Dog sledding on the Mendehall Glacier question

Poohx2

Hi,

We will be cruising Alaska in August. We are thinking of doing dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier. I know that for the helicopter that if you weigh over 250 lbs. you need to purchase a ticket and a half. None of us will be over 250 but I wonder what the weight limit is on the helicopter? The excursion says that your party may be separated but I know my 14 yr. old daughter will not get on a helicopter with me or her Dad. So I am wondering if the 4 of us will be able to get on one helicopter. Does anyone know the total weight limit for the helicopters? Thanks.

Not sure of the exact total weight , but our family did this excursion a few years ago. There were 5 of us and my husband weighed over 250 lbs, together we all weighed around 700 lbs plus the pilot. They seemed more concerned about distributing the weight, then the weight itself. It was a great excursion one you will always remember.

As to weight limit you can be sure they will make sure your total group isn't going to be too heavy :D

Be warned that if you go late in August and if the weather is warm there is a chance that the dog sledding will be shut down. They need to run on snow and thru the summer that melts off to ice.

Also be aware because of the altitude they fly to it is often canceled so have alternative plans.

Good luck!

Hi,

We will be cruising Alaska in August. We are thinking of doing dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier. I know that for the helicopter that if you weigh over 250 lbs. you need to purchase a ticket and a half. None of us will be over 250 but I wonder what the weight limit is on the helicopter? The excursion says that your party may be separated but I know my 14 yr. old daughter will not get on a helicopter with me or her Dad. So I am wondering if the 4 of us will be able to get on one helicopter. Does anyone know the total weight limit for the helicopters? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies! We will probably be about 700lbs. It does seem like a memorable excursion.

We are on an Aug. 9th cruise so hopefully there will not be too much melted ice. Thanks for letting me know that is gets cancelled a lot. I will definitely have a plan B.

We took this excursion, I am sure they will make sure your family is together. Mostly they want to even out the weight in the helicopter. With us, family of 3, my husband sat in the back seat while my son and I got to sit upfront with the pilot.

It was an amazing experience, you will love it.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Archived