Take the bus to the beaches

rainforestgirl

Hi Maggie, it's really easy, off the ship, walk straight ahead out of the port, at the top when you reach the road, turn right, walk 50 yards, cross the road and the bus station is there. I think the bus is number 10, with 'Hotels' on the front.

Terry

We are going to Aruba in April- I have been trying to find bus info, so this is very helpful. If you take #10 to the "beach" does this mean any of the beaches? We are looking to go to Eagle Beach. Also, is the bus stop there with a schedule so we would know what time they are coming back? We get into port at 1:00 and want to hit the beach and then go back to Orjenstad in the evening. Also- it sounds like the bus station is within walking distance to the Ship port - is that right? Thanks again!

The #10 bus Line 10 "Oranjestad to Hotels" (and back)

runs from Oranjestad past the low rise Eagle Beach hotels, high rise Palm beach hotels and beyond northward turning around at Arashi beach.

It is a straight walk from the cruise terminal to the bus station.

Ask the bus driver when you get on about the pick up time. How long it takes the bus depends on how many stops the bus makes. You won't notice the time much because you'll be looking at the beach as you coast along. Real rough, it is about 30 minutes from one end of the line to the other.

Buses take USD, but drivers appreciate exact change. If memory serves me correct it is $2.30 round trip. Purchase the round trip ticket upon boarding.

Just back it was 2.30 US Rt per person . Went early and the locals were not only helpful they gave us their business cards if we needed any help on island .

We went to Boca Catalina and the snorkeling was Excellent , we were there about an hour when the excursion boats showed up . We brought our own drinks and snacks so we spent under $5 for 4 or 5 hours of great snorkeling , wonder what the snorkel excursions charge ? I told my wife we have to stop spending money like this lol ! Thanks Arubalisa , you helped make the PERFECT

day !!! Ted

• Do they rent chairs and umbrellas at Boca Catalina ?

• Is there a place, maybe lockers, to store valuables when snorkeling?

We took the bus back from Eagle Beach in December and it was great. Cheap, clean, and we felt very safe. We were initially going to take a cab back, but one of the locals that rented out the chairs told us to take the bus instead and it was good advice.

I'm going to recommend buying a one-way bus ticket to Palm Beach for $1.30 rather than spending $2.30 for round trip. We bought round trip on our visit on the Millenium last week. When we went to the bus stop to catch the bus for the return a bus-van stopped and told us we had to wait for the big bus to use our return pass. We waited a few minutes and another bus-van stopped. Not knowing when the regular bus would come and wanting to get back to the ship, we just paid the $1.25 fare and wasted our return ticket.

What about those mini bus guys?

They seem to be just "gypsy" buses and not authorized or sanctioned by ARUBUS. To me if there's a problem on one of these mini buses it's not going to be addresses as well as it would be on the ARUBUS. It's probably just my cynical side but I don't trust unauthorized service providers acting like they're the same as ARUBUS.

What about anyone else?

Have you had problems with the "gypsy" buses?

We used the bus again when we were in Aruba last week. So easy. Walk down the sidewalk from the ship that says "town" At the street just look kitty-corner to your right. You'll see the bus "station" right behind the building on the road. I think #10 is the bus you can see first. There are 2 #10 busses, 10 and 10A. Both go to the beaches. The only difference is where they end. One ends at Boca Catalina and one ends at Arashi. We went to Boca Catalina both times. The return bus is just after the hour - we got on at 2:15 or 2:20 I think.

I did notice that the sand was eroded in certain areas at Boca Catalina - but it just made it look different - not better or worse.

The only "services" at Boca Catalina are palapas for shade. No food, chairs, bathroom or lockers. What you get is a quiet, beautiful beach with great snorkeling.

Mini buses are great. T hey stop where the local busses stop but do not give you a return ticket. It is 1.40 each way and is totally safe, sometimes faster than the big bus. We stayed 1 month in aruba and never needed a car at all.

• 1 month later...

We have a large CC Group going to Aruba in January. Quite a few of us plan to spend the afternoon at Palm beach. While the local Buses and taxis are resonable it is quite difficult to keep a large group together. My guess is we would have a minimum of 40 people.

Has anyone used the Banana Bus or Kukoo Kunuku to provide transportation or set up a Mini Tour???

We just got back from a cruise and thought the public bus system in Aruba was great. Located just a few short blocks from the dock, it was cheap ( about $2.30 round trip) and quick to all the beaches (Eagle, Palm, and Fisherman's Huts). Bus runs every 20-30 mins. And the drivers were very helpful if you asked them for help (like when do I get off!).

We've had the same experience each time we've gone to Aruba. Love the bus system there.

Note: The buses can be buses, small bus type vehicles, or vans. It's not always the same type of vehicle that stops at the bus stops.

Archived