Carnival Miracle or RCCL Explorer of the Seas from NY/NJ?

vega

Hubby and I are looking into a cruise in June from NY/NJ and are trying to decide between Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas and Carnival Miracle. We've cruised ten times and love RCCL! Our almost four year old son will be going with us and I'm concerned about him getting restless with four sea days. I know he'll have a blast on Explorer but the itinerary isn't as good as the Miracle, the price is a lot higher, and I know Carnival's food is better... Any advice? Any personal experiences aboard the Explorer? The ship is ten years old - does it look it? Feel like it? What can we do in San Juan, as I feel that's one of the islands where we may not even get off the ship!? And vice versa, any experiences on the Carnival Miracle with small kids, who may not want to partake in Camp Carnival? What did you do with them on sea days? Also, how were the ports of call - Nassua, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay?

Thanks,

Lana

Hubby and I are looking into a cruise in June from NY/NJ and are trying to decide between Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas and Carnival Miracle. We've cruised ten times and love RCCL! Our almost four year old son will be going with us and I'm concerned about him getting restless with four sea days. I know he'll have a blast on Explorer but the itinerary isn't as good as the Miracle, the price is a lot higher, and I know Carnival's food is better... Any advice? Any personal experiences aboard the Explorer? The ship is ten years old - does it look it? Feel like it? What can we do in San Juan, as I feel that's one of the islands where we may not even get off the ship!? And vice versa, any experiences on the Carnival Miracle with small kids, who may not want to partake in Camp Carnival? What did you do with them on sea days? Also, how were the ports of call - Nassua, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay?

Thanks,

Lana

People I meet on cruises who are not on CC are amazed that some people think this .. and state this as if its a fact .. not a opinion. I tell them that on CC people say this all the time .. they are like .. no way!!! Im sorry, but I dont share your opinion about food, as I was very happy with my RCL food on my last B2B and the SF flavored waters, were a nice treat, since I dont care for iced tea.

I would choose whichever is cheaper myself on a per day basis .. but would pay slightly more for RCL.

People I meet on cruises who are not on CC are amazed that some people think this .. and state this as if its a fact .. not a opinion. I tell them that on CC people say this all the time .. they are like .. no way!!! Im sorry, but I dont share your opinion about food, as I was very happy with my RCL food on my last B2B and the SF flavored waters, were a nice treat, since I dont care for iced tea.

I would choose whichever is cheaper myself on a per day basis .. but would pay slightly more for RCL.

3 times on RCCL, and I merely put up with their food. Not their strong suit, all IMO.

And certainly don't like having to pay for ice cream, or a decent burger.

But I certainly didn't starve.

Have you cruised on the ExOS?

We did the Miracle out of NY in May and will be repeat offenders again in May;) This will be our 7th Carnival cruise and we've loved every one...therefore we haven't felt the need yet to try other lines. So I cannot compare the 2 for you.

Most kids (especially on the younger side) love Camp Carnival, so hopefully your son would, too, but I see your anticipation about 4 sea days.

The ports are great! You can just make Grand Turk & HMC beach days if you wanted. GT also has a HUGE pool right there at Margaritaville. HMC is a gorgeous beach and has play things for the little ones. Nassau is not on my list of faves because I've been there alot, but plenty of things to choose from.

Good luck!

I took my 3 year old DS on the Explorer in Sept. He had so much fun. He still talks about the ice show. We managed to get front row seats for that and he was just enthralled. The kids club (Adventure Ocean) was hit or miss for him. Some days he was just fine and others he'd want to leave after just a short while. No fault of AO, he just wanted mommy and daddy.

There was plenty to keep him entertained. We played in the arcade, went to the shows, played in the kids pool (which was scarily slippery BTW, if you go definitely bring water shoes).

We had no complaints regarding the food. We had my time dining and found that worked really well for us.

Leaving out of Bayonne was a breeze, easiest embarkation ever!

Archived