Shopping for Jade jewelry...

cigloo

Hi all,

We are going to be in Asia for a cruise and wanted to buy some Jade jewlery for our Mom's and my wife. Where is the best place for our ports - Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand or Singapore?

Also, any ideas "how to buy jade"? I have been searching and not finding a real good resource.

Thanks in advance from a husband who better shop well :D

Hi all,

We are going to be in Asia for a cruise and wanted to buy some Jade jewlery for our Mom's and my wife. Where is the best place for our ports - Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand or Singapore?

Also, any ideas "how to buy jade"? I have been searching and not finding a real good resource.

Thanks in advance from a husband who better shop well :D

If you want some relatively reasonably priced Jade a good place to go is the Jade Market in Hong Kong. Now his is very reasonably priced Jade. A link to take you to the web site for the market is as follows.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/attractions/kln-jade-market.html

If you want to spend more then you will find jewelry store after jewelry store in Hong Kong.

We also saw a fair amount of Jade in Vietnam.

In Bangkok, if you like Silk there are many nice places to look at. A favorite place for us which has locations in Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket and I believe a few other locations in Thailand and in Singapore is Jim Thompson's. They carry items for men and for women. The following is a link to their web site.

http://www.jimthompson.com/index.asp

Keith

Shane Jewelers-one of the largest wholesalers in the West/SW of the US SWEARS buying colored stones in Bangkok is the best value. They buy all their stones in Bangkok.

Please read through this BEFORE you go buying colored stones in Bangkok. There are many other cautionary warnings on the internet. PLEASE know what you are buying. I don't do jewelry, so cannot advise you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7410291_buy-gems-thailand.html

Jade comes in many different varieties. I can honestly say that most jades that you find in Jade Markets are not the real thing. You need to know how to tell the differences. Nowadays they can make stones to look like jade by injecting color and other substances into them. I would not attempt to purchase jade unless I know and trust the person selling them. If authenticity is not what you care about then you will be able to buy green stones in many places, cheap.

Archived