How to afford a World Cruise

DAllenTCY

Today I ran into "Dolly". She was soaking wet, but in her normal good humor. Tomorrow she will be reboarding the MS Amsterdam in Long Beach for 136 days. The only reason she wasn't on it is because she had to get off for its drydock. She told me that she took a tour of San Diego yesterday. The city tour was listed as $34. The all day pass on Metropolitan Transit is $5.

So she spent 7 hours yesterday going around the city using public transit.

David

P.S. She told me she has more than 6,000 sea days on HAL.

Today I ran into "Dolly". She was soaking wet, but in her normal good humor. Tomorrow she will be reboarding the MS Amsterdam in Long Beach for 136 days. The only reason she wasn't on it is because she had to get off for its drydock. She told me that she took a tour of San Diego yesterday. The city tour was listed as $34. The all day pass on Metropolitan Transit is $5.

So she spent 7 hours yesterday going around the city using public transit.

David

P.S. She told me she has more than 6,000 sea days on HAL.

My wife and i have sailed with Dolly for approx 10 years. She is an amazing lady, I wish all who read this the same sprite and joy she exudes. We are so glad we will get to spend ourt World Cruise with her. Happy Sailing Alsas

Restating the obvious here but something I had not previously fully considered: The costs of the lengthy cruise, while high at face value, are just one part of the overall cost equation.

The money "saved" while you are away from home during the long cruises and the income that still comes in regardless while you are gone during that time helps underwrite the ultimate final costs of the long cruise itself.

(Okay, I know this was obvious but it took me a while to really understand this and I still blanche when I see the world cruise costs. :rolleyes:)

So this obviously works better after retirement when regular income checks still come in whether one is working or not, and typically homes are paid for so most ongoing monthly expenses that are the discretionary ones for food, shopping and entertainment that are now included in the total price of the cruise.

(Well, duh. :o)

I met Dolly today .. at 3 am. She was sitting in the Queen Mary Hotel (literarily next to the Long Beach Cruise Terminal). Interesting lady. She left at 7 am to watch the Amsterdam come in .. it is 9 am now, still raining and the ship isn't in yet. I hope someone let her into the cruise terminal at least.

Archived