Miracle Spa Issues

wilddinodog

Just returned from a fantastic cruise on the Miracle. The Spa has some real issues and just a warning to others.

First of all the running machines on the Carnival Miracle are dangerous. Although on a daily basis several are unserviceable (marked as awaiting repair) Many of those being operated were still not working correctly with the belt slipping on nearly all but a few. Personally I nearly fell off at least three machines and from speaking to other passengers it was apparent that I was not alone. If not resolved an individual (possibly elderly) will injure themselves and this needs to be acted upon immediately. I did report this to members of the staff and was told it was due to the amount of very overweight individuals who use the machines! Staff do not appear to be interested in hearing about these issues in fact it was very rare to see a member of staff in the gym monitoring such instances.

Secondly there is an issue regarding the hard sell of products in the spa, particularly my experience with one of the staff members. My wife booked us on a bio check that would check our water levels and give us some information on our toxin levels. We paid for this under a so called 'special offer' of $50 per couple. What followed was the instructor measuring our water levels and explaining how the system worked. This was very interesting, however it then turned into a hard sell with an attempt to push us into buying over $600 of anti toxin products each. We obviously said no, he gave us no real information, just a diagram on a piece of paper and expected us to pass with $1200, I don't think so! Furthermore, from this point when he realised we were not going to buy his veil of sincerity quickly disappeared and he even had the cheek to ask for a tip! Speaking to other guests we were not alone and there is a massive push on these so called anti toxin products.

We have written to the spa management company to air our views but you have been warned.

Only issue, other than that everything was great I will do a full review when I get time.

I had a cruise roomie sucked into those spa stuff .. she walked off the ship and her bill (just hers) was $3200. I didnt know her well enough to say, stop it .. but seemed dumb to me since she was charging it, didnt have it in the bank.

I did a mini facial with foot & hand massages on the Liberty (which was FANTASTIC!). My spa person was very friendly, and I enjoyed all of it.

Until she explained how dry my skin was (I may not have baby moist skin, but I'm no alligator!), and offered to sell me a bottle of stuff for $98. I told her that I'd been in salt water for three days and that morning I hadn't moisturized. "Oh no, it's MUCH worse than that". She was okay when I told her I'd have to talk with my husband, but she wasn't thrilled.

I am guessing they get commission on whatever products they push...

But I wouldn't let it stop me from another one of these treatments!!! (I'm imagining it right now - LOL)

Yes what really angered me was the fact that over half the running machines wern't working and the spa staff didn't really care. I spoke to another passenger who said she felt the same as me and when she asked who checks to make sure everything was working ok she was told the lady who changes the towels!

Thanks for the warning, and glad to see that you made a point to let them know about it. Most people don't even do that.

Hopefully the machines will eventually be serviced by a qualified technician, but I won't hold my breath.

We are sailing the Miracle in March with our 2-year old, so I'm anxious to see your review!

Yea don't hold your breath. I complained initially to the service desk; they appeared to side with the spa staff saying the sell is all part of the service. They did appologise eventually but it's an obvious push from the gym staff. Not really blaming the gym staff they are probably under pressure to do the sale but I find it hard to believe that anyone would part with that amount of money.

... Not really blaming the gym staff they are probably under pressure to do the sale but I find it hard to believe that anyone would part with that amount of money.

Agree...I had my hair done while on a cruise and as soon as the hairdresser started putting cream under my eyes, which I agree felt great, and started lining up some hair products I stated I had no intention at all of buying any product so he may want to save his time with the sales pitch. He stated they were required to tell patrons about a couple of products so would it be ok if he just said what they were & the price. I politely listened to him say his bit, gave no reaction or feedback, and when done said, "Of course you already know I'm not buying but thanks for that info." and brought the conversation back to my hair. I am shocked that someone would buy $3,200. worth of products/spa services!!!! Can't even imagine what could amount to that.

I utilize the spa on the ships quite a bit and enjoy all the services and the technicians. I know they are required to pitch the products, which are pricey. I do find I like the products, and for me, they work. The prices on the Elemis brands are close to waht I use at home, so IF I need something, I am more than willing to buy from them. However, I make a point of telling them up front that I already use the products and do not need any at this time, which for me has reduced the sales pitch.

On a HAL crusie one time, a lday told me the spa therapist went on about how bad her skin was and then asked what she used at home. The lady replied, Elemis. This is what the tech was pushing, so that stopped the pitch cold!

Even when going to a new spa at home I find myself bombarded with pitches for their product. It is "always the best for you!" Just be prepared to have sales resistance and enjoy the treatments. The spa are great. I would not want to miss out on the pampering while at sea just because of a hard sell.

When I get the sales pitch I let them go on and on then say thanks but no thanks!! If they want to talk I let them go most of the time I am not listening. If its something they have to do I let them. I know thats bad but I'm there so why not!!

LOL, I'll admit that my BF and I got suckered into the sales pitch after our couples massage after the last port. Our bill wasn't anywhere near $3200 though, or ever $1000. The treatment for the 2 of us was $200 for 90 mins head to toe which was absolutely wonderful. The extras at the end was a little over $300, which still sits under my bathroom sink unopened. Whoops, won't be doing that again! :o

RESULT-Had an email from Steiner Beauty Products (who manage the spa) They have refunded my $50. Also I was keen to hear them say that " Our spa staff are trained to offer home care advice at the conclusion of each spa treatment as this allows our customers to continue the benefits of their treatment once home. However the products are supposed to be introduced at the completion of the treatment in a non- invasive manner" They say they are going to investigate:) Also they have passed the buck back to carnival regarding the upkeep of the running machines "The maintenance of the equipment in the gymnasium is the responsibility of the cruise line" - what is the point of having the gym staff thee then? Have you ever been into a gym and the staff don't get involved in making sure the equipment is safe or working?

If anyone else has issues please make sure you state your concerns in a clear and assertive manner.

Archived