Holland America ms Zaandam??

suey

I have sailed with HAL on the Volendam 3 times now and enjoyed it. It seems to depend on the staff onboard as to what activities and how many are running. They did have trivia and bingo. Trivia was held at least once a day and sometimes twice but not enough for me! I didn't like their bingo, it is expensive and not fun like the P&O one usually is, you can't use a dabber either, it is like a punch card.

The Volendam is the same class ship as the Zaandam so I imagine the deck plans are similar. I liked the layout of the Volendam and it was a good size for the number of people. One of my favourite things is the wraparound deck that has deckchairs for enjoying the sea.

Just wondering if anyone has cruised Holland America especially ms Zaandam, looking at a cruise at end of next year? Do they have daytime activities on board like trivia, bingo, etc:)

we did 25 days on HAL Rotterdam a couple of years back. zaandam is very similar to Rotterdam in layout and still has the lovely stern pool that was sadly taken out during Rotterdam's refurb and replaced with the retreat that includes a ridiculous ankle depth relaxation pool (aka kids paddling pool).

Yes, they have trivia and bingo. they also had a scavenger hunt. but the activities pretty much stopped there. the HAL crowd is a much older demographic than just about anyone else and everything is at a very sedate pace. there's no crazy poolside activities, in fact, in 25 days they had the grand total of one activity in the stern pool and one in the lido pool.

saying all that we loved our HAL experience. the food was by far the best of the four cruises we have taken. the staff are gracious. the ships are tasteful and restrained.

the following link takes you to a website one of the HAL board regulars has created that shows photos of each HAL ship

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zaandam/index.html

pete

Just wondering if anyone has cruised Holland America especially ms Zaandam, looking at a cruise at end of next year? Do they have daytime activities on board like trivia, bingo, etc:)

Hi Suey, we have sailed on Ryndham and loved it. So much so we have 2 more Holland America cruises booked (see signature). Some people who travel Holland America like to think they are a cut above the other cruise lines but really a cruise is what you make it. On the Ryndham (which was an Alaskian cruise), of the 1200+ passengers, 380 were Australians/New Zealanders so we did not feel much difference in atmosphere.

Enjoy

Diane

Archived