Outside Tourist Village

Boatingmom

:eek:Truthfully....What is it really like outside tourist village in belize City? When traveling we want to see the local culture. We're used toTimes Square in NYC and know when to be cautious. My niece spent a semester in the countryside of Belize and thoroughly enjoyed it. But, can I take my 13 and 11 year old outside the gates for a walking tour or should I just stayin TV or on the ship?? :confused:

:eek:Truthfully....What is it really like outside tourist village in belize City? When traveling we want to see the local culture. We're used toTimes Square in NYC and know when to be cautious. My niece spent a semester in the countryside of Belize and thoroughly enjoyed it. But, can I take my 13 and 11 year old outside the gates for a walking tour or should I just stayin TV or on the ship?? :confused:

Of course you can. Be sure to have ID and your ships card to get back in.

We wandered around last year - myself and my 17 year old daughter. We kept getting asked if we wanted to buy things. We said no. I did get an offer from someone to buy her, to which I also said no. We went into a few stores, but didn't really see anything we wanted. Things seemed safe enough. Kathy

See this thread for wahts beyond the gates of the TV.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1326171

I'm not sure you'll get a flavor of Belizean culture on a walking tour. Belize City is a working city and not a lot there to attract tourists. But you will get a sense of how people live and work in the city. You'll certainly see the country side on a ruins tour or while heading toward cave tubing though.

Archived