Kuranda from PD

lynsteve

Has anyone done the cable car and train trips from Port Douglas comfortably in the time a ship is anchored at Port Douglas. Our ship, the Radiance, is anchored off PD between 10am and 20.00 hrs.

Is it possible to hire a car and do it on your own.

stevo

I've done the Kuranda trip twice from PD, once on our own and once on a bus tour. Technically, you have enough time to do the train and Skyrail trips, but the problem is that the train only travels at certain times and, according to the timetable on the train's website, you get into PD too late to do any of the morning trains. It's possible that you could do a morning Skyrail trip and take the afternoon train back down, but the last train leaves Kuranda at 3:30 pm so you would have little time to spend in Kuranda. Assuming you arrive in PD at 10am, it will be likely be noon before you reach the Skyrail station. You should allow at least 1 hour to take the Skyrail up to Kuranda so that you can get off at the interim stations and see the rainforest up close.

While we rented a car once and did the trip on our own, it involved some extra logistics. The train station and the Skyrail station are not near each other, so you have to arrange to take a shuttle bus between the two.

If you want to do this trip, I would definitely talk to the folks at Skyrail and the Kuranda train to double-check the train and Skyrail timetables and to see if there are any bus tours that could meet your time constraints. (A bus would be a much easier option than driving yourself.)

Given the research done by GradUT, I would say forget the train and take the skyrail both ways. The stop in the middle is a nice walk through the rainforest. Kuranda is interesting enough and though I thouroughly enjoyed the train (more than the skyrail-don't like heights) I would take a deep breath or two and go the arial route.

Or, just head for the Daintree Rainforest.

We spent time in Cairns after our cruise and did the skyrail to Kuranda on our own. The train takes a about 2 hours one way, but the skyrail only took about 45 minutes one way. Depending on how much you'd like to look around at the rainforest stops, You could spend only about 2 hours total on the skyrail. Kuranda is not very big, but definitely worth the trip. We only spend about 3 hours there before we were out of things to do.

• 4 months later...

I live in Cairns, and have done both trips. I would suggest just doing the skyrail by itself. The road trip from PD to Smithfield can take about 1hr depending on road works, the trip on skyrail takes about 45 mins both ways, depending on the amount of time you stop at Red Peak and the Barron Gorge. Then there is Kuranda to see. There is a butterfly farm you shouldn't miss, and the 2 markets and a nocturnal show. Then down again and back to PD. I am not sure how long you are in port, but busses are not a great idea. Think about hiring a car, leaving it at the bottom skyrail park, do a up and down trip, drive back to PD. It just depends on how long you have and how long you stay up top. Hope this helps:)

Train trip and cable car would be difficult in your time frame and as nice as Kuranda is it is still just a market. Think about some where like Hartleys croc farm for a full day or a trip to Daintree if you hire a car

Bob

Archived