Getting Around Cozumel

cbtengwife

Need tips on getting around in Cozumel. DH and I are wanting to go to the Money Bar. Looking at map it doesn't look too far from the Carnival Pier, it is within walking distance? or would it be best to take taxi?

I'm not familiar with that bar but I would go downtown and do the things there and get your cab coming back to drop you off at that bar...And then if you want to walk back from there you could better guage your distance....Dennis

We were in Cozumel two weeks ago. There are "official" taxis with a list of posted prices to various tourist places, but right in front of them are "other" taxis where the drivers will negotiate with you.

We had planned on going to Paradise Beach. The "other" taxi guys offered to take our group at a "discount rate" of $11/person for eight people. That's $88! Knowing that an "official" taxi van would cost us $26 total, we declined. However, some other people who didn't realize that this was going on were easily agreeing to the fees.

We rented a Jeep all day for $40 from Thrifty about a block from the pier.

We have been to Cozumel twice and rented a Jeep both times. We loved it! We saw the island on our time and stayed as long as we wanted at various places. We will definitely do that again!

rent a jeep............easy.............take a cab

Our jeep rental was more like 70 bucks w/ insurance and liability. Wouldn't reccomend driving around in Mexico without insurance

To add.....

We always rent a jeep if visiting COZ by ship or staying at an AI......If you search hard enough for promos and discount codes you can get a jeep for approx. $50.00 per day w/ full insurance (which I highly recommend too !) from Avis, Hertz or Budget/Dollar. Just pay on cash at end to avoid C.Card international charges.

Need tips on getting around in Cozumel. DH and I are wanting to go to the Money Bar. Looking at map it doesn't look too far from the Carnival Pier, it is within walking distance? or would it be best to take taxi?

I have been hit with damages to several rent cars in Cozumel, so we just take taxis. The rates have been predetermined and are by CAR not by passenger. Here is the latest list, and always agree on the price before getting in the cab so you are not REALLY taken for a ride! http://www.puertamaya.com/port-information/taxi-rate-information.aspx.

BTW: Sometimes as I am about to get a cab, I ask people around us if they would like to share a cab back to the ship and mention "Conquest". That cuts the fare in half and makes for an interesting ride back to the ship.

I have been hit with damages to several rent cars in Cozumel, so we just take taxis.

though this has not happened to me, I have heard stories of people that rented cars in Mexico and didn't get the insurance, or got it with a high deductible, getting the car back to the rental place, finding out the car was mysteriously "damaged" :rolleyes: only to be told pay $XXXX.XX now or we'll call the police :eek:.

People need to be aware that the driving/accident laws in Mexico are not the same as US. If you are involved in an accident, WHETHER IT IS YOUR FAULT OR NOT, both parties are taken to the courthouse where you must go before a judge to determine fault and monetary amount of damages and if you owe anything, YOU MUST PAY RIGHT THEN!

Ship leaves in an hour and it wasn't your fault? tough

Ship leaves in an hour and you're told the judge won't be back til tomorrow? tough

It's not worth it. And yes, I have rented cars three times in Cozumel, but never again, after I found all this out.

I have been hit with damages to several rent cars in Cozumel, so we just take taxis.

That's terrible! We have never had that problem. When we rent a Jeep, we always walk around the vehicle with the associate and point out damage, if any. The only damage we have ever found was a couple of minor scratches on the finder and pointed them out to the associate. He noted it on our paperwork and we were on our way.

though this has not happened to me, I have heard stories of people that rented cars in Mexico and didn't get the insurance, or got it with a high deductible, getting the car back to the rental place, finding out the car was mysteriously "damaged" :rolleyes: only to be told pay $XXXX.XX now or we'll call the police

That's why we always purchase the insurance. ;)

We have only rented with Avis and never had any issues.

One thing left out of this discussion is that you might be docking in one of two places. This week in Cozumel, I was on the Triumph and we docked downtown, so we just walked into town and back to the ship at the end of the day. The Ecstasy was also docked with us downtown.

I could see two other Carnival ships (not sure which) docked at the other pier outside of town. I docked at that other pier when was there in May on Legend and definitely needed a cab to get to town from there.

Cabs are plentiful in Cozumel. I've been to the island many times and never been ripped off by a cab driver there. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the vast majority of those guys are honest.

That's terrible! We have never had that problem. When we rent a Jeep, we always walk around the vehicle with the associate and point out damage, if any. The only damage we have ever found was a couple of minor scratches on the finder and pointed them out to the associate. He noted it on our paperwork and we were on our way.

That's why we always purchase the insurance. ;)

We have only rented with Avis and never had any issues.

Being a seasoned road warrior for my job, I have always checked out any rental vehicle before signing the contract. Even with this step, you cannot prevent fabricated charges from being alleged. What was I to do, especially with my ship leaving in an hour? I got "hard" and wrote all over their contract that no damaged were received on the car whilst in my possession. It was much aggravation, but Amex stood behind me and after lots of back and forth between all parties had it removed.

My advice, there are scams everywhere for trusting tourists. It may take some effort, but if you stick to your principle you can get the trumped damages removed. This has happened more than once, and I just developed my "hard" edge.

Archived