Your Thoughts...

shsabres

I have gone on a few cruises, and am planning my next one. I am going to be taking my wife, as usual, but my parents want to go on their first one too! I have been researching itineraries and wanted your thoughts on the following cruise:

01/2012:

Leave from Fort Lauderdale on 8 day cruise

Fort Lauderdale

Day @ Sea

San Juan

St. Thomas

Antigua

Tortola, BVI

Day @ Sea

Nassau

I have been to Nassau and St. Thomas. Nassau was gorgeous and St. Thomas wasn't that bad. The cruise is going to be around $1200/pp so was wondering what your opinion is on San Juan/Antigua/Tortola. If they are not so desirable I may choose a different cruise. But any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on how ambulatory the parents are with regards to the ports. The Baths in Tortola are a must to see but involve a lot of walking and even climbing. We love San Juan to just walk around through the old city and out to the fort. This is a really nice cruise otherwise.

This is a great initerary. Keep in mind (if your parents are getting older) that the Baths are quite a physical challenge for the elderly and those not in good shape.

San juan can also be a challenge for the walking.

If you can get past the walking for your parents- this is a great cruise. the freedom is a great ship.

Here's a different perspective. I'm not sure I would take 1st time cruisers on an 8 day cruise. What if they don't like it? That would be a miserable time for all if that is the case. (Although I love cruising and would love to do a 14 day. :p ) Whatever you decide, happy cruising.

Here's a different perspective. I'm not sure I would take 1st time cruisers on an 8 day cruise. What if they don't like it? That would be a miserable time for all if that is the case. (Although I love cruising and would love to do a 14 day. :p ) Whatever you decide, happy cruising.

Good perspective. I had to start out with a three day cruise to the Bahamas, just to see if I would like it. I didn't want to get off the ship during debarkment but at least I knew i loved cruising.

I was thinking the same thing....we did a 4 day four our first cruise - not too short and not too long and obviously we loved it and have been back for several more.

We took my parents for their first cruise also on a 4 day and they too thought it was just perfect for a first time out. They are looking to book their first week long one.

What if someone has seasickness and didn't know it until they cruised for the first time? That could be a miserable week for them, even with medication. But they are adults and if they and you think they will like it enough, then have a great time together! We want to do that same itinerary next. :D

Archived