Cake Decorations

Do you think it would be too much to ask for them to put butterflies on the cake? I really like this look, but don't want to ask for too much. I was told the chef will decorate it if I bring what I want... but I am wondering if this is going to far....

http://cache.fancyflours.com/fancyflours/images/large/3601-WP-BCS-1.jpg

Do you think it would be too much to ask for them to put butterflies on the cake? I really like this look, but don't want to ask for too much. I was told the chef will decorate it if I bring what I want... but I am wondering if this is going to far....

http://cache.fancyflours.com/fancyflours/images/large/3601-WP-BCS-1.jpg

Are you order a cake with that many tiers?

I would think for a shorter cake it would look to overwhelming, but it's YOUR day so you do what you want?

Just realize it will be one more thing you will have to remember to bring/carry on the ship.

We ordered a small cake topper to add some 'color' to the white cake the provide and it also coordinates with our bouquets, so I do feel your need to 'add' your own flair to your event. I say 'go for it!'.

I don't know how many people are coming so I don't know how big the cake will be... but... I don't necessarily need ALL those butterflies, either. I just think want a similar look.... (today... tomorrow I might want something completely different... )

Here's another one...

http://pics.boards.weddingbee.com/172410.64675_1644323995050_1445375233_3176909.jpg

I don't know how many people are coming so I don't know how big the cake will be... but... I don't necessarily need ALL those butterflies, either. I just think want a similar look.... (today... tomorrow I might want something completely different... )

Here's another one...

http://pics.boards.weddingbee.com/172410.64675_1644323995050_1445375233_3176909.jpg

Oh yes we know CHANGES!!!

Ideas come and go...:cool: lol

Honestly, I love this one.

It's very cute and doesn't overwhelm the cake.

How many guest did you invite?

I know they usually do a one tier if it's just the couple and less than 25 people. I think anything over that you have to pay extra for a two tier. This is with NCL. (What ship are you on again?)

Have you set a 'must make a final choose by date' ?!?! lol

A "final choose by" date? What's that?

I just booked it on Monday. I have started an invitation list and I am just getting addresses for the save the date cards and telling people about it. So far there are exactly 50 people on my list but I know I am forgetting folks. Of those 50 I know there are some who definitely can't make it and I am only counting the actual people who I will be inviting not guests so far. As far as what I can tell from the paperwork (but I could be wrong), there isn't an extra charge for a larger cake but there is a per person fee of $22 for each person over the first 20.

This is what it says about the cake:

The Wedding Package you purchased includes a Tiered Wedding Cake & Cake Topper, which will serve your total guest count.

Two Tiered Cakes* provided for up to 50 guests, Three Tiered Cakes provided for guest counts 51-75, Four Tiered Cakes provided for guest counts 76-150. (*Just for the Bride & Groom Package includes a small Two-Tiered Cake for 8).

A "final choose by" date? What's that?

That's just a date you are giving yourself to make final decision about things such as what you mentioned; whether or not you will d butterflies or something else. It was a semi-joke, but also a way for me to organize myself and stop going from this, to this, to that! lol

With NCL we can have a 1 tier cake for up to 25 guest at $5.50 per person. If we have over 25 guest we'd have to order a 2 tier cake for $6.00 per person. If it were just us the brochure says we would get a 'beautiful white wedding cake for the couple', whatever that means! :rolleyes:

We have a guest list of 62 people, with only 5 guest booked. I don't think all 62 will attend, but at least 30 I am sure will show. My biggest dilemma right now is whether or not to pay $300 for a DJ for one hour. :o

That's just a date you are giving yourself to make final decision about things such as what you mentioned; whether or not you will d butterflies or something else.

Well... I have to have the cake form in to Carnival 4 weeks before the sail date... and the butterflies have to be ordered about the same time... sooooo... August sounds about right... but seriously, I am in grad school and have been focusing way too much on this wedding planning stuff already, so I think I want to have those decisions firmed up by February.

My biggest dilemma right now is whether or not to pay $300 for a DJ for one hour. :o

Can you bring your own music? $300 for one hour seems really ridiculous. There is a DJ in my town who I contacted about DJing a potential party after we get back. He quoted $300 for 5 hours... Will $300 worth of dancing take place in an hour in the afternoon? Its a tough one I know...

I really want music BUT I really don't want the lighted neon dance floor with the hands or feet or whatever they are when there are prettier places all over the ship.

Can you bring your own music?

Yes; we can bring our own music but whether it's an Ipod or CDs we still have to pay $100 to the sound technician to play it since no one else is allowed to touch their equipment. It's pretty outrages to me, but their rules are their rules.

I'm also on the fence about the music right now! they want $200 for someone to put the CD in the machine and press play... I will have the CD with songs in the order I want them to play... I can put it in myself I’m sure but they won’t let me of course. Maybe just bringing the ipod docking station and using that... $200 seems a bit outrageous for such little service!! Then adding a microphone is more...PLUS! PLUS! PLUS!! $$$

I'm also on the fence about the music right now! they want $200 for someone to put the CD in the machine and press play... I will have the CD with songs in the order I want them to play... I can put it in myself I’m sure but they won’t let me of course. Maybe just bringing the ipod docking station and using that... $200 seems a bit outrageous for such little service!! Then adding a microphone is more...PLUS! PLUS! PLUS!! $$$

If you bring your own stuff let us know how it works out. That is really the option I am thinking about. I have some pretty decent portable ipod speakers that I use when I do some trainings and everyone in the room can hear the music - they sound clear and loud. I am sure the professional equipment would sound better but it doesn't even seem to be an option for me. The DJ in the neon looking club will only play original CDs if I bring them - not burned ones or and iPod otherwise it's Top 40... and that's not even close to what I want.

wheresmypopcorn...i know you mentioned about having to order the butterflies...so i'm not sure the specifics of the ones your ordering? are they edible? or just decorations to add to the cake?

the reason i ask...is because i was at michaels last night and they had a bunch of those glittery butterflies (HALF OFF). i think they were a part of their christmas decorations? guessing since they were so cheap. anyways, it might be worth checking out? they were literally 1.50 each! and they had some smaller ones 2 or 3/pack for 1.50 each!

i thought of this post & the picture of the cake with butterflies as soon as i saw them at michaels! hope this helps!

Heather, Thanks so much! I am going to go look at Michaels. There were both edible and plastic-y ones on etsy and other sites. I was heading towards edible but that will involve work for me to do (or find someone else to do) the night before the wedding in the hotel because they have to be opened and sprayed with oil and other such nonsense... so I think the plasticy ones might be a better bet. I really really appreciate your help!!

love the butterflies!

I'm taking along a sparkly "P" to replace the 80's white cake topper they provide. I'm also hoping they will use the dark pink organza overlay I have for the table! I want SOME color - considering the cake is white, linens are white, etc. Ugh!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived