Prinsendam Questions

ilovhywd

Hi! It's been two years since we've read the HAL board, and we have a few questions about the Prinsendam. We are considering the Prinsendam for our 6th HAL cruise.

1. Although the ship was renovated and refurnished in January, 2010, some recent reviews on this website have some very negative comments about the condition of the ship. How can this be?

2. What are the major differences we would notice about the Prinsendam other than the smaller size of the ship and the fewer fnumber of passengers?

3. Do you think the Prinsendam's passengers are, in general, older than on the newer ships? What would be the average age?

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts on the above. Thanks!

Although the ship was renovated and refurnished in January, 2010, some recent reviews on this website have some very negative comments about the condition of the ship. How can this be?

I don't know how this can be either. My wife and I were on the Prinsendam in May of this year for a three week transatlantic cruise (our third on the P-dam) and it was wonderful as always. The service was still the best in the fleet.

What are the major differences we would notice about the Prinsendam other than the smaller size of the ship and the fewer fnumber of passengers?

As noted above, the service on the Prinsendam is much better than the rest of the fleet. The fact that there are fewer passengers I'm sure has a lot to do with this.

Do you think the Prinsendam's passengers are, in general, older than on the newer ships? What would be the average age?

The age of the passengers are generally older because the cruises are generally longer. Retired folks, such as I, can be away from home for longer than most. Our cruise this spring at three weeks was the shortest of our Prinsendam cruises. As to the average age - probably early 60s, although I'm a poor judge of ages.

I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Your neighbor in Boca Raton,

We were on the Prinsendam for over 3 weeks this past summer. We LOVED her. DH would be quite happy if we don't sail any other ship in the HAL fleet again - other than the Prinsendam.

As to the age - I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the average age. :o I still have a ways to go until I reach 60, but the other passengers didn't strike me as having at lot of 70+ or under 35. I do remember DH and I commenting about how there weren't passengers with walkers and/or scooters. There were maybe one of each on our sailing. I do know that Club HAL was open due to the number of kids on board. So there had to be parents with kids in the 6-16 age group.

While we lover her, she isn't for everyone. The Prinsendam is aptly known as the Elegant Explorer. If someone wants glitz and glam - there are other ships in the sea. ;)

I just completed a three week cruise, which included crossing the Atlantic, on the Prinsendam. It was my second cruise on the ship and I chose it because my previous experience (2009) was so memorable. If I could make every HAL cruise on this ship, I would. I am a solo traveler.

IMHO, it is a much older crowd than other HAL ships -- I believe because the itineraries and the length of the cruises. I turn 60 this month and considered myself to be one of the 'youngsters' on the ship.

That said, the passengers, while older, are clearly full of adventure and many are well-traveled with remarkable experiences to share.

The Cruise Director (Thom Faulkner) - who is without question one of the best I have ever seen - stated that 70% of those on the ship this cruise have sailed it before. He actually used the word recidivism to describe the behavior. There has to be a reason.

In fact, there were at least 4 people on the ship with whom I had sailed last year.

All HAL staff are wonderful, but the size of the ship means the front desk knows your name; Gil, the Crow's Nest bartender, definitely remembers as well. And they may even remember you from your previous cruise.

Some said the ship was a bit worn. I guess that could be the case, but I didn't expect a brand new look. Also, I consider the fact the ship is in constant use. While we were on board, they varnished some hand rails and replaced some carpeting, probably a part of the on going maintenance and upkeep.

The fixed seating is a small room while the As You Wish is the larger room.

They have the largest library of any cruise ship (4,000 books). There is always a bridge instructor and duplicate bridge if you like to play. The officers and other staff at that level dine in the Lido and MDR - offering the opportunity to talk with them.

The only 'issue' on the ship that I can comment on were the newly added cabins in deck 8, aft (the fact they added 35 cabins clearly means it is a popular ship). Some of those in the cabins stated they were poorly insulated and one could hear conversation from the hallway. However, I visited one of the new inside cabins and it was spectacular, the size and appointments are much better than the older inside cabins.

If you are looking for glitz and the latest form of entertainment, that isn't the Prinsendam.

It is often more expensive than the others, unless you book at the very last minute. But is much more cozy. I highly recommend this ship.

Miriam

p.s. The laundry room is free.

p.p.s. And there was a very large Roll Call gather of Cruise Critic members.

Here is my review of the Prinsendam this summer. It addresses the issue of the condition of the ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1244046

As I have said in a recent thread, if you are a person who is hypervigilant about small imperfections, the Prinsendam might not be the ship for you. She is not a new vessel, and, yes, there are indications, here and there, that she has been a world traveller for many years. For me, this isn't an issue.

A number of years ago, we were house hunting. We looked at houses in new developments, and we looked at houses in established neighborhoods. Sure, there were many things to like about the new houses: extra convienences, everything perfectly in order, etc. But, we also found we liked qualities about the houses in older neighborhoods: the mature trees, the uniqueness of the floor plans, etc.

You could look at going on the Prinsendam in that light too, I think. If you know enough about yourself to *know* that you would always prefer that brand new house, because your eye immediately travels to any and all imperfections, I'd say that you'd be better off travelling on a different ship. The Prinsendam is not new. But, if you are a person who can walk into an Arts and Crafts home, or a Victorian home, and love the style for what it is, in spite of an imperfection or two because of its age, then you will love the Prinsendam.

2. Because the ship is smaller, there are fewer of the spaces dedicated to specific activities than other ships: no rock climbing walls, no ice rinks. The public areas are smaller than on most ships, with the exception of the library, which is huge (and I loved). The gym and pools, for instance, are not large. The entertainment venue is small, and there are not as many options for nighttime entertainment.

IME, however, this smallness created a more familial environment than what I had experienced on most ships. Part of that was that we had a fairly active roll call, and so I got to know a lot of people that way, but that was not the only thing. Many of us who used the library regularly got to know one another. By five days into the cruise, I couldn't walk 20 feet without running into someone I knew, and, for me, this was a huge plus. I liked feeling connected to the other passengers.

3. I spoke to a couple of staff members about this, and apparently there is a WIDE diversity of ages, depending on the particular dates/itinerary. While it is true that, as a rule, HAL passengers are older than some other cruise lines, within that, there is a goodly amount of variation from cruise to cruise. On our particular cruise, I would guess the median age to be in the mid to upper fifties. We had a fair number of kids (we went over the summer), and a lot of people in their 50's. (I was 49 at the time, my husband 54 and my son, 20.)

However, according to the staff members I spoke to, the leg of the trip not JUST before us, but the one before, had a high percentage of much older and infirm people. I would guess this leg occurred starting in early to mid-June when either school has just let out, or is not yet out, in many areas. If you are looking for a "younger" crowd, you might want to schedule your Prinsendam cruise in the middle of the summer, when kids and their parents will be joining you. My guess is that, if you go during the school year, the average age of the passengers would be more in their late 60's and 70's.

That said, I don't think you should necessarily let that worry you. One of our favorite people, with whom we shared four excursions, was a delightful lady in her 60's. Other favorite passengers were easily in their seventies, on the ship for their 50th wedding anniversary, so.... please don't assume that "more advanced age" = anything bad. Many of the Prinsendam's passengers are people who are extremely well travelled, have exhausted the "traditional" itineraries, and who make incredibly interesting travel companions.

All HAL staff are wonderful, but the size of the ship means the front desk knows your name; Gil, the Crow's Nest bartender, definitely remembers as well. And they may even remember you from your previous cruise.

I'm so glad you mentioned Gil! My husband took the bartending classes, and Gil was one of his favorite people on the ship. Definitely a wonderful guy!

We never thought that we would receive so many responses and in such detail! You'all really took the time to describe the atmosphere on the ship, and we are just thrilled with your positive comments. We are willing to overlook a little wear and tear in order to have this kind of cruise experience.

Can anybody comment on the accommodations in the SY category on the Verandah Deck? Does this category have access to the Neptune Lounge? Is their a noise or vibration issue with the cabins to the aft of center ship on the Verandah Deck?

Thanks again!

Sorry, the Superior Suites on HAL ships don't have Neptune Lounge access, that is only for the Deluxe and Penthouse Suites.

I can't help on the vibration information for those cabins. I get seasick, so we now book cabins low and mid-ships. However, I didn't notice any abnormal vibration anywhere on the ship.

We never thought that we would receive so many responses and in such detail! You'all really took the time to describe the atmosphere on the ship, and we are just thrilled with your positive comments. We are willing to overlook a little wear and tear in order to have this kind of cruise experience.

Can anybody comment on the accommodations in the SY category on the Verandah Deck? Does this category have access to the Neptune Lounge? Is their a noise or vibration issue with the cabins to the aft of center ship on the Verandah Deck?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure where, specifically, those cabins are, but, as I said in my review, I would avoid the new cabins that were put on during the retrofit. There is much vibration there.

Archived