Spending the night - Orlando or Cocoa Beach?

cruiser4four

Hi all, we are cruising on the Dream in January. We will be flying in the day before but we can't decide whether to spend the night in Orlando then drive to the port on Saturday morning or simply drive to Port Canaveral the day we arrive in Florida. It all comes down to things to do that night and hotels. What would you suggest?

Also, what would be easier, renting a car to drive to Port Canaveral or taking the shuttle? I know, I know, there's a whole thread about Port Canaveral but believe it or not, I'm still a bit fuzzy on that issue. Thanks again.

It really does depend on what you want to do the night before, we decided to stay in Orlando (with our two sons 19 & 15) because we want to hit the outlets again! and we definitely rent a car because for the 4 of us it's definitely cheaper than the shuttle. We rent from Hertz from airport and drop it off at Cape Canaveral and they drive us to the port - same thing for the return trip. We found Hertz to be very reliable with great drop off and pick up service. We did this this past summer for a 4-day cruise and it worked just great. Also, when we were looking for a hotel in Cocoa Beach the prices were way up compared to Orlando but that was probably because of the shuttle that was supposed to be on Feb. 26th and got pushed back one day, but we still decided to stay in Orlando because we enjoy it there - we are also staying for 2 nights prior.

When we went in April we rented a car from Budget at the airport and drove to Cocoa Beach and spent the night. We flew in early and were able to take a nice walk on the beach and watch the sunset. Had a nice dinner and did some shopping in the morning before dropping the car off at Budget near the cruise terminal.

Hi all, we are cruising on the Dream in January. We will be flying in the day before but we can't decide whether to spend the night in Orlando then drive to the port on Saturday morning or simply drive to Port Canaveral the day we arrive in Florida. It all comes down to things to do that night and hotels. What would you suggest?

Also, what would be easier, renting a car to drive to Port Canaveral or taking the shuttle? I know, I know, there's a whole thread about Port Canaveral but believe it or not, I'm still a bit fuzzy on that issue. Thanks again.

I say Cocoa Beach, and please if you're a seafood lover, go to Fish Lips for dinner, yum-yum.

When we went in April we rented a car from Budget at the airport and drove to Cocoa Beach and spent the night. We flew in early and were able to take a nice walk on the beach and watch the sunset. Had a nice dinner and did some shopping in the morning before dropping the car off at Budget near the cruise terminal.

How did you watch the sunset at the beach? It sets over land. Just curious.

My wife and I are staying in Cocoa Beach at the Courtyard by Marriott for a couple of days before our Dream cruise. Liked the location and the package included airport to hotel to ship and back to airport transfers as part of the deal. Have a great cruise!

My wife and I are staying in Cocoa Beach at the Courtyard by Marriott for a couple of days before our Dream cruise. Liked the location and the package included airport to hotel to ship and back to airport transfers as part of the deal. Have a great cruise!

I have the same package for next January 14. How was the hotel (cleanliness, bedbugs). Thank you

First off, thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to read and reply.

It's only two of us so we're not sure as yet if we will take the shuttle or rent a car from the airport to Cocoa Beach. I like the idea of renting a car so we can take our time and get there at our own pace. I know nothing about Florida or the trip to the port (trying to read up on it) so I'm not sure if there's anything to see along the way.

drychi and saphir, how much did the package cost? We've seen some hotel rooms for $70 a night, but that doesn't include transportation to the port.

When we went on the Dream last july, we rented a car, great pricing, stayed at a hotel (we were also able to look around by having the rental) we trurned it in the next day and we were given a free ride to Port Canaveral, and they picked us up from the ship when we were back in port.

We had a car waiting for us, and we went to the Outlet as we never book an early flight, it was a good way to end the week. Have a wonderful cruise on the Dream!!

I would definitely recommend Cocoa Beach and renting a car. We've done this twice and it was great. We go to dinner, stop at the store for diet coke, visit the beach and have some tasty seafood. Then the next morning, we have a short drive to return the car and take a free shuttle to the pier.

First off, thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to read and reply.

It's only two of us so we're not sure as yet if we will take the shuttle or rent a car from the airport to Cocoa Beach. I like the idea of renting a car so we can take our time and get there at our own pace. I know nothing about Florida or the trip to the port (trying to read up on it) so I'm not sure if there's anything to see along the way.

drychi and saphir, how much did the package cost? We've seen some hotel rooms for $70 a night, but that doesn't include transportation to the port.

I live in the Orlando area and there is plenty to do in either city. I would say rent a car and stay in Cocoa Beach. There really isn't any sites to see on 528 also know as the Bee Line between Orlando and Cocoa but once in Cocoa you have have gift shops just like Orlando and then there is Ron Jons Surf Shop which everyone seems to enjoy it is huge and has just about everything. You can also wait to buy anything you don't want to pack due to airline restrictions which I know nothing about( sorry :-) ) because there is a Wal-Mart,Wal-Greens,CVS,Publix, and Winn Dixie all in the area and an ABC liquer store too. Fish Lips on the Jetty is a great place to eat especially if you like seafood. I hope this helps you out a little bit. Have a great cruise.

Archived