Maxim's de Paris

swdke

Can anyone tell me about Maxim's? I thought it was a restaurant, but the web site indicates something about a cabarat show. I assume this is might be an expensive place, can anyone share just how expensive. Has anyone been there and share their experiences? Thanks.

Steve,

I go to Paris about 2 times a year and have never been to Maxim's, though I went to the one here in NYC a few times. (though it closed a couple of years ago).

I looked Maxim's up in my Paris Zagat guide and it says: (i'm paraphrasing)

112 years old and perhaps past it's prime, it's still a Grande Dame and a special place for surprisingly good classic french cuisine. It's something that everyone should experience at least once and on Friday nights the place is transformed into "an exotic club".

Ratings are as follows (30 is the highest)

Food: 20

Service: 22

Decor:21

Cost average per person: 85 Euros

Hope this helps.

Are you looking for an exceptional dining experience or a cabarat show?

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your information. I don't think I am necessarily into expectional dining experiences as in thost that might be expensive. Just something fun, unique, or typically Parisian. I am also curious about what might be a good cabaret show too. But as for Maxim's I was mostly curious what this place was about. The web site was not too clear, at least not for me, but the pictures of the inside look like fun.

You might also then want to look at the Crazy Horse show.

However, Parisians typically aren't into big "shows". You might want to see what's on at the Paris Opera when you're there. Plays are out unless you speak french.

Parisians love to linger over dinners all night long and discuss current topics. They also love american jazz and there are many jazz clubs. There are some on rue Gregoire de Tours in the 6th.

We always eat out at a top restaurent each time we go to Paris. We have eaten at La Tour D'Argent, Le Jules Verne, Le Grand Vefour and Taillevent. All of these serve wonderful food with marvellous attention to detail. You feel like a Queen when you have a meal with this service and attention.

If it were me, and you have never been to Paris before, I would choose Le Jules Verne which is in one of the legs of the Eiffel Tower. The view from the windows of the restaurant are wonderful, especially at night.

We always book at least 6 months in advance and I book directly with restaurant. I would ask for a window seat if you decide to go to Le Jules Verne. We have always been given wonderful seats in each of these restaurant. I am not sure whether it is because we do book early or if we are Aussies as the French do like us and we have always been surprised when we are shown to our seats.

None of the restaurants are cheap and you will spend quite a few dollars dining there but the experience is worth it. We do appreciate good food and good wine and we have fond memories of each of these restaurants.

Jennie

Comodore and Aussie Girl,

Steve said he was *not* interested in high dining experiences, but rather doing something different, such as a show or caberet.

However, if he were, I'd send him to L'Astrance or Guy Savoy or Taillevent.

La Jules Verne is a good suggestion because of the view.

La Tour D'Argent, like Maxim's, is an institution that though worth going to once, is not the place it used to be. If one has limited funds to spend on the "big" dinner, I'd skip La Tour.

Jane

Okay, if Steve is not interested in good dining why not go to the "Moulin Rouge" in Montmartre which is so very French, a bit tacky but at least you will have seen the Can Can.

It is very popular and the dancers now are mostly Australian girls. I haven't been but then that sort of thing is not what we enjoy.

Jennie

Aussie Girl,

I agree with you. I've lost count as to how many times I've been to Paris and I've yet to go to a show like the Crazy Horse, Maxim's or the Moulin Rouge. Just not my thing either. But hey, it's *his* trip......

Archived