Duty free from UK to Barbados

Mrs Moho

We are travelling to Barbados in March to join Sea Princess. Our friends who have just returned from a P&O cruise were told in Manchester Airport Duty Free that they couldn't purchase alcohol to take into Barbados nor was any available to purchase on the flight out. This apparently is nothing to do with the cruise company - it is something to do with Barbados Customs. Has anybody else heard about this? We have checked official Barbados Tourism websites and can't see anything about it. We had other friends who travelled there in October and had no problem.

We are travelling to Barbados in March to join Sea Princess. Our friends who have just returned from a P&O cruise were told in Manchester Airport Duty Free that they couldn't purchase alcohol to take into Barbados nor was any available to purchase on the flight out. This apparently is nothing to do with the cruise company - it is something to do with Barbados Customs. Has anybody else heard about this? We have checked official Barbados Tourism websites and can't see anything about it. We had other friends who travelled there in October and had no problem.

I've never heard of this either. Duty free is always available on inbound and outbound at the airport. It is even available to locals coming back/going to and from holiday.

we were given a similar warning just a few weeks ago at Gatwick when purchasing cigars to take on a cruise starting from Barbados. I bought 200 cigars anyway (for 2 people) but the checkout operator then had to fill in a log which I had to sign. She said it was to record the fact that she had warned me about the rules in Barbados regarding duty free. On arrival in Barbados, we walked off the plane into the waiting transport with no problem at all. I don't even remember if we even went through customs there.

Hi there.

I had read about the problems with duty free at Barbados as well and decided to have a look around to see if I could find anything about it.

I came across John@best beaches barbados and I e-mailed him.

He e-mailed me back saying that there is an on-going issue with taking duty free cigs into Barbados . ie your can no long do so and will be charged duty on any you do take in - even although the official website still states that you can take 200 cigs through customs and it was all a bit haphazard ie depended on who was on duty when you go through.

But he e-mailed again today----- Quote "it's now official" Uquote ---he's just got back to barbados today (he works there 5 mths of the year)and he spoke to customs and they said that they will be checking everyone coming through and that tax will be payable on all cigs brought through.

hope this helps Elaine

Hi Elaine

Thanks for your reply, my husband has read about the cigarettes which doesnt really affect us but we were curious about the alcohol policy. I see you're on Sea Princess soon - not a bit envious - honest!! but won't be long before we're on after you.

Have a good trip and thanks again for your reply

Maureen.

Archived