Magen's Bay and shopping in Charlotte Amalie

Jo2310

Hi everyone. Can someone tell me the best way to do beach and shopping on our own. Our ship docks at 10am and leaves at 8pm. We want to shop and walk in Charlotte Amalie and go to Magen's bay. Should we go to the beach first thing as there will be 5 ships in port that day, or go to Charlotte Amalie first? should we take a taxi? I'm not sure whether we should shop first then go back to ship then take taxi to beach? or beach first and then directly to Charlotte Amalie? we are a family of 4 and need to watch our budget. Thanks.

Especially since you want to do this on your own, always do whatever is farthest from the ship first. That way if you are delayed in getting back it is not a problem. Going to town to shop is not far from the ship. It is a short taxi ride or about a 30 min. walk. Taxi's are trucks converted with bench seats in the back for as many as 15-20 passengers and are very abundant.

Especially since you want to do this on your own, always do whatever is farthest from the ship first. That way if you are delayed in getting back it is not a problem. Going to town to shop is not far from the ship. It is a short taxi ride or about a 30 min. walk. Taxi's are trucks converted with bench seats in the back for as many as 15-20 passengers and are very abundant.

How far away in the beach? Thanks

Is there an open air market in town? Does anyone know where the best shopping is? We have done Havensight in the past, but would like to go in town this time.

There is a flea market on the main road going into town from the direction of Havensight. You can't miss it, it is just before you get to the shops in town.

Thanks, Travelbig, I've never seen it. I'm sure we will scope out the shopping on our ride to Magen's. We were there in 2004 and the cab driver pointed out all points of interest on he way, I hope they still do that. We are going with friends who have never seen Magen's, it's a must this time.

Thanks, Travelbig, I've never seen it. I'm sure we will scope out the shopping on our ride to Magen's. We were there in 2004 and the cab driver pointed out all points of interest on he way, I hope they still do that. We are going with friends who have never seen Magen's, it's a must this time.

Be careful !!! We were robbed at maagens bay in october. The police told DH and I that the crime is really bad. We've been there many times, and it actually held a special memory for us, but now...I think it will be a long time before we go again, if we go again. (And we use to go a couple times a year!)

Archived