nachum and others but they all have entrance fee's and options that we just won't use.

I've been looking for the same thing, and after doing some research on these boards I had narrowed it down to the Money Bar or Corona Beach. They have snorkeling right from the shore and don't charge entrance fees. Of course we'll be purchasing some drinks/food from them, but you can apparently just do this ala carte at both places. Check out a thread I started about this subject - I got some great feedback from people: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1318792

After reading everyone's input, we decided we're going to the Money Bar, but either one seems like a good option. Have a great time! :D

You're on a cruise, you'll need to shell out some add'l money. Just spend wisely. I was in Cozumel this past weekend on a cruise and went to chankanaab (probably spelled it wrong). It was about a five minute cab ride from port (not the downtown port, the other one) and cab ride cost was $10 total for 1-4 people. Entrance fee to park is $19 pp w/ coupon printed from their website. They lease snorkel equipment for $10 pp, just don't rent from the first hut you come to. Walk another 30 yards to the second hut or else you'll pay $15 pp. I spent about 2.5 hours there and it was perfect for avoiding a ship sponsored excursion. The ship excursions also go there, but they charge double and stop at a mexican museum, how exciting. Order the $8 drink in the coconut (comes w/ a refill) and $3 chips and salsa -- you'll be set.

So for 4 people (me + wife + 2 kids) this suggestion is about $150. Is there really not a beach on the island of Cozumel where you can just go and swim and snorkel without worrying about drinks or food or buying anything from anyone? Where do the people who live there go?

Yes, there are areas where you can go to the water for free but since Cozumel is a coral island, most of the beaches are rough and difficult to enter the water. Some improved areas may be free but it is common courtesy to compensate the concessionaire for the effort to keep the beach in usable condition

So for 4 people (me + wife + 2 kids) this suggestion is about $150. Is there really not a beach on the island of Cozumel where you can just go and swim and snorkel without worrying about drinks or food or buying anything from anyone? Where do the people who live there go?

If you are okay with sitting on your beach towel, jump in a cab to San Francisco Beach Club/Paradise Beach walk out to the beach away from the chairs and lay out your towels. Your only expense will be the r/t cab, around 28.00.

Thanks for all the information posted here. My DH and I are looking for a nice spot to do some swimming/snorkeling after spending the morning over at Playa de Carmen. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for!

If you are okay with sitting on your beach towel, jump in a cab to San Francisco Beach Club/Paradise Beach walk out to the beach away from the chairs and lay out your towels. Your only expense will be the r/t cab, around 28.00.

Thank you for this information. My current plan is just to rent a car, spend the morning driving around checking everything out (both beach locations and San Miguel), then the afternoon at whatever I find that appears best in terms of beach location, and this is the current leader. Given the January time period, I'm assuming morning would be too cool for good beach time anyway. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the information posted here. My DH and I are looking for a nice spot to do some swimming/snorkeling after spending the morning over at Playa de Carmen. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Not sure I would leave the Island unless your on a cruise sponsored tour.

Guys,

We have been to Coz nine times with the tenth coming next month. In all those trips we have only done one stop twice and that was Chankanaab Park. For shore snorkeling I would pick Chank or Dzul Ha (by the Money Bar). To get any snorkeling that is any better you need to take a boat tour. I have heard that Corona Beach and Playa Uvas is decent snorkeling but have not tried them yet.

Do you need one coupon per person or one for the entire group (7 of us).

Thanks.

Do you need one coupon per person or one for the entire group (7 of us).

Thanks.

I would take 7 just in case. As Marne stated , all beaches are public, but you may have to trespass to get to them.

The snorkeling at Paradise Beach isn't much. You need coral or ironshore to have good snorkeling and it is very limited at Paradise, but the service is top notch.

The first time we went to Cozumel we went to Chanucaab (sp) to swim with the dolphins. It was a great experience, although expensive. The next time we rented a jeep and looked for a beach to snorkel. It was not fun! Where to park the jeep, the jeep windows on one side would not work so we got soaked in the rain. Where to get gas, where to snorkel??? This time we will go on a tour where they show us the perfect spot to see fish.... not stones!

Easy to find a beach....not good snorkeling! Good luck!

I am a huge fan of Corona. We only buy a few cokes, which we would have anyway, and enjoy the snorkeling and low crowds. Usually only 15-20 people or so. Been 2 years since but we are going in late Jan. Great snorkeling if you head to your right. Have a great time regardless.

The "Money Bar" at Dzul Ha just South of the "town" is your best bet if you have your own gear. My Wife & I (65 yrs old) go there every time we're in Cozumel (will be there last week in Jan 2011 on Celebrity) and all you need is an $8 taxi from town or ship pier to get there. They rent lockers with a nice rusty lock & key for $2 where you can store all your stuff safely while out in the water. And last time we went it was cloudy (no sun!) and the view and fish were just spectacular... clearest water I've ever seen at that location with an aquarium-amount of beautifully varied & colorful fish! We swam out a little ways and found ourselves next to a big Catamaran with about 30 snorkelers who paid at least $35 per person to be in the same place the two of us were for only a cab ride and $2. There's a ladder you can climb down into the water from a cement pier at the Bar or you can walk in a little to the right of the Money Bar, although it can get a little "wavy" there since you're walking in from a beach. They don't mind if you snorkel there and after you're finished you can sit on their deck right next to the water and have a snack or drink. Great place. Best in Cozumel in our opinion and you DON'T have to spend money for the best snorkeling in the World!

That's a great question and others are thinking the same thing. When we were ready to leave we walked back up to the road and there were 3 cabs waiting to take passengers back. If no cabs are waiting the staff will call for one.

It would be a long walk maybe 3-5 miles depending on what pier your ship is at.

No snorkeling, but this was our solution, which worked out well:

Cozumel was better than I remembered. TIP: VISIT THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE ISLAND. My god, it is beautiful over there. And wayyyyyyyyy more deserted. Miles and miles of beautiful rock formations going to the sea, with the occasional pretty beach. On the land side...scrub, just scrub, MILES of scrub, with no development at all. WILD. I never knew part of Cozumel was wild. It was so pretty.

So the first thing we did was rent a car and drive the entire circle. We stopped and looked at the west side resorts, then saw the east side. I wanted to just stay on the east side after lunch, but kids wanted to visit Paradise Beach with the bouncy toys in the water. Mistake...more later. We lunched in San Miguel (Americanized Mexican at some nameless place, but my fish tacos were very good). Then on to Paradise Beach.

God what a mass-marketed pos Paradise Beach is. Absolutely no snorkeling in the area (though they say snorkeling on their website). Literally thousands of people. Paid $20 for a bottle of sunscreen (stupid me forgot ours) and $12 for each of my kids' wristband to climb on the toys. By and large, though, the toys are designed for athletic teenagers to get on...smaller kids or fatter old people have about as much shot at winning the lottery as climbing their "ice mountain". We all hated it and left in less than an hour.

And went to the east side, where we found an actual beach, with ACTUAL SURF (lovvvvvvvvved it, me & DS spent an hour body-surfing) and we. Were. Completely. Alone. ALONE. On a beautiful beach. On a hot day. It was amazing.

Please do not waste your money on the resorts. Go to the east side, there are plenty of beautiful deserted beaches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Deltahog

How is the road condition in Cozumel? Is it safe and easy to drive around? I will be there in about a week and love to rent a car and discover the east side of the island. where do you rent the car from? I was in Cuzmel about 10 years ago and don't remember anything about it.

Thanks.

In case deltahog doesn't reply, here's my observations:

We were in Coz 2 weeks ago. Didn't rent a car, because I'm a little chicken, and our taxi driver was a maniac! I'm glad I wasn't in a car next to him. That said, if you're not easily intimidated, you're probably fine. Only issue is that if you have an accident, you'll probably pay, up front, unless you get all of the insurance coverage. And you're considered guilty until proven innocent, when it comes to fault.

Roads: There was a lot of construction along the southern part of San Miguel on the main road. Other than that, the roads looked pretty good. The stretch from the construction at San Miguel to Punta Sur was in excellent condition, but we didn't get to the east side. Oh, and there are a LOT of smaller vehicles on the road now, especially scooters and 3-wheelers, especially between Chankanaab and San Miguel.

Beaches: I keep reading warnings about beaches on the east side. There is apparently one fairly protected, reasonably safe sand beach there, near the road that cuts across from San Miguel, but many areas on the "wild side" have a LOT of surf and undertow. Be careful, especially if you have smaller kids. But almost everyone who has gone to the east side raves about how beautiful it is. Our visit to Punta Sur offered a taste of the beauty.

If you opt to NOT rent a car, check with the "wrangler" at the cab stand about a private tour, especially if there are 4 or more of you traveling together. We had a van for 4 of us and paid $80 for about 2 1/2 hours.

Archived