1st Family Disney Cruise - Jan 29,2011

Donnalynne

Well our family is certainly very excited as we are getting ready to go on our first Disney Cruise. Our 2 granddaughters are 2 and 6.

1. How do we register the 6 year old for the Princess Tea Party? We have heard there is one but can't find any info about them other than you have to have a ticket for it and it fills up fast.

2. Have also heard that we can have the use of a stroller for the week. The little one is pretty independent but she does get tired of walking and getting heavy to carry. Any info on strollers?

Thank you.

Yes we have done the Eastern several times. Including with small grandkids.:)

St, Maartin I would suggest the Butterfly farm. Then if you want you should have plenty of time to shop either before or after the tour too.

Right at the port on the left side there is a water taxi that takes you across the bay to the shopping area. Dont remember the price but it was cheap for round trip tickets and only takes 5 minutes.

Once you get off to shop you will have blocks and blocks to explore, plus if one adult wants to watch the kids while the other shops there are nice beaches there with shallow water. You can rent chairs and umbrellas there really cheap too. So kids can play while someone watches and the other one shops. So alittle something for grown ups too.

St. Thomas has a Butterfly farm too. It also has a sky tram tha tyou can do on your own. At the top is a cool tropical bird who and a great view.

If you dock, just walk across the shopping area to the highway and walk to your left for about a block and its right across the street fom you.

If you tender in there is afree shuttle to take you to the shopping area.

Also what I would really recommend is Coral World with the semi sub.

Coral world is a small aquarium place. It does have an underwater viewing area where you see fish in their natural area in the ocean. Steps are a bit steep but kids can do them ok, just hold the rail. They ave a few open water tanks to view different aquatic things and an area full of Igunanas too. Its a great half day place to go with kids. East even for smallkids to see.

The semi sub is large inside so not to worry about feeling closed in. If the water is having a clear day you will see alot, if not you wills tills ee a few fish and ship wrecks. Everyone will have their own window, even the kids. They have a scuba diver who will feed fish to bring them close to EVERY window too. He also will look for star fish or sand dollars or octopus to hold up to every window for you to see. I think their website is just www.coralworld.com

So you can check it out. Its more relaxed for kids and no long lines any where. Nice snack bar and gift shop. It does take about 35 minutes dive to get there so you might bring something to entertain the kids for the ride. That is m y #1 choice for young kids.

Other than that just beach excursions but watch out for those too if you embarass easily. Most beaches are clothing optional on the islands.

Kids can come up with some great questions there. Ha Ha!!

I always figure Castaway Cay is our beach day so we try to do other things on the islands.

Remember, NO water fountains on the islands to bring your own.It costs a fortune to buy on the islands. They will sell ice cold water bottles as you exit the ship. I always just bring an empty bottle with me and fill it on the ship to take with me.

Be cautious of buying bottles water from street vendors, stores are ok if you must buys some. Vendors have occassional been caught selling water in used water bottles they washed out. Their trick is they open it up as they hand it to you as if to be doing a nice thing fo ryou, but its really so you dont know it wasnt sealed.

On excursions bathrooms are good but if you go shopping and need one they are often not up to our standards,s o carry travel size seat covers, toilet paper and hand sanitizer in your bag, just in case. We went years with no problem then 3 times ran into problems and was so happy I had stuff with me. Often an attendant will be there wanting a tip for you to use the bathroom too. Dont feel you need to tip but if the bathroom is extra clean then do it if you want. I just think its crazy to have to tip to use the bathroom.

Hope that helps you some. The islands are beautiful.

Kathy

Thank you for your info. Tried to pre-book a stroller but couldn't but I may try again. No where can I find any information about a safety drill on the ship and I am sure there must be one when you first get on?

Thank you for your info. Tried to pre-book a stroller but couldn't but I may try again. No where can I find any information about a safety drill on the ship and I am sure there must be one when you first get on?

The safety drill the first day around 4 if i remember correctly.

Your life jackets are in your closet in your room. We go to our room 10 minutes before the drill and put them on. They require that you wear them. If you dont they will stop you at your meeting area and make you wear it for the drill.

There is a route on the back of your cabin door to direct you plus crew memebers along the way. Bu the numbe ron your life jacket they know where to direct you to, It is about 15 to 20 minutes all together.

As soon as thats over and you put away your Life jacket it iwll be time to head up to the deck 9 Sail Away party. Or deck 10.

We like deck 10 so when we start to pull out we walk away from the party and watch us go out the channel. Of coruse you can do that from deck 9 too but there are so many people its just easier from deck 10.

With kids I recommend deck 9 and get up as close ot the stage as you can because Mickey and friends will come out before the show is over.

One suggestion about the stroller is to get an umbrealls stroller. You can get them really cheap and they fold up really small for storage. They are so easy to push around the ship and in ports because they are so small.

Many take them to the dinign room in case the child falls asleep. It wont take up much room and the waiter will remove the chair to make room for it if you decide to use it.

Airplanes have storage for them if you ask in the cabin area. Just have a name tag on it.

Then if you dont want to keep it, you can just leave it on board and your not out much money .

I have heard of people who go to Roll call threads for the cruise after theirs to find someone who needs an umbrella stroller and then you leave it with guest services with the next guests name and room number and they will put it in their room for them. Or ask your room host to see to it, they will. That way someone else gets some use out of it.

Kathy

Archived