sailing from san juan

mysh442olds

It may be different for a first embarkation, but when we were in S.J. on our recent cruise, it was just like the op said - lots of folks carried stuff right past the naughty table and on board the ship - I'd say it's worth a shot once you've initially checked in ... worst case you get an inexpensive bottle to take home after ...

we sailed from there last March, they x ray all your stuff and put a cable tie on it if they saw anything in it and then you walk on up to a table where if it had a tie on it they opened it up and took it out. lots of people cut the tie off before they arrived. dont know if it is still the same.

Just came from there and here is where I think folks were making there mistake....when you come from the duty free store they bag and tie your bag and then folks carried those thru security and to the door of the ship where they were collected. Once you go through security is when you need to put it in your carry on bag and just stay in the line to board the ship. If you look confused and ask questions the answer will be to check it and get it back the last night of the cruise. If you stuff it in a bag and move on like nothing is going down then you will be fine.

Now should it get taken...some of ours did from our suitcase becouse I took my travel iron and that set off the machine, each port has stores where you can buy...we started carring an empty water bottle and we would buy the small bottles and transfer and walk right on the ship. My son carried a sprite bottle full of rum right through with no problem. We are not drunks so for us just being able to have a few drinks in our cabin or on deck was nice and at $8 a drink now it was def worth it

We sailed out of San Juan December 2009. I had read all the reports that you go to the liquor store then onto the ship without problems. We headed to the liquor store and stocked up.

Well, after carry-on bags went through the scanners, some bags were tagged with a sticker. Those people were asked to move to a different table...actually I was guided by the elbow to the "table". Husband picked off the sticker and sailed right on in. Too bad, he did NOT share his observation. My rum was confiscated, but they missed the amaretto.

So, if you see a sticker or a cable tie or something identifying...take it off before you get to the ship!

Have fun!

Archived